Awaiting Activation

Tight budget for rear end

I currently have '01 WS6 M6 that's daily driver. The car is pretty much stock except for cat-back and air filter. For the past year my rear end has been making a very loud noise, especailly on the highway. I was advised by a mechanic that it would need a rebuild that can cost up to $700. Now being that I am going to get laid off in May and going back to school in the fall, I am wondering what rear end to get. With the tax returns I can afford a rear from Midwest performance, but with my current situation I think I can put the 3k to better use (sad to say because I really want to go with MWP). I was thinking about going to junk yark and finding direct replacement? Would this be better or are there better options out there? Thanks for the help.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

If you're going to replace the rear, IMO you'd be better off going with a 9" instead of a stock replacement. They are pricey, but it would be a better choice in the end. You're in Aurora, OH? I might be able to look at it for you if this is where you're at. I've got a few parts laying around too. Might save you some $$$, at least to get you by.

Awaiting Activation
    Unfortunately I am in Aurora, IL. I apprecite the offer.
    The thing is that I don't really race this car, just my daily driver and cruiser, I rarely ever gain up on it. As I said I am going to get laid off in May and going back to school in the Fall so I might need the money that I have saved up. I did notice that prior to the loud noise it makes, the oil was leaking where the axle housing and driveshaft connect. I had it "fixed" but within a couple of days the loud whinning noise began

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Considering your job status, the choice should be clear.... as cheap as possible. Get a used replacement from the salvage yard.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1. You can always upgrade later.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I just upgraded my 3.23's with 3.73's and got the retech deluxe install kit(comes with everything to rebuild the 10 bolt) from ws6store and it cost me under $700 for parts and labor and it's like new again.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 04-03-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Awaiting Activation
    I might just go with a junker, unless someone in the Chicago land is selling one

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

if you cannot find one locally,give this guy a call,Billy Graham's Camaro.1-205-668-1169.he has a 4th gen f-body only salvage yard in Calera,AL,he also has shipped parts to Europe,so i know he can ship you one.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Buy a stock replacement save the money. They are cheap

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Find a reputable shop and fix yours...

Without specific details i can't say if you just need bearings or what...but being it's been a year i kinda am leaning toward you have bearing issues, could even be a bad u-joint...

I'll tell you what though....waiting a Y E A R is not the best thing to do when you hear a noise....

If you need bearings you are probably looking at $110 to $130 for the master bearing kit and depending on your area from $250 to $350 for labor, plus 3 qts oil....

Sure as hell is smarter to do that, then buy another pos out of a J/Y that you have no idea if it's good or not...

Just make sure of the shop that is doing your rear.....lots of "i know what im doing bs out there"

Awaiting Activation
    Thanks again everyone for the advise

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yep, i got mine done a while ago. New bearings and seals. Threw in a carrier and gears while he was in there. With the bearings, seals, and install, total was $373. Be aware though, if your bearings are bad there is a good chance that the axles are bad as well. If i were you i'd check out salvage yards and see what you find.

Thread Information