Artic white
    2001 Trans am

Ticking from the rear end

i have a lil problem yesterday i was coming back from my parents and there was and open round so i decided to wipe a little donut. it was a nice little set but the the problem is when i took off i realized that there was a ticking sound ocming from the rear end?? does anyone know what it might be??? someone said that it might be a broken tooth off my gears but i dunno.

Drivin It Like I Stole It JWSmythe's Avatar

Pewter
    '00 TransAm WS/6

If it's the sound I'm thinking it is, it's the limited slip rear end. But, it could be the U joint.

A few questions for you...

Does it make the sound when you're going straight, or just cornering?

If you have an automatic, does it THUNK when you put it in gear?

Is the sound accompanied by a ringing?

The u-joint is fairly straight forward, or at least it should be (I haven't done one on these models yet). They're generally cheap, and easy to do with some hand tools. Be careful when you jack it up. Get both back wheels off the ground, and block your front wheels very well.

If it's the limited slip differential, sometimes a fluid change will fix it. It could be more though. If it's still there after the fluid change, you should get a good shop to have a look.

Now, which is which?

If you hear it all the time going forward (at least when you can hear over the road noise and the engine), it's probably a U joint. If it dings, it could also be the U joint. The ding you hear is U joint ringing off the end of the drive shaft. You can check this by putting the car in neutral, jack the rear end off the ground (again, blocked very well), and turn the drive shaft with your hand. You'll notice play in one of the U joints.

If you only hear it when you're turning, then it's probably the rear end. It's the limited slip not quite doing it's job right. Frequently, a fluid change will clear the yuck out, and you'll drive happily for many more years.

Usually, I'd hear of the rear end making noise in the cold, but I doubt too many people are having cold weather problems right now.

I hope this helps. Without seeing the car, all any of us can do is guess. For all I know, you got something twisted up around your drive shaft or wheel, and you hear it slapping.

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

well i didnt drive it since then and just yesterday i moved in the garage and the sound was gone. so a friend and i took the fluid out the rear end and took off the pumpkin plate and looked for a broken tooth or something but nothing in the rear end. so i dunno the sound is gone but i didnt check the u joints though iam have to check that out. thanks bro for your help. oh and it did kinda sound like a slapping
    Quote Originally Posted by JWSmythe View Post
    If it's the sound I'm thinking it is, it's the limited slip rear end. But, it could be the U joint.

A few questions for you...

Does it make the sound when you're going straight, or just cornering?

If you have an automatic, does it THUNK when you put it in gear?

Is the sound accompanied by a ringing?

The u-joint is fairly straight forward, or at least it should be (I haven't done one on these models yet). They're generally cheap, and easy to do with some hand tools. Be careful when you jack it up. Get both back wheels off the ground, and block your front wheels very well.

If it's the limited slip differential, sometimes a fluid change will fix it. It could be more though. If it's still there after the fluid change, you should get a good shop to have a look.

Now, which is which?

If you hear it all the time going forward (at least when you can hear over the road noise and the engine), it's probably a U joint. If it dings, it could also be the U joint. The ding you hear is U joint ringing off the end of the drive shaft. You can check this by putting the car in neutral, jack the rear end off the ground (again, blocked very well), and turn the drive shaft with your hand. You'll notice play in one of the U joints.

If you only hear it when you're turning, then it's probably the rear end. It's the limited slip not quite doing it's job right. Frequently, a fluid change will clear the yuck out, and you'll drive happily for many more years.

Usually, I'd hear of the rear end making noise in the cold, but I doubt too many people are having cold weather problems right now.

I hope this helps. Without seeing the car, all any of us can do is guess. For all I know, you got something twisted up around your drive shaft or wheel, and you hear it slapping.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

All I can say is KABOOM!! Better get it checked out

Thread Information