Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking about getting the S60 Rear

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting the S60 Rear within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po What made you choose the s60? Just curious. 3 weeks is quite the wait IMO. I ...

Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    What made you choose the s60? Just curious.

3 weeks is quite the wait IMO. I had my 9" in 4 days.
    Well, my truck has an old dana 60 and its been good to me. Also a bit cheaper than the 9" and I believe its just as good. I know its a bit more weight but ill make it up somewhere else. The 9" has a 9 inch crown and the Dana has a 9 7/8. And from what I have read the Dana takes less power to turn than the 9" due to the pinion being off center causing more friction.. But basically it just came down to being cheaper.

Its a long wait but i'm patient especially since they are not charging my debit card until then haha!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_01_Z28 View Post
    Well, my truck has an old dana 60 and its been good to me. Also a bit cheaper than the 9" and I believe its just as good. I know its a bit more weight but ill make it up somewhere else. The 9" has a 9 inch crown and the Dana has a 9 7/8. And from what I have read the Dana takes less power to turn than the 9" due to the pinion being off center causing more friction.. But basically it just came down to being cheaper.

Its a long wait but i'm patient especially since they are not charging my debit card until then haha!
    I suppose. Doesnt sound like your in a hurry what so ever. Ive heard mixed reviews of the Dana S60 for the fbody's. Cant beat the awesomeness of being able to swap out center section though man

Good luck with the S60, its a strong rear... Im sure youll never break it

Metallic Blue

I suppose. Doesnt sound like your in a hurry what so ever. Ive heard mixed reviews of the Dana S60 for the fbody's. Cant beat the awesomeness of being able to swap out center section though man

Good luck with the S60, its a strong rear... Im sure youll never break it
    I hope not man now just the dilemma of getting a good clutch and D.S that will be just as strong. I know its nice to work on the 9" but if I never break it, I'll never have to fix it! Man racing is expensive....
    I was thinking of getting the carbon fiber D.S from PST, and the Monster stage 3 clutch as well.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_01_Z28 View Post
    I hope not man now just the dilemma of getting a good clutch and D.S that will be just as strong. I know its nice to work on the 9" but if I never break it, I'll never have to fix it! Man racing is expensive....
    I was thinking of getting the carbon fiber D.S from PST, and the Monster stage 3 clutch as well.
    Check into that CF DS stuff man. Read up on it, thought I heard some bad reviews. Maybe someone can chime in that has one. Choose the clutch wisely. I have Spec 3 as of now. I am praying it holds for at LEAST another year. I can not afford anything major to fail right now. If it does, the TA will seriously just have to sit. Racing/modding is very expensive, yes.

Metallic Blue

Check into that CF DS stuff man. Read up on it, thought I heard some bad reviews. Maybe someone can chime in that has one. Choose the clutch wisely. I have Spec 3 as of now. I am praying it holds for at LEAST another year. I can not afford anything major to fail right now. If it does, the TA will seriously just have to sit. Racing/modding is very expensive, yes.
    Thanks man, i'll look into it but this morning i woke up and decided chromoly while getting ready for work. I guess i didn't feel the need to drop 600 bucks on a carbon fiber. Also I didn't want to wait until I had the rear set up in the car and then measure and order the carbon fiber. i just bought the one strange offers and they will be shipped together so there will be no down time.
    has anyone tried that monster clutch?

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I got a dana 60 but haven't installed it yet next week or so. I did have to get a shorter driveshaft.Strange had a coupe in stock for 300 bucks so got one of those for now. Will be getting custom driveshaft when swap to auto in a few months.
    I was a bit worried on gear noise but strange said they now use oem gears so they should be quiet. I was going to order some oem or yukon gears but now guess wait and see.I have 3.54 which are also usually quieter than say 3.73 or 4.10.
    I don't need as much gear going to the auto. Have 3400 yank stall and my car has stupid power down low with the 408.

I can give an update in a few weeks on the dana.As long as its quiet I will be a happy camper. I am looking forward to some high rpm launches on the Dana. Just waiting patiently for new wheels to show up. They are on backorder it seems. Then put some et street radials on there and see what the new rear end can do.

Metallic Blue

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAWS6 View Post
    I got a dana 60 but haven't installed it yet next week or so. I did have to get a shorter driveshaft.Strange had a coupe in stock for 300 bucks so got one of those for now. Will be getting custom driveshaft when swap to auto in a few months.
    I was a bit worried on gear noise but strange said they now use oem gears so they should be quiet. I was going to order some oem or yukon gears but now guess wait and see.I have 3.54 which are also usually quieter than say 3.73 or 4.10.
    I don't need as much gear going to the auto. Have 3400 yank stall and my car has stupid power down low with the 408.

I can give an update in a few weeks on the dana.As long as its quiet I will be a happy camper. I am looking forward to some high rpm launches on the Dana. Just waiting patiently for new wheels to show up. They are on backorder it seems. Then put some et street radials on there and see what the new rear end can do.
    Cool cool, I might beat you to the testing part. My Dana should be here tomorrow, or in a few hours I should say haha! I plan on putting it in same day too. My Monster clutch should also be here later hopefully. I need to get it all in this weekend so I can go to NM and settle some scores with a dip s(*&t! from Las Cruces. I want to put a couple of hundred in town miles and the rest highway on the drive there this coming week, so I want to get it all in by saturday night. I'll see how it goes!

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Well you likely will beat me to it. My mechanic/buddy is away shortly for week or so and that means my car will sit until he gets back.Not a huge deal was planning on installing my dana when did my 4l80 which is likely a few months away still.
    What gears did you go with in yours?
    I sure hope strange told the truth about oem gears. Quiet and strong is what I want in a rear end . Stong and loud will drive me nuts.

I have had terrible luck with stock rearends. First had 4.10 in my 97 ta and the were great. Moved them over to my 99 ta and they were horrible .They were motive gm I think. Then went to richmond 3.73 and there were worse then the motives.
    Then want back to 3.42 stockers..nice and quiet again. Boring but nice and quiet.
    Now babying the stock 10 bolt until get the dana under there. Can't wait to do some high rpm launches.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

So you get yours on and running yet? We took my old rear end out yesterday and painted up the dana last night maybe give it one more coat today.
    Hoping to get it back on today. Few things not sure of. Looks like my bmr bolt on relocation brackets fit and line up so they may work on the dana.
    Also have bmr full length torque arm not sure if have to modify it to fit the dana.
    Also looks like the dana sway bar mounts are too outboard and now my hothckis sway bar may not bolt up. So might have to get another make of sway bar not into going back to stock sway bar .
    Also thought readon ls1tech about one guy that had his dana hitting his floor and think had to clearance it? Hoping don't have this problem.

It looks awesome sitting there but my main thing is quietness.I have really hoping since its got only 3.54 and strange says now they use oem gears at least think in my ratio then hoping it is quiet. My car is street not race car and quiet rear end is very important to me.

Metallic Blue

Yeah man i actually just got in from driving it around.
    I had a boo boo on my starter otherwise I would have finished it sunday afternoon but oh well.

My cousin and I took all the drive train off on sat and started putting it back together that night, I worked on it till 4:30am. We changed the rear, drive shaft, clutch, torque arm, LCA, and torque arm relocation bracket.

All the stock parts were replaced with Strange rear, BMR, and a monster clutch, chromoly D.S.

The rear has no whine from what I could tell, my car isn't exactly a quiet one so that may overpower the whine. As for the clutch I was actually expecting for it to be more aggressive. I love the way it feels, but it feels weird to think that I am able to launch it at 5k plus. I love the way it engages thought, the only difference really is that the clutch pedal feels a little more stiff than before. It's no on/off switch thats for sure!
    It did chatter just a bit that i noticed, and it was only once, but remember it was the first drive. I think you will like Dana man, made my car feel like a whole new beast. I have some pics but they are from my phone so i apologize for that in advance. I did have lots of fun with my cousin in the garage though, lots of turning bolts and stories about girls. Good times.......

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I got mine done and went for a cruise to put first 50 miles on it as per stranges instructions. I hit highway as that seemed easier and hit monster thunderstorm on way back. No hail thank god but heavy heavy rain.And here is me with my twin turbo crazy 408 and no traction control factory. no front or back sway bars and nittos with maybe 20% left. Actually the nittos worked ok I think that heavy ass dana actually helped me stay on the road tonite.It felt weird to me knowing that could finally launch it a like 6k and not be worried about breaking it. That is a cool feeling .Mine seems pretty quiet so far. I did get 3.54 and strange has told me that for last year the strange danas are getting oem gears which should be pretty quiet unless installed wrong. I didn't hear any whining might be louder but that could have been my exhaust or tires or whatever. So far so good see how it is after say 500 miles.
    My hotchkis sway bar will work but not the best fit on there so think going to a bit smaller diameter sway. I didn't put my bmr torque arm on yet have to cut the bracket at the dana end. And didn't get any instructions for it from strange or bmr. Bmr is supposed to email me the instructions.
    I also wanted to run stock torque arm to see if there was much addiitonal noise better to add things one at a time in case of problems. We didn't even bleed back brakes passed the lines over the rearends moving rear ends side by side. Lower control arms bolted right in . Shocks too . I even could use my bolt on bmr relocation brackets direct bolt into the strange. and they do give you sway bar mounts. So very plug and play install. Easy really. I got strange chrome moly shaft for now to go to my t56. Painted it and rear end.

So pretty happy camper so far.

Metallic Blue

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that stuff, but my BMR torque arm and the relocation bracket fit just fine. I did have to modify the torque arm, all I did was cut off the outer set of bolt holes from the top. I used a chop saw to make a straight cut. Thats wierd because i got a template from strange that showed where to make the cut, maybe they forgot to put one in your crate. I feel like something is bumping under my car I dunno if it is the rear hitting or the x-pipe. I just got out of work and I really don't feel like checking it right now.

Did you get an adj. torque arm? It sounds like we pretty much got most of the same stuff. I didn't drive mine for 50 miles because it was a work night and 11pm when i rolled it out of my shop. i put about 15 miles on it. I also took it to work today and got another 40 in there. They should break in fine as long as you don't mash on the throttle.

The only thing i dont understand is the angle on the rear and the d.s using the adj. torque arm. I don't guess all the cars will be the same for the simple fact that most cars are different heights. I just set mine up to where the d.s was as straight as possible to the rear end.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I have adjustable bmr full size chrome moly torque arm.
    I had spohn tunnel mount but it had terrible ground clearance on the part that went across the car. I didn't notice that much extra noise from that but was on stock rearend too.
    I had to sell it as couldn't drive it around town or onto lifts it was horrible. I got it as going to 4l80 soon and it don't have torque arm provision.

I got bmr crossmember for 4l80 with torque arm relocation to use.
    Hope its not too noisy.

My rear end don't seem to have any whine.It maybe have some growl type of noise .I have a lot of things going on in my car right now so hard to really isolate a problem if there is one. I need wheel alignment super bad. But on aftermarket kmember and its way out from the turbo install. So it will go in for that next day or two.
    I have couple mags with runout that could be also adding some noise. And can't shut my passenger window all the way as have ghetto boost guage and wideband run out the window! Yeah I know hillbilly but the car has only been running again a few weeks this season and finished up my 408 and tt kit last fall and only drove it a couple of weeks. This spring had cam sensor problem so only been driving it a few weeks again since fixed that.
    I think the dana will be ok. Did two more 50 mile cycles today. Didn't floor the pedal but did go to about 50 % and did see some boost like 5psi here and there.
    That for sure shouldn't hurt anything. No 6000k clutch dumps,no full throttle blasts.
    Will try that when get the 250 miles on it. Another 50 tommorrow for sure and mabye 50 day after. Going away for weekend .Then hammer on it a bit when get back.Got to be decently nice though as sold the t56 and tex twin to buddy. I mostly will just give it some in gear not try to powershift it or anything like that. Maybe one 5000 dump for fun. Don't have two step hooked up but still maybe could get a wheels up but only got old nittos waiting forever for my new 10.5 inch torque thrust m to show up and they are serious backorder.Then get mt et street radials or m and h drag radials not sure which ones yet. But going with street tire on second set of rims.Not going to drive on drag tires 24/7.

So that is some template they gave you or just a diagram. Anyway you can scan it to me if gave you my email. I am trying to get right one from bmr and should contact strange.I can't find anything in my box.

Metallic Blue

Stage 3 monster clutch

Chromoly D.S Custom painted by myself, I was just bored ha.

All parts before the install

The Z

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I thought there is video on maybe bmr website on setting angles?
    Also can you take a pic maybe of the mod to the torque arm paper..?
    So you are running torque arm off the trans as well? Do you think that gives much noise?

Metallic Blue

I didn't hear more noise but im probly not that good a help with that beacause my car has true duals dumps and its not quiet. Yeah i'm running the tranny bmr bracket. I'll have to check out that video. Thanks for the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information