Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Think I got burned?

I just recently purchased a 99 T/A a couple months ago and I herd a noise coming from the rear end which at the time I thought was worn tires cause they were super bald but now I am pretty sure is a right rear axle bearing. I was able to put the car on a lift and put it in drive and run it to listen for the noise and sure enough it is coming from the right rear tire. It is a howling growling type of noise. So ok I get that I have to replace the bearing but what is more desturbing is that I think the car has a v6 diff in it. When I spin the tires in neutral they both turn opposite ways not like a possi where they turn the same way and the car also has a steel driveshaft not an alumin one. Can anyone shed some light on this. Is this a diff from a v6 car?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The wheel bearing rides on the axle in the stock rear -- not unheard of for them to go bad, especially on a 15 year old car. These rears have a Torsen style posi that is different than a clutch type posi. Easiest test is to lay down some rubber and count the stripes on the pavement.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The wheel bearing rides on the axle in the stock rear -- not unheard of for them to go bad, especially on a 15 year old car. These rears have a Torsen style posi that is different than a clutch type posi. Easiest test is to lay down some rubber and count the stripes on the pavement.
    Haha that just might be the best advice I've ever seen in this forum Jeff!
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am almost certain that when I bought our car the rear wheels did exactly the same thing when I had the car on the lift. Only one sure way to find out though without popping the rear cover.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Would you like 1 stripe or 2 with your burnout sir? LOL By all means 2 of course.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

On my 98 TA the wheels would both turn in the same direction when on the lift in neutral. Also what about the driveshaft. In my 98 it was an Alumin one, my 99 is steel? I thought all ls1 came with alumin?

Red
    99 Z28

Your car auto or 6 speed

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Both my cars were auto

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

It's just weird that both rear ends are so different? When both cars are the same except for the year.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As long as it is a posi rear, internally they are the same except for maybe the ratio.

Black
    1998 & 1999 Trans Am

Well I will have the rear cover off soon to do the bearing so we will see what we got inside.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

If I remember correctly 98s had auburn clutch posi. 99-02 had the Torsen posi. Torsen posi will act funny on a lift.
    Another thing to remember is 98s are a real odd ball year. There are tons of differences between 98s and 99-02.
    I think your 99 should have and aluminum Dshaft, so you could be on to something there
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The car is 15 years old now so it's possible someone changed drive shafts at some point. What brand is the drive shaft?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I'm with Jon on this. Maybe the previous owner twisted the factory shaft while racing and had a steel one fabbed up? And I thought all 4th gens had V6 diffs. That's why they failed so easily.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I know this is a late entry but 2.73 geared cars came with a steel drive shaft. This is what was on entry level Z28's, Formula's and TA's.

Optional 3.23 gears (standard on SS and WS6) had an aluminum drive shaft.

This only applies to A4 cars as all M6 cars had an aluminum drive shaft.

I believe Cutlass is correct on the torsen, and Jim is correct on the driveshaft.

98's were still using the cone style Auburn posi units which act like everyone describes, both wheels turn the same direction when suspended in the air. 99 switched to Torsen diffs which act like lockers (but they are a screw type mechanism) the wheels will not spin the same direction when suspended in the air. One tire has to slip on the pavement before the torsen locks the other tire.

On driveshafts Jim is correct as far as I know, When it comes to automatics, steel driveshafts came in the auto's with 2.73 gears. You only got the aluminum driveshaft when the car was ordered with optional 3.23's, or when you ordered an SS or WS6 with an auto because the 3.23's were standard equipment in those cars.
    All the 6 speeds regardless of model came with 3.42's and aluminum driveshafts. You could always check the RPO codes on the automatic to see what rear gear the car came equipped with, that would lay the driveshaft dilema to rest.

So I don't believe the original poster has anything unusual going on to be suspicious about. You just had an axle bearing go bad and that's not all that uncommon.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I'm with Jon on this. Maybe the previous owner twisted the factory shaft while racing and had a steel one fabbed up? And I thought all 4th gens had V6 diffs. That's why they failed so easily.
    I'm not sure on that one...the Y87 v6 Fbody's had a posi and the standard ones didn't...with that said, it could still be a 10 bolt but just a cheaper version of it that only spins one wheel instead of 2.

Well if you guys want to look at it that way, then technically we could just call these 7.5's 4 cyl rearends, because it's the same thing they used in the Vega's and Monza's in the 70's

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You don't want the aluminum driveshaft, trust me.

Yup, and a cheap alternative that I like to do is to run the steel driveshaft. The aluminum piece was one of the first things to come out of my wifes car.

Thread Information