The t/a rearend problem

I have been looking at trans ams and i was just wanting to ask a question. I went to a dealership and drove a ws6 and the rearend hummed a little bit. Honestly at first i thought it was just the brakes were bad b/c when you slowed down it seemed more noticeable and i pointed this out to the guy. Well as we were pulling up he said i wonder if it had anything to do with the traction control and he turned off and we went back down the rode and it wasnt nearly as noticeable. I am not nieve but another dealer said he had dealt with the cars for years and they all did that even new. I said alright knowing that he just handed me a line of bull. Also underneath the car was leaking some clear fluid that fealt like oil, but i dont believe it was. Anyway i was just interested to see what you guys thought about the situation. I am still interested in buying a t/a but i dont think that is the one for me.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

The rears hum when abused/wear and tare check the pinion seal see if it is leaking sounds like the pinion bearing

White
    1998 Trans Am

Most of them will hum... Those stock ten bolt rears are junk. Knowing that, I wouldn't steer away from it if the rest of the car is great... Just plan on an upgraded rear in the future.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I never noticed any hum. Only thing I hear from the back is a slight squeak that comes from somewhere. Pretty annoying. I think it's coming from the hatch rods but I could be wrong.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our '02 WS.6 with 71,000 does not hum or make any noise. The rear pinion seal is known to leak, but it is usually just a slow weep that does not drip. This problem we do have. Clear fluid? Brake fluid could be considered "clear", but it may have simply been moisture from the exhaust system or the AC vent dripping too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

84k on mine and no noise or leaks from the rear end.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

It's common,
    Specially with gear installs or rear end rebuilds.

Mine has done it for a while now, nearly 15k. Not to worried about it.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

T/a rear end problem reply

WELL THANKS GUYS I APPRECIATE ALL OF THE HELP AND I FOUND OUT WHAT THE CLEATR FLUID MAY HAVE BEEN. I SPOKE TO A COUPLE OF FRIENDS WITH T/As AND THEY SAID IT WAS PROBABLY POWERSTEERING FLUID B/C THERES LEAKED. BUT WHAT WOULD YOU RECCOMEND DOING ABOUT THE 10 BOLT WEAK LINK? AFTER I GET THE CAR I AM NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO FIX IT UP AMMEDIATELY SO IS IT SOMETHING I COULD LET GO FOR A LITTLE WHILE BEFORE ADDRESSING THE SITUATION? I ALSO HAVE ONE OTHER QUESTION, ARE THESE CARS HARD TO WORK ON AND MORE EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO OHTER V8S? THIS CAR ALSO HAD ABOUT 130,000 MILES ON IT JUST IN CASE THAT WILL HELP COME TO A BETTER ANSWER. THANKS AGAIN!

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

130XXX how much are they asking?? i have 120xxx on mine still rocking the 10bolt itll hold up just dont do any crazy launching lol

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hard to work on? I would have to call it "challenging" -- worst thing so far is access to the #8 spark plug and changing the heater hoses. Other than that, all the regular maintenance items are pretty straighforward.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

The clear liquid that feels like oil is probably synthetic brake fluid...I just put new fluid in my Trans Am and it was water clean, I had a double take on that one.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you like the car then get it. A lil gear whine is nothing to worry about at all. My 12 bolt screams bloody murder and I still beat the crap out of it.

Thread Information