navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

T/A girdle overfull?

I just hit the 500 mi. for breakin in my new gears,and I need to know how much fluid I should put in after I drain it. Initially I put in 2 qts. Plus the additive With the t/a girdle not knowing you can put in extra fluid. So I ran it like that for about 200 miles and then it took 2 more qts. Until it came out of the fill hole on top of tje girdle. Since then,after every drive, I come back,and there will be fluid all over the underneath from the vent. how much should I fill this with? Is it normal to fill it to the hole on the girdle and fluid comes out of the vent?

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Open the original fill plug and let it drain, when it stops put the original fill plug back in and you'll be ok.

As you drive the gear builds heat and makes pressure and the added extra fluid is being forced out, just open that original plug and let it drain, when it's at the right level it'll stop and then just put the plug back in.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Thought the purpose of those girdles was too add some extra fluid for less heat buildup amd of course strength, I just thought you were supposed to fill it like that from the the girdle, so why would I have this problem?

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

You could add more, but not to that fill plug.

If you want more what you should do is this, add it till it comes out of the original plug, then close that plug off and add a 1/4 to a 1/3 more of a quart.
    More than that will be pushed out as the pressure builds from the heat.
    The girdles are really to put a very light load on the center of the caps, and they stopped drilling the girdle main brace for the fill plug and moved them up higher away from the support area.

To much fluid is good for a road race/oval car where it is going to see lots of heat, a drag car you want less fluid, a street car you want it to be full or a bit more if you're really driving it, more important on the road race/oval car and the street car are a way to keep the oil cool.

Supershafts hit on a point that I was going to mention.

The fill plug on those support girdles are moved up higher (higher than the original rearend fill plug) that's why you have fluid spilling out the vent tube. Compare both fill holes and you'll see what I mean.

Like mentioned, fill at the original fill hole at the side of the center section until it seeps out and then leave it be.

For a tad extra I tip the rearend up on the side a couple inches (to shift the oil) and add a little more. Put the plug back in and let the rearend back down level. As long as you don't get crazy with the extra fluid you won't have anything come out the vent hole. Filling at the support cover however is WAY too much.

Edit: and to add to this Supersport, since you are concerned with more fluid,,,,I beleive that even filling to the original fill hole level,,,,you still wind up with more fluid if using a support girdle because they stick out much further from the cover mounting surface on the housing than a stock cover does,,,in turn giving them slightly more capacity.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 06-17-2012 at 08:42 AM.

navy blue
    1998 camaro ss

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I just put a TA girdle on my Camaro hoping to get more use from the 10 bolt before it let's go. When I filled my rear with 75/90 and a limited slip modifier for the " Rusty Screw " issue with Torsen diffs I filled it until fluid started coming out the factory fill hole, I put the plug back in and put an extra 1/4 Qt. through the cover fill hole. It works just fine.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

it is easy to fill into the "new " hole untill fluid runs out the "old"
    no need to over fill the "old"
    Johnny

Thread Information