RED
    2000 CAMARO SS

synthetic gear lube

I'm hearing some noise from my torsen diff on decel and when turning. I recently serviced it with 80w90 and gm additive. Has anyone had any problems running regular gear oil in these diffs? The owners manual recommends gm synthetic ( $20 a quart). 2000 Camaro SS A4.

99 Firebird Formula

I don't use anything except regular gear oil and I have no problems...I don't think fluid will change anything in your rear end unless you are running low on it.

99PontTA
    i can tell you the noise is normal as long as the unit is not tore up.I've had my torsen replaced and it made noise from day one.I've tried quite a few different oils to try and quiet it down.Mobil one 75-140 helps quite a bit...its about 17 a qt.I think with the regular oil it was the noisiest.I know all that noise sounds terrible but when mine was torn down the carrier was fine.I tried the gm synthetic oil but i had trouble with the pinion seal leaking with that oil...its also very THIN...much thinner than the Mobil one.I wouldn't use it in anything.

I wouldnt worry about the noise. The only reason to really run a synthetic is if you're doing some 80+ mile open road races and don't want it to boil over. There is an addative you can buy to quiet it down but I don't think it ever made a difference for me

RED
    2000 CAMARO SS

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if the noise was normal or not. I tried the synthetic after making the post and it seemed to make little if any difference. I only hear the noise when slowing down probably below 30 mph its kind of a clanking sound and as soon as you touch the gas it quits. Does that sound like what you are hearing 99PontTa?

99PontTA
    thats exactly what i hear too.Mobil 1 75-140 will help quiet it...also if you are using Mobil 1 75-90 just try adding the GM posi additive......i'm not sure why but it helps also.I had my Torsen replaced with a Auburn...we inspected the noisey torsen carefully when it was pulled......there wasn't a dam thing wrong with it!I had the torsen put back in because i like the way the car handles better with the torsen installed.

I have a brandnew Auburn carrier if you're interested...it was silent.No clacking.

I hate to admit this but i spent over 2k on my rear chasing that effin clacking noise and the pinion seal leak.I also experimented with all different kinds of oils trying to quiet it.With Mobil 1 75-90 its very noisey..adding gm posi additive to that helps some.The quietest was the Mobil1 75-140 with the gm additive added<purdy quiet with that in it.Also you could try some LUCAS gear oil additive...it thick as snot...but it will make it quiet.I'm sure that what my HONEST LOCAL PONTIAC DEALER fkd me with...oh they put some in the engine too...so i couldn't hear the slap.All my noises started after we serviced the engine and rear.

This is what i would reccomend...if you drive normally and want max fuel mileage use Mobil 1 75-90 ...if you drive like a fool and don't give a rats azz about fuel mileage use Mobil 1 75-140.If you want quiet use the Lucas modifier or Lucas gear oil.I've never tried AMSOIL gear products but i have read they are top notch...i may go with that next time.One thing i like about the M1 is its very low Oder...its not nasty azz smelling like most other oils.

Thread Information