View Poll Results: A4 to M6 swap...do it or not?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do it!!!!!!

    1 33.33%
  • Don't do it!!!!

    2 66.67%
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Swap to M6???

This is a discussion on Swap to M6??? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have an A4 right now with a stage 2 shift kit. I have been thinking about swaping out for ...

  1. #1
    Member aquickbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, CA
    Posts
    102

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

    Question Swap to M6???

    I have an A4 right now with a stage 2 shift kit.

    I have been thinking about swaping out for an M6. The question I have is should I?

    Gas mileage?
    Problems?
    Cost?
    Perfomance?

    What are the Pro's and Con's? I have done a tranny swap on a 70 chevelle auto to manual...I know its harder on an f-body, but if he pro's beat the con's im gunna do it.
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am
    Stage 2 shift kit, 3.42 rear, QA1 12 point shocks, Straight pipes.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Camaro's look like they want to kick your ass

    Trans Am's look like they're coming.

  2. #2
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Sell the car and get an m6 or build the A4 and put a good street stall in your car. M6's do get better gas mileage and are a hoot to drive, but a good built a4 is pretty tough to beat.

  3. #3
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    Im will be doing one in the future. I have a built A4 and still want an M6. Itd be hard to find another car like mine so thats why im not gonna sell it and just buy one. I say go for it.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

    98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

  4. #4
    Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    3,779

    06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    Im will be doing one in the future. I have a built A4 and still want an M6. Itd be hard to find another car like mine so thats why im not gonna sell it and just buy one. I say go for it.
    If your car is rare why would you want to mess it up by replacing the numbers matching A4 and the original a4 consol for a m6? You are just lowering the value of your car.

  5. #5
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    I dont plan on selling the car anytime in the near future and i dont plan to stop modding it either. Its just at a weird point, i could stop now and not kill the value but i dont care about that, im into modding and i love making it faster and my more unique in its own way.

  6. #6
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Quote Originally Posted by aquickbird View Post
    I have an A4 right now with a stage 2 shift kit.

    I have been thinking about swaping out for an M6. The question I have is should I?

    Gas mileage?
    Problems?
    Cost?
    Perfomance?

    What are the Pro's and Con's? I have done a tranny swap on a 70 chevelle auto to manual...I know its harder on an f-body, but if he pro's beat the con's im gunna do it.

    Depends.. what do you use the car for?

  7. #7
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    gm high tech did it with 4 grand and 2 weekends..

  8. #8
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    ^ I dont know what would cost 4 grand??? A brand new M6 isnt even 4 grand. You can do the swap for whatever you can get a good used M6 for and the supporting parts(not too much especially iff you get them from a wreck). I have a article on it I will dig out for ya.

    If you love the car and have a bunch of money invested then do it. Otherwise sell and buy a M6 like already stated.

    ** why is the poll closed?
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 01-16-2008 at 11:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    Like I said before it mainly depends on what you use the car for.. is it a drag only car, daily driver, weekend car? what??

  10. #10
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    ^ I dont know what would cost 4 grand??? A brand new M6 isnt even 4 grand. You can do the swap for whatever you can get a good used M6 for and the supporting parts(not too much especially iff you get them from a wreck). I have a article on it I will dig out for ya.

    If you love the car and have a bunch of money invested then do it. Otherwise sell and buy a M6 like already stated.

    ** why is the poll closed?
    ALRIGHT for you ney sayers...heres how all the prices tallied up

    t56 rebuilds 6 speed -$1900
    spec stage 3+/lightweight pressure plate-$797
    spec aluminum flywheel-$399
    pro 5.0 t56 shifter-$210
    pro 5.0 shifter knob-$30
    mcleod sfi bellhousing-$530
    Master cylinder-$202
    Slave cylinder w/throwout bearing-$178
    ARP pressure plate bolt kit-$26
    ARP 11mm flywheel bolt kit-$47
    T56 crossmember-$70
    6 Speed console top-$30(est)
    Clutch pedal-$40(est)
    Nuetral safety switch-$10(est)
    Transmission mount-$0(reused stock..which is auto)
    Torque arm mount/bracket,inner-$25
    Torque arm mount/brack, outer- $15
    Clutch pedal retaining clip-$3
    Clutch pedal return spring-$38
    Clutch pedal pivot bushing (2)-$1
    Lower shifter boot-$44
    Slave cylinder bolts(2)-$8
    Trans connector(brown)-$22
    Trans connector(white/blue)-$22
    Master cylinder bolts/washer/nuts(2)-$8___________________________________________
    Total cost $4,657

    i wouldve put the part numbers ..but just wanted to show mr.lethal ..it isnt as cheap as it sounds


    EDIT:the total isnt included with the fabrication of the body for the master cylinder....and underneath the car is need to be cut 7.5 inches to accomadate the manual trans..(measured for the top of the crank)the hole starts approximately 25 inches from it...and the tune that would have to be made for the computer
    Last edited by 35thAnniZ28; 01-17-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: add some stuff

  11. #11
    Senior Member M-Ten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Pete, Florida
    Age
    27
    Posts
    2,210

    Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

    hmm with those prices, I'd say leave it auto unless it's a pure drag car.

  12. #12
    Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Parma Heights, Ohio
    Age
    27
    Posts
    891

    SOM
    99 Trans Am

    Guy on ls1tech is selling every single part you need for the swap for 2800 obo. Its a built t56 too. He swapped to an auto so he just wants it gone. Such a good deal. i wish i had the money right now. I actually have enough i just need to use it on other things first.

  13. #13
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    good opportunity..

  14. #14
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    ALRIGHT for you ney sayers...heres how all the prices tallied up

    t56 rebuilds 6 speed -$1900
    spec stage 3+/lightweight pressure plate-$797
    spec aluminum flywheel-$399
    pro 5.0 t56 shifter-$210
    pro 5.0 shifter knob-$30
    mcleod sfi bellhousing-$530
    Master cylinder-$202
    Slave cylinder w/throwout bearing-$178
    ARP pressure plate bolt kit-$26
    ARP 11mm flywheel bolt kit-$47
    T56 crossmember-$70
    6 Speed console top-$30(est)
    Clutch pedal-$40(est)
    Nuetral safety switch-$10(est)
    Transmission mount-$0(reused stock..which is auto)
    Torque arm mount/bracket,inner-$25
    Torque arm mount/brack, outer- $15
    Clutch pedal retaining clip-$3
    Clutch pedal return spring-$38
    Clutch pedal pivot bushing (2)-$1
    Lower shifter boot-$44
    Slave cylinder bolts(2)-$8
    Trans connector(brown)-$22
    Trans connector(white/blue)-$22
    Master cylinder bolts/washer/nuts(2)-$8___________________________________________
    Total cost $4,657

    i wouldve put the part numbers ..but just wanted to show mr.lethal ..it isnt as cheap as it sounds


    EDIT:the total isnt included with the fabrication of the body for the master cylinder....and underneath the car is need to be cut 7.5 inches to accomadate the manual trans..(measured for the top of the crank)the hole starts approximately 25 inches from it...and the tune that would have to be made for the computer
    Look at the shit you are talking about putting in! hahahahaha you dont need anything but stock parts dude. You are tripping.
    This shit is all extra BS a used tranny that hasnt been rebuilt off a low milage car is FINE-seen em going for around a grand. Stock bellhousing-FINE -$530.00 bellhousing-is that needed -NO , No need for a 5.0 shifter is there? sure that would be nice but really isnt ness.,A used slave cylinder isnt going to be $178.00 either. Do you really need a $797.00 stage 3 clutch/ pressure plate-NO? Or and aluminum flywheel-NO? you mean stock wont work? Or how about just getting a cpu out of a wrecked M6 instead of a retune?pshhhhhhhh. Yeah good posting there.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 01-17-2008 at 01:45 PM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    damn dood..quit ls1tech flaming me i just named the shit they put on there...forgive me for not looking over the list oh great mighty lethalxls1

  16. #16
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Flaming you?

    i wouldve put the part numbers ..but just wanted to show mr.lethal ..it isnt as cheap as it sounds

    ^ you responded to me-I responded back.

  17. #17
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    Flaming you?

    i wouldve put the part numbers ..but just wanted to show mr.lethal ..it isnt as cheap as it sounds

    ^ you responded to me-I responded back.
    yeah true im a big baby

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trans swap for swap
    By [CJ] in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
  2. Engine swap and computer swap
    By mrmiatanut in forum Computer & Tuning
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 06:10 PM
  3. To Swap, or not to swap, that is the question.
    By HasselZ28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 08:58 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 02:02 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •