Results 1 to 17 of 17

Stock rear end?

This is a discussion on Stock rear end? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was getting my oil changed at a new shop today and as my car is for sale, on of ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Stock rear end?

    I was getting my oil changed at a new shop today and as my car is for sale, on of the guys was asking questions about the car then he goes and checks it out while they're working on it and comes back and asks if i replaced the rear end because it dosn't have the stock one in it, tells me i don't have the posi rear. well this is news to me, i know the first owner put the car in a gaurd rail and replaced body panels but i didn't know about and mechanical replacements. So can someone tell me if this is the right rear end to be in a '01 Z?


    Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Member kev70ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Yorba Linda
    Age
    31
    Posts
    238

    Pewter
    2000 Camaro ss

    that looks stock to me, how does the mechanic know that you dont have a posi? Also could your posi unit have gone out?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by kev70ss View Post
    that looks stock to me, how does the mechanic know that you dont have a posi? Also could your posi unit have gone out?
    as far as i knew i did have posi, i've never had the car only spin one tire, every burnout i've ever done in the car has lit both tires off, thats why i was confused when he said it, oh and i'm not sure if he was even a mechanic i think he just changes oil so take that for what its worth...

  4. #4
    That guy thearborbarber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SoDak
    Posts
    892

    White over Red
    1991 Suburban

    I like to check with one wheel on the road and another on the shoulder in the sandy part. That way one wheel has good traction and the other doesn't have so good traction.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber View Post
    I like to check with one wheel on the road and another on the shoulder in the sandy part. That way one wheel has good traction and the other doesn't have so good traction.
    as a test to see if its working? or to see if it has posi?

  6. #6
    Member Fran D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington Crossing, PA
    Posts
    131
    If it's a Torsen posi, and the mechanic had it on a lift and just rotated the wheels, it may only spin one side, or the two may spin in opposite directions like an open rear. It's not like a clutch-style posi that most mechanics are used to. The Torsen requires torque from the driveshaft in order to lock in the drive for both axles.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran D View Post
    If it's a Torsen posi, and the mechanic had it on a lift and just rotated the wheels, it may only spin one side, or the two may spin in opposite directions like an open rear. It's not like a clutch-style posi that most mechanics are used to. The Torsen requires torque from the driveshaft in order to lock in the drive for both axles.
    is that what comes stock in these cars?

  8. #8
    Member Fran D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington Crossing, PA
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    is that what comes stock in these cars?
    Some, the other is an Auburn, which is a standard clutch-type posi. I think the Torsen is standard and the Auburn was a special order. At least, that's the way it was for my '00 SS (which is a Torsen).

  9. #9
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran D View Post
    Some, the other is an Auburn, which is a standard clutch-type posi. I think the Torsen is standard and the Auburn was a special order. At least, that's the way it was for my '00 SS (which is a Torsen).
    is there any way to tell just by looking at it like is the case shaped different or somthing? i don't think i ever saw him touch the car the whole time he was looking at it so i think the guy was just going off what he saw

  10. #10
    Member knappbunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    virginia beach
    Posts
    732

    red
    2002 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    is there any way to tell just by looking at it like is the case shaped different or somthing? i don't think i ever saw him touch the car the whole time he was looking at it so i think the guy was just going off what he saw
    it sound to me like he has no idea what in the he## he is talking about looks like stock 10 bolt and if it burns both tires posi is fine. talking to people about cars I find that 80 % of the people you find on the street have no idea what they're talking about. "ya my friend has one of those and it has 600 hp stock and it will do 6's in the quarter. It's the baddest thing I've ever seen"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Member Fran D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington Crossing, PA
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by colesherman86 View Post
    is there any way to tell just by looking at it like is the case shaped different or somthing? i don't think i ever saw him touch the car the whole time he was looking at it so i think the guy was just going off what he saw
    Nope, it's only the carrier that's different, so you need to take the diff cover off to tell.

  12. #12
    Member Jerry01ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Stephens City. Virginia
    Age
    36
    Posts
    334

    Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran D View Post
    Some, the other is an Auburn, which is a standard clutch-type posi. I think the Torsen is standard and the Auburn was a special order. At least, that's the way it was for my '00 SS (which is a Torsen).

  13. #13
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by Fran D View Post
    Nope, it's only the carrier that's different, so you need to take the diff cover off to tell.
    allright thats what i needed to know, thanks guys

  14. #14
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    it sound to me like he has no idea what in the he## he is talking about looks like stock 10 bolt and if it burns both tires posi is fine. talking to people about cars I find that 80 % of the people you find on the street have no idea what they're talking about. "ya my friend has one of those and it has 600 hp stock and it will do 6's in the quarter. It's the baddest thing I've ever seen"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    yeah when him and the guy that was actually changing my oil were talking i could hear bits and peices of what they were saying, the best line i heard was "thats the LT1 right, 330hp stock just like in the vettes"

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Yuma, Az
    Age
    36
    Posts
    195

    Black
    Domestic Supra

    Looks like a stock one to me, though you do need an alignment. You have inner toe wear on both fronts....

  16. #16
    Member jujofields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    900

    Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by CptMidway View Post
    Looks like a stock one to me, though you do need an alignment. You have inner toe wear on both fronts....
    Yep, definitely a stock 10.....

    So how's come you're getting rid of your maro?

  17. #17
    Senior Member Shermanator86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LaGrange, Indiana
    Posts
    1,238

    Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

    Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Yep, definitely a stock 10.....

    So how's come you're getting rid of your maro?
    can't afford two cars any more with going to school, looking to get a real ss or ws6 hopefully

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stock NBM z28 hood and stock 2.73 rear
    By 02Sweet in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-29-2010, 07:17 AM
  2. cam vs. stock rear
    By AB'sLs1 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 05:07 PM
  3. Stock rear, stock Rims, and lid for sale
    By jebuzws6 in forum Texas Members
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 08:39 AM
  4. NEED: Stock axles for Stock F body rear
    By rel3rd in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2006, 03:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •