Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By raynor139
  • 1 Post By kingls1

Stock axels

This is a discussion on Stock axels within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have an 00 WS6 I wanna throw 4.10's into but the gears I'm looking at have 7.5, 8.3, 8.5 ...

  1. #1
    Member 1998 T/A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Huron Ohio
    Posts
    759

    Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

    Stock axels

    I have an 00 WS6 I wanna throw 4.10's into but the gears I'm looking at have 7.5, 8.3, 8.5 etc... After the 4.10:1 ratio. What would I need for a stock 00 ws6? I thought it was 7.5 but I don't want to get the wrong ones.

  2. #2
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    If you have a 6m trans those gears will not last long if you are a spirited driver. Just measure the ring gear to get the right size or cross the part number and manufacturer with the catalog description.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    I am thinking it is 7.5 that you want.


  4. #4
    Junior Member 99ss405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Florence , SC
    Posts
    61
    that's it ... I have a set of 3.73 gears and bearings forsale new in the box

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Amazing how small the ring gears are in the stock rears. I was in semi-shock when I popped our cover for the first time.

  6. #6
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Yup, the smaller the gear ratio, ex: 4.10 vs. 3.73, the thinner the cross-section of the teeth get, making the strength go down in an already weak design.
    It's on jackstands.

  7. #7
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Amazing how small the ring gears are in the stock rears. I was in semi-shock when I popped our cover for the first time.
    When I compared my stock 7.5" ring gear with a 9.75" Dana S-60 the stock ring gear looked like a toy gear set. JMO, I would never rebuild a 7.5 rear end.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,576

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Totally agree.

  9. #9
    Senior Member raynor139's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,319

    Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Amazing how small the ring gears are in the stock rears. I was in semi-shock when I popped our cover for the first time.
    When I compared my stock 7.5" ring gear with a 9.75" Dana S-60 the stock ring gear looked like a toy gear set. JMO, I would never rebuild a 7.5 rear end.

    Yup hence why I didn't even bother fixing my 10 bolt. Thought about it for all of 30 seconds and decided to get a s60. Now if only the damn thing would hurry up and get here.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

  10. #10
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Amazing how small the ring gears are in the stock rears. I was in semi-shock when I popped our cover for the first time.
    When I compared my stock 7.5" ring gear with a 9.75" Dana S-60 the stock ring gear looked like a toy gear set. JMO, I would never rebuild a 7.5 rear end.

    Yup hence why I didn't even bother fixing my 10 bolt. Thought about it for all of 30 seconds and decided to get a s60. Now if only the damn thing would hurry up and get here.
    Yea what he said...although we just got another 6" of snow and another cold snap so it don't much matter to me when it shows up as long as they build it right....
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

  11. #11
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Yup hence why I didn't even bother fixing my 10 bolt. Thought about it for all of 30 seconds and decided to get a s60. Now if only the damn thing would hurry up and get here.
    I have only seen two Dana 60's break in all my 54 years. They both broke on the racetrack, both had BB power (one a Ray Barton Hemi and the other a mountain motor Chevy). Both were manual transmissions with brute force clutches and leaving over 4k rpm. Otherwise they will break the U-Joints first, even the Spicer 1350 joints. The S-60 may be heavy but they are tough as a two dollar steak. Good choice.

  12. #12
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    If you can do it or know somebody who can do it, it might be a good idea to weld the axle tubes where they are inserted while you're doing this...it will help save the gears and eliminate part of the flex problem that causes issues with the 10 bolts. Will it completely solve the problem? No...will it help? Absolutely.

  13. #13
    Senior Member kingls1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Johnstown,PA
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,102

    Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I have only seen two Dana 60's break in all my 54 years. They both broke on the racetrack, both had BB power (one a Ray Barton Hemi and the other a mountain motor Chevy). Both were manual transmissions with brute force clutches and leaving over 4k rpm. Otherwise they will break the U-Joints first, even the Spicer 1350 joints. The S-60 may be heavy but they are tough as a two dollar steak. Good choice.
    Nice to know. The weight to me isn't even a concern as it down low and remove the spare and jack and I bet you cover the 20lbs+

    Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    If you can do it or know somebody who can do it, it might be a good idea to weld the axle tubes where they are inserted while you're doing this...it will help save the gears and eliminate part of the flex problem that causes issues with the 10 bolts. Will it completely solve the problem? No...will it help? Absolutely.
    our favorite magazine but no longer with us GM high tech built a 10bolt with all new center section, gears, axles, U joints,and rear cover and if I remember had somthing like $1600+ invested and it still broke not long after completion. I think any money or time spent on a 10 bolt is wasted IMO. Unless you are trying to fix to get a little time until you can afford a new rear is the only way I would spend a penny. Don't get me wrong this purchase stung me as the price increase forced me to pull the trigger earlier than I wanted to but when it's done and money is back in the savings I will be much happier especially when I drop the hammer at the springs and know I will still be able to drive it home..

  14. #14
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Nice to know. The weight to me isn't even a concern as it down low and remove the spare and jack and I bet you cover the 20lbs+


    our favorite magazine but no longer with us GM high tech built a 10bolt with all new center section, gears, axles, U joints,and rear cover and if I remember had somthing like $1600+ invested and it still broke not long after completion. I think any money or time spent on a 10 bolt is wasted IMO. Unless you are trying to fix to get a little time until you can afford a new rear is the only way I would spend a penny. Don't get me wrong this purchase stung me as the price increase forced me to pull the trigger earlier than I wanted to but when it's done and money is back in the savings I will be much happier especially when I drop the hammer at the springs and know I will still be able to drive it home..
    I was kind of hinting at getting somebody to do it for free unless he knows how to weld.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What axels are the ones I need for my '01 SS?
    By Sommer86@6LE in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2007, 02:06 PM
  2. FS: Stock 4-16x8 polished rims w/ stock eagle tires
    By Long Beach in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 11:11 PM
  3. FS: Stock 4-16x8 polished rims w/ stock eagle tires
    By Long Beach in forum Western Members
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2007, 10:15 PM
  4. need some axels
    By ls1marine in forum Western Members
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-14-2006, 10:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •