Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Stock 10 bolt

This is a discussion on Stock 10 bolt within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 98maro do you feel any differnce? Feel a difference?? As in a gear change difference?...

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    do you feel any differnce?
    Feel a difference?? As in a gear change difference?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

i just dnt wanna go thru diz again..
    i replaced this 4000 miles ago.. and i dnt think is gonna last me to long from now.. lol

00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    Feel a difference?? As in a gear change difference?
    i mean if some how you feel more torque or anything.. cuz on my car i feel like it doesnt hook up right to the ground..

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

i mean if some how you feel more torque or anything.. cuz on my car i feel like it doesnt hook up right to the ground..
    If while doing the change (12 bolt,9", Dana etc) you go to a different gear yes. I had 3.73's in my 10 bolt before it blew. I went with a Moser 12 bolt myself with 3.73's. There was no difference to be felt. But there was the feeling of assurance it can handle more HP than the stock 10.

Can you explain further of how it will not hook up right?? Hooking has very little to do with the assembly. Most of that is based on setup.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

If while doing the change (12 bolt,9", Dana etc) you go to a different gear yes. I had 3.73's in my 10 bolt before it blew. I went with a Moser 12 bolt myself with 3.73's. There was no difference to be felt. But there was the feeling of assurance it can handle more HP than the stock 10.

I did the exact same thing... when I upgraded the 10 bolt from 323s to 373s.. it was a world of difference.. but upgrading to the 12 bolt with 373s... didn't notice a diff.. except for the peace of mind.
    Last edited by Silver Streak; 01-05-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Can you explain further of how it will not hook up right?? Hooking has very little to do with the assembly. Most of that is based on setup.
    mine is m6.. when the stock gears got broken i went for 3.73s. but everytime i step on the gas i feel like something dnt let car take off the way it has to be..
    im sayin cuz my z had stock rear end m6 as well. and on that car i could feel the take off.. on this with 3.73s i just feel like the pinion spins but the car barely moves..

the z was lowered.. the one i have is stock height idk if that has something to do..

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

mine is m6.. when the stock gears got broken i went for 3.73s. but everytime i step on the gas i feel like something dnt let car take off the way it has to be..
    im sayin cuz my z had stock rear end m6 as well. and on that car i could feel the take off.. on this with 3.73s i just feel like the pinion spins but the car barely moves..

the z was lowered.. the one i have is stock height idk if that has something to do..

That to me sounds more like a clutch issue. Not trying to come across harsh here. But I don't know how you could feel a pinion spin. Does the rear make any noise? I have heard pinions blow. I have heard them break but could still be driven (not for long).
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 01-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

That to me sounds more like a clutch issue. Not trying to come across harsh here. But I don't know how you could feel a pinion spin. Does the rear make any noise? I have heard pinions blow. I have heard them break but could still be driven (not for long).
    sometimes i think it could be the clutch..
    i feel like something spins.. im just guessing it could be the pinion or idk..
    but i knw the clutch is almost gone.. and some times the clutch doestn come all the way out..

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

but i knw the clutch is almost gone.. and some times the clutch doestn come all the way out..
    Sounds like you need to save up for a new clutch before worrying about a new rear..

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

You have a clutch issue. It might be as simple as the master or slave cylinder. I would check them first and go from there. A ring and pinion are gear based and will not slip. Will they break the teeth like the photo's you showed yup. But the slip or just spin nope...

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks for the replies guys..
    yeah i think i need to get new clutch and slave cylinder.. thats bout $500 plus labor..
    i wanted to get header with that money

i just wanted to make sure is not the gears because i dnt wanna deal with that..again..
    another thing.. it so noise after 35mph and when it hits 80 mph the noise its gone..
    is some kind of huming noise.. i hate it..

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

After 10+ years and a previous owner, if you're still on a stock clutch it's likely to be toasted. I'd do a new slave while you're in there.. Maybe flush the master cylinder, if not you may need one of those as well.. Or you can just do it all in one shot and be done with it for the rest of the vehicles life...Just my .02
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-05-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

yeah i think i need to get new clutch and slave cylinder.. thats bout $500 plus labor..

i just wanted to make sure is not the gears because i dnt wanna deal with that..again..
    another thing.. it so noise after 35mph and when it hits 80 mph the noise its gone..
    is some kind of huming noise.. i hate it..

As in the whine of a gear?? Did you have someone install the gears for you? Did they set the backlash correct?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

is some kind of huming noise
    .. i hate it..
    10 bolts can be noisy, many if not most are. GM makes/recommends an additive but I forget the name that will help quiet things down in your 10 bolt.. The aditive can usually be puchased @ any auto parts store...
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-05-2011 at 10:10 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Ok folks, for those that don't know:

GM made the 12 bolt, so called because it uses 12 bolts to hold the ring gear to the carrier. It uses a ring gear of 8-7/8" diameter. It's the lightest duty one but folks like it because it's originally a GM part. They put it behind all the high performance GM cars of the 60's. While GM never put a 12 bolt into a car with a torque arm (no direct replacement) MWC (Moser) makes an aftermarket version that bolts in.

Ford makes the 9", so called because the ring gear is 9" in diameter. It'll handle more torque than the 12 bolt due to the larger bearing surface of the pinion bearing. This is what Ford used behind all of their high performance cars in the 60's. It also uses more torque to turn so greater driveline loss. Aftermarket makes bolt in versions for us.

Dana makes the Dana 60 which uses a 9-3/8" diameter ring gear. This is what you want for that 2500hp monster you always wanted to build. Afterall, Mother Mopar put them behind the 426 Hemi with a 4-speed, so.... Creates greater driveline loss than a 12 bolt or 9" but it's the ultimate in reliability. Aftermarket makes one for our cars too but it's more expensive also.

Any questions?

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

As in the whine of a gear?? Did you have someone install the gears for you? Did they set the backlash correct?
    yes,, the noise comes from the gears,, i step on the gas it gets louder,, i let it go,, it doesnt make no noise..
    the pinion and ring were replaced as well as the bearings..
    some mechanic did it for me.. he did it outside of the shop.. for $100 i had no choice,, lol

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    10 bolts can be noisy, many if not most are. GM makes an additive but I forget the name that will help quet things down in your 10 bolt.. The aditive can usually be puchased @ any auto parts store...
    He has 3.73's in there now. I can think of many or most stock 10's that are quite. With 3.73's I would wonder about the gear setup and backlash..

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    After 10+ years and a previous owner, if you're still on a stock clutch it's likely to be toasted. I'd do a new slave while you're in there.. Maybe flush the master cylinder, if not you may need one of those as well.. Or you can just do it all in one shot and be done with it for the rest of the vehicles life...Just my .02
    the guy i bought it from he was second owner he got it when it has 24xxx miles on it,,, so im guessin is the stock clutch..
    im a get the complete kit for the clutch when im ready for it..

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

yes,, the noise comes from the gears,, i step on the gas it gets louder,, i let it go,, it doesnt make no noise..
    the pinion and ring were replaced as well as the bearings..
    some mechanic did it for me.. he did it outside of the shop.. for $100 i had no choice,, lol
    Not saying he did bad work.. But $100 for a gear change is well cheap.. Anyone can swap gears. Not all can set the gears up correctly.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

He has 3.73's in there now. I can think of many or most stock 10's that are quite. With 3.73's I would wonder about the gear setup and backlash..
    After years of dealing with noisy aftermarket gears I put in a used set of 3.23's and now it's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information