Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Steps to take for a gear change?

I have an M6 with the stock 3.42 gears, and I'm looking to go for 4.10's in the future. I would just like to know what kind of cost and labor I'm looking at. I read the sticky on rear ends so I know the parts that I need, but I have no idea where to order these from/what brands to go with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I got tired of searching the drivetrain forum for hours.

Also, anyone in Colorado: I would love to take my car to a performance mechanic, someone that knows exactly what they are doing. I don't want to take it to some Joe-schmoe mechanic and have him mess it up. I also need the speedo recalibrated and will need a tune sometime in the future (after a few more mods), so any suggestions for mechanics or shops in the Denver area would be great.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

2002 prices: Thunder Racing kit = gears, T/A cover, seals and gaskets was about $200+/-; Sacramento area rear end shop labor = $200+/-; Eaton posi = $400+/-.

I remember it being a hair over $800 for everything.

Red
    '99 Firebird Trans Am WS6

Ok, that's not too bad, I was thinking about $1500. Thanks for the info though.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I would go with Precision, Motive, Or Yukon Gears. I bought the 3.90 Motive Performance gears off ebay for $150 + a install kit for $30 ( I only had 35,000 miles on my car so I didn't get the master rebuild kit).
    My buddy installed them for $150 (+ he installed my new torque arm and subframe connectors) he used to work at a 4x4 drivetrain rebuild shop so he had everything to do the job and He is really good at putting them in. Very little to no whine at all.
    Most shops will charge 200-300 bucks to install them.
    My suggestion to you or what I should have done, Is to SAVE your money, for the 500-600 bucks you will spend to change gears, you will only need $1500 or so more and buy a 12 bolt or a 9" and just buy the whole thing allready with gears in it and you'll have a much better rear end. I am scared to put slicks on my stupid 10 bolt on fears of snapping it in 2. They put the same rear end in s-10 4 banger trucks? DUH what was gm thinking with this dumb desicion?
    Well any way I am saving now for a new rear end because I really want the piece of mind and I really want to see what I can do .
    hope this helps.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    I would go with Precision, Motive, Or Yukon Gears. I bought the 3.90 Motive Performance gears off ebay for $150 + a install kit for $30 ( I only had 35,000 miles on my car so I didn't get the master rebuild kit).
    My buddy installed them for $150 (+ he installed my new torque arm and subframe connectors) he used to work at a 4x4 drivetrain rebuild shop so he had everything to do the job and He is really good at putting them in. Very little to no whine at all.
    Most shops will charge 200-300 bucks to install them.
    My suggestion to you or what I should have done, Is to SAVE your money, for the 500-600 bucks you will spend to change gears, you will only need $1500 or so more and buy a 12 bolt or a 9" and just buy the whole thing allready with gears in it and you'll have a much better rear end. I am scared to put slicks on my stupid 10 bolt on fears of snapping it in 2. They put the same rear end in s-10 4 banger trucks? DUH what was gm thinking with this dumb desicion?
    Well any way I am saving now for a new rear end because I really want the piece of mind and I really want to see what I can do .
    hope this helps.

I'm sure there were a couple of modifications to the 10-bolt but still youre right. Knowing how much power the ls1 puts down

Thread Information