Thread: Spool?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Spool?

I still have the stock 10 bolt in my car and my posi unit is worn out, only one wheel spins now and occasionally both will. I don't want to spend the 400 bucks for a locker since I'm planning to get a 12 bolt later this summer so I was considering a spool for the time being. Yes my car is street driven and I know my tires will wear out faster but how bad are they on the street? I've heard anything from they're just bad in the parking lot to they'll push you into a brick wall. I also do a decent amount of drag racing which is why I want the posi aspect of it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Do you know how a differential works? It allows (thru the use of spider gears) the axles to spin at different speeds when going around a corner (outside tire has further to go so it spins faster). A spool does not do this which is why it works great in a straight line. So 1 or both tires with go chirp-chirp-chirp around a corner. Sorta hard on the axles and the spool. Can be done but it's not something I advocate, especially if it's your DD.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I know how they work. And a spool solidly locks the axles. And when they're locked the inside tire is spinning just as fast as the outside tire which is why they push you and cause the inside tire to wear more because it's spinning to fast and essentially doing a burnout around sharp turns

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I sat just do it and find out for yourself. You most likely won't like it on the street but its worth trying out just for fun. But be careful!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Haha. It's more a money issue. I don't want to put the money into this rear end cuz I want a 12 bolt so I can put more power in front of it. And a spool would be a cheap fix. Is there any way to tighten the clutches in the stock posi? Cuz I'm pretty sure they aren't gear type lockers. I wouldn't have this problem if they were.

red
    2000TA

how about a powertrax streetable locker,will this work.jegs $465.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Powertrax 1931-LR - Powertrax Lock-Right Lockers
    would this work? it says it for 7.625 rears not 7.5 but most of those parts are interchangable from what ive seen.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 03-05-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: removed non-sponsor direct link

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

No that won't work. It requires you start with an open differential.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 03-05-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: oops gave wrong answer

There is no way to "tighten up" a cone style posi, or even rebuild it. Once the case wears and doesn't apply as much pressure on the cones,,,it's done.

Auburn has a service where they can take the unit and reman it for you, and I believe these are cases that are machined and then spacers installed to take up the slack, not the best way to go in my opinion. Sounds like another slipping posi in short order.

Only the clutch style posi's can be rebuilt, and taylored clutch pack loads with various spring combinations to get the feel you want. These are made by Eaton mainly, with a few other brands floating around. It's what I prefer to use.

I wouldn't do a spool on a street car. Especially on these whimpy 7.5 rears. It's extremely hard on axles so an axle upgrade at the same time is at the very least a must do for safety sake.
    But you won't want to get caught in the rain with it. Ever try to turn a corner with a wet road and a spool???? It gets rather exciting.

If you want to do a better rear, and are saving money until then, I wouldn't bother to fix the rear you have, just drive it and deal with the one wheel peel for now until the new rear can be purchased.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I may have an old stock carrier in my garage I'd be willing to part with. I'll check tomorrow. PM me if your interested. Wouldn't want much.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Thread Information