SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Speedometer Recalibration

Hey guys,

I just bought a 98 T/A M6, and the guy who owned it before me swapped out the stock 3.42 gears for 4.10's. The problem is he never recalibrated the speedometer/odometer to match the new gear set.

I'd like to fix it, so I have an accurate speed reading, as well as keep the mileage from racking up too fast. Whats the best way to go about doing this?? Something like a Handheld programmer or can I just swap the speedo gear out of the trans?? I've heard its easy to fix with the Programmer, but I'd rather not spend $400-$500 just to recalibrate my speedo

I also have aftermarket 17" rims on low profile tires, were the stock ones 16" and does that counter the 4.10's inaccuracy somewhat??

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

It's gotta be done electronically. If you're not planning on any other mods and don't want to get a handheld, you should do a mail-order tune. There are a lot of good programmers out there who will do it for $250-$350. I currently have the same problem and I'm waiting for my handheld to be fixed so I can do the same thing. My mileage is racking up pretty quick as I went to 4.10s also but my handheld gave me a stupid error message...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for the response. I was kind of hoping I could recalibrate it with a different speedo gear, but I guess everythings electronic with the newer systems.

What exactly is a mail-order tune?? Do I have to send in my ECU to them and have them reprogram it?? Or do I just tell them what I want and then they send me a reprogrammer/chip?? What companies would you reccommend??

If I have to send in the ECU, I'll probably just end up going with a handheld tuner

There should be a shop near you that can reprogram for the gears, look for one that does dyno/tuning. Around here you can get it done for an hour minimum shop time - only takes a couple minutes. Another option is a used HPP3 if you can find one for your year - but make sure it's been returned to stock. I sold my old one a couple years ago for $120 shipped.

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

There's a site that will actually send you a tuned PCM that will have your VIN and everything you need already done and then you just send them your PCM as a type of 'core'. That may be the route to go or, as posted before, go to a dyno-tuner. You'll get the best results that way but the pricing may be out of your budget???

Car doesn't have to be on a dyno to change the speedo, what I meant was any shop that can do dyno tunes will have the software to change it - $60 here, they can also delete codes, reset fan temps, etc.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
    Car doesn't have to be on a dyno to change the speedo, what I meant was any shop that can do dyno tunes will have the software to change it - $60 here, they can also delete codes, reset fan temps, etc.
    That sounds like the solution to me, unless I can get one of those Hypertech Power Pragrammers off eBay for cheap or something.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thread Information