Spec Clutch chatter, now squeals

This is a discussion on Spec Clutch chatter, now squeals within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I had the pontiac dealership install a Spec stage 1 clutch kit with aluminum flywheel last year. Right after the ...

Black
    2001 Pontiac TransAm NHRA

Spec Clutch chatter, now squeals

I had the pontiac dealership install a Spec stage 1 clutch kit with aluminum flywheel last year. Right after the install I had quite a bit of chatter when engaging the clutch, but I was told it was normal for the break in period. The chatter did go away, but now when it is cold the clutch makes a really loud noise when engaging. Could this be similar to break pads glazing, or could I already be out of clutch material? It doesn't slip and the sound completely disappears when it's warm.

Any info is appreciated. I'm looking to sell my car asap so I am just trying to get an idea of what I am looking at repair wise.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Chatter

i had a spec stage 3 and i also had the chatter. but my chatter never went away. and neither did my squeal. i foundout it was my throw out bearing and the P/P. i got a new clutch and fixed the problem.

Black
    2001 Pontiac TransAm NHRA

Great, thanks for the info. It's probably easiest if I just replace mine at this point.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

my spec does the same exact thing with the sqealing..metal on metal sound when slowly engaging........mine started doing it after i lost pedal pressure at teh track...my buddy saw sparks comin from under the car on launch....spec clutchs suck balls..at least anything less than the 3+ ..ive heard good things about those

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You bought a pos clutch. Do your homework nextime and do not buy a SPEC clutch.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

then what clutch should we buy? ive read up on this and there seems to be NO definitive answer besides the stock clutch if your near stock power levels..which im not..mike at neweraperformance recommends a RAM stage 3 good for 500 horse or a stage 4 good for 600.....been reading a lot of good things about the c6z06 clutch on here but as usual with ls1 clutches theres been a lot of bad things about them recently as well ive read..spec 3+ and ONLY the 3+ has gotten good reviews most places ive read.........enlighten us on the best clutch that can handle 500 horses and feel at least somwhat stock

pewter
    02' Z28

Does anyone know if or, actually installed a c6 ZO6 clutch in LS1 Fbody? Because im also wondering what my next clutch will be.

Thread Information