Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So i finally go to the track and....(pics)

This is a discussion on So i finally go to the track and....(pics) within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by INMY01TA Been there done that. Personally I'd rather have a 3' steel/chromoly than the 3.5' aluminum one ...

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Been there done that.
    Click for full size
    Personally I'd rather have a 3' steel/chromoly than the 3.5' aluminum one but the PST should be fine. I recomend the Strange 3' chromoly.
    I'm with ya 110% on this one. I wouldn't use aluminum shafts on anything serious. Chromoly is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What were you doing so far from home?
    Lol,,,,we used to live in Cinci, Ohio,,,and would drive to Norwalk all the time for the Tri-power Nats and stuff.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I'm with ya 110% on this one. I wouldn't use aluminum shafts on anything serious. Chromoly is the way to go.
    If I break my aluminum PST rated at 1200 hp, Ill personally fly down and shake your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If I break my aluminum PST rated at 1200 hp, Ill personally fly down and shake your hand.
    LOL,,,,you won't want to go back,,,,especially this time of year

Not knocking the aluminum shafts,,,well maybe In all seriousness, my biggest problem with them when you get into the HP level you are talking,,,is that they have to make them in such a large diameter to make them strong enough,,,they start getting in the way under the car.

Especially a 4th gen that runs the exhaust through the tunnel,,,and there is a torque arm to deal with etc....Not to mention fitting a drive shaft loop around a 4inch or larger shaft makes things interesting too. Something all you guys should be running anyway regardless.

Which is why it makes more sense to me to stick with Chromoly,,,it's even lighter than aluminum,,,,and much much stronger. Because of it's strength it's not necessary to make it in such a large diameter,,,,a 3 inch version would be stronger and much easier to package.

As far as the stock aluminum shafts go,,,,I pulled it out of my wifes 6 speed car last year and installed a factory steel shaft from a 97 Z. Just for piece of mind since I was taking the car to the track on occasion,,,even on stock rubber.
    As far as I'm concerned, those stock aluminum shafts should be cut into pieces and thrown in with the aluminum cans for recycle.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

LOL,,,,you won't want to go back,,,,especially this time of year

Not knocking the aluminum shafts,,,well maybe In all seriousness, my biggest problem with them when you get into the HP level you are talking,,,is that they have to make them in such a large diameter to make them strong enough,,,they start getting in the way under the car.

Especially a 4th gen that runs the exhaust through the tunnel,,,and there is a torque arm to deal with etc....Not to mention fitting a drive shaft loop around a 4inch or larger shaft makes things interesting too. Something all you guys should be running anyway regardless.

Which is why it makes more sense to me to stick with Chromoly,,,it's even lighter than aluminum,,,,and much much stronger. Because of it's strength it's not necessary to make it in such a large diameter,,,,a 3 inch version would be stronger and much easier to package.
    Im not ever planning on truely testing this DS horsepower limits out if thats what you mean. I wouldnt wink at throwing 800 RWHP at this DS, theres tons out there doing it as we speak.

Oh ya, If I fly out there right now... Im staying by all means possible

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Im not ever planning on truely testing this DS horsepower limits out if thats what you mean. I wouldnt wink at throwing 800 RWHP at this DS, theres tons out there doing it as we speak.

Oh ya, If I fly out there right now... Im staying by all means possible
    I understand completely. I'm sure it's going to hold just fine. If you don't mind dealing with it's diameter and you can make it work fine,,,that's great. I just prefer not to make things more complicated than they have to be,,,even if the chromoly shafts cost a bit more. That's just me talking, most people ignore anyway,,,lol.

If you ever come out here, you better not leave without stopping by for a while and saying hi. I'll show ya around and have a good time for sure.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

This is really the only reason I don't like the PST one. The size. I've read about guys having trouble with this. I also don't like that guy on LS1Tech that comes into EVERY SINGLE THREAD trying to sell them. My ds is a custom made 3' steel one by A-1. 2000hp Pro Mod nitrous cars use these things. Only draw back against the PST might be a pound. I didn't notice any difference once it was in the car though.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

What size diameter is your DS's guys?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

3 inch.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    3 inch.
    Ah, alright. Ya, mines 3.5". So far so good. I did think it was going to be close, but when the suspension is loaded, I have plenty of room.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information