Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    99 Z28

shuttering noise..still havent found out

I still have a shuttering noise that I can't figure out what it is. I posted this before and everyone seemed to think torque arm bushing:NO...it was fine, but I replaced it anyway with an energy suspension poly bushing. Still have the sound and it is getting worse. The sound never gets faster or slower; it is always the same du-du-du-du-du-du-du shuttering sound. I inspected the hangars that the exhaust mounts to, and I adjusted the tips down to rule out them clanging against the back bumper. New PHR(hotchkis) new LCA's w/ relo brackets...upper PHR is in great shape...Only other things I havent changed are the ujoints(but somehow I think the sound would increase in speed if it was that),the two back shocks(which I have, but not installed yet) and the rear end gears(oh sh** ..just my luck, but I do have some 3.73 Richmond gears under the bed). The sound mainly happens when the streering wheel is turned slightly to the left.. It sounds like something is loose. Any suggestions? Would the brakes in the rear make that noise if they were worn out? I am going to change the shocks, hopefully this week. I have read other posts about rear end worm gears making noise but Im not familiar with that. Please help.Thanks

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

are you sure it's not your power steering pump starting to go out on you? does it do this if you are sitting still and turn the steering wheel quickly?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Green

Does it happen when you have the wheel turned and accelerating? If so then I would lean towards the posi unit, most likely spider gears.

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    are you sure it's not your power steering pump starting to go out on you? does it do this if you are sitting still and turn the steering wheel quickly?
    no its not the power steering pump...I have changed a few of them on other cars before and I know what that is like. The noise is coming from what soiunds like the rear of the car.

Accelerating+noise= negative unless I am in a curve but normally it does it when i take my foot completely off the gas pedal and turn to the left at low speeds.

I have what appears to be the same noise. I sounds like a growling thud thud thud thud noise, only when turning left, and only when coasting. I've rebuilt the entire rear with used 3.42 gears and a used 3 series carrier (I had 2.73's to start with) including all bearings. Noise was still there. I replaced both rear wheel bearings. Noise still there.

I'm convinced its the helical gears in the torsen unit making the noise and might even be a normal noise. The reason I think it might be normal is it made the noise with the old torsen diff and with the new (used) torsen diff.

I'm going to ride with it. As my grandfather always said.........let it develop.

torsen noise,forget about it.mine done the noise for 90k,still works fine.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

did you guys put the GM additive back in when you added fluid?

black
    99 Z28

I think I am about to put the Richmond gears in (3.73) and see if the noise changes any....I really do not know what else to do ...I cannot see what else it would be if not in the rear...??

torsen noise,forget about it

black
    99 Z28

ok...but what in the differential causes the noise and how long till it goes?

mine been doing it since new,thats 90k miles so far!

black
    99 Z28

isnt it annoying as hell though? it is to me.i cant stand noises on my car.So basically you guys think that changing the diff. will stop the noise? What kind do you guys recommend if changed>Detroit Tru, Auburn, Eaton???

well pilgrim,i put a auburn in mine to stop the noise.About 3 k later i put the torsen back in.NOTHING IMO can work as nice as the torsen.I'll live with the noise.You know one other thing you might consider is tire noise.Some tires can really churn up nasty noises you'll never guess were the tires.I've also heard some weird noises from failing axle bearings,that is a whoop whoop whoop whoop and a knock when the bad axle bearing is loaded hard and unloaded by steering left or right.BUT tires will whoop whoop whoop and every carrier makes some kind of noise.Unfortuneatly i've noticed the 4 gen cars amplify noises to the rear of the car.EXAMPLE:drove one with a rumbling rubbing sound coming from the rear of the car.The problem was found to be the FRONT TIRES.Noises can very hard to diagnose.

by the way the auburn caused a vibration in the rear,after putting the torsen bk in it stopped.So go waste your money.

black
    99 Z28

well...im probably not going to put any money into this rear(besides the gears I already have)...prob. gonna go
    9" rear eventually, but for now I gotta find out what it is. Axle bearings were replaced last year. The sound is more like a du du du du dud ud except its like a knock/shutter like a broken suspension component or something. If there is a problem, there must be a solution! I will share if I find how to fix....If not, then I guess Ill have to crank the radio up really loud all the time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    did you guys put the GM additive back in when you added fluid?
    IFAIK the additive does nothing and is not needed in torsen diffs. No clutches to chatter therefore no slip modifier needed.

It is a pretty wild noise if it is normal torsen noise. I would think the GM techs would've had their hands full with these noise complaints when the cars were still under warranty. I sure would like to ride in somemore LS1 f-bods to see if it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by turbotko View Post
    IFAIK the additive does nothing and is not needed in torsen diffs. No clutches to chatter therefore no slip modifier needed.

It is a pretty wild noise if it is normal torsen noise. I would think the GM techs would've had their hands full with these noise complaints when the cars were still under warranty. I sure would like to ride in somemore LS1 f-bods to see if it's the same.
    they completely ignore it!guess why

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    they completely ignore it!guess why
    cuz they dont have to deal with it in their car!

Silver
    2002 SS

If the noise occurs only when turning, it could be something with the spider gears in the third member maybe.
    It could be a front wheel bearing too but you say the noise comes from the rear.
    Go by the local Chevy or Pontiac dealer and talk to a service guy, or better yet a mechanic. They might be able to steer you in the right direction. They see this stuff all day long. Advice is free.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    because they all do it.Torsen doesn't use spider gears,its a worm setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    LOL. Being a BMW master technician I get noise complaints all day long from mostly normal stuff.
    I know I would have complained about it if I bought my car new and it made the noise my car makes now.
    There's nothing worse than trying to convince a customer that the engine is going to make some noise when it runs..........even a beemer.

Thread Information