Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

shuttering noise..still havent found out

This is a discussion on shuttering noise..still havent found out within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by warpwr If the noise occurs only when turning, it could be something with the spider gears in ...

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by warpwr View Post
    If the noise occurs only when turning, it could be something with the spider gears in the third member maybe.
    It could be a front wheel bearing too but you say the noise comes from the rear.
    Go by the local Chevy or Pontiac dealer and talk to a service guy, or better yet a mechanic. They might be able to steer you in the right direction. They see this stuff all day long. Advice is free.

lol...one of my best friends is a GM mechanic..he owns a 35th procharged SS. Ill have to ask him if thats common, but Ive never heard of it..Im also friends with the service mgr. Who knows? Ill see what I can find out next time I go up there.

black
    99 Z28

^^^^thats what I feel like every time I hear that annoying sound!!!!

Forget About It!

black
    99 Z28

so you are saying even if i put a new diff. in, itll still make noise?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZ28629 View Post
    so you are saying even if i put a new diff. in, itll still make noise?
    if you put a torsen in yes.

black
    99 Z28

how come I did not hear the noise up until a certain point, then. It just started a few months ago...Something must be wrong or worn out for a noise to appear. I doubt it would surface after 80,000 miles or stay quiet that long. It just does not make sense! I did some research on the torsen diff. and i agree it is prob. the best to have.
    Last edited by BlackZ28629; 11-04-2006 at 05:02 PM.

it was always there,just gets louder as it wears.Look i'm not going to try and convince you of anything more,its your time and money GO SPEND!

black
    99 Z28

Im just speculating on the quality of a product; if you buy a new one it will be noisy? That does not make sense...If you can explain specifcally what is making the noise, I might be apt to research that and understand your viewpoint, but you have not. Did you replace yours? I appreciate the advice and all, but I tend to want to know why something is happening so that I can fix it or solve the problem...if everyone in the world just accepted things the way they are, the world would not advance and problems would never be solved. I WILL solve this problem, I am researching everything, and you guys helping is very much needed...thank you. Hopefully I can rid my car of this and share how to fix it!

why oh why must you cloud your mind with this?Ok i'l try to explain,if you could drive a new fbody with a torsen in it and carefully listen.You will hear a slight rumble when coasting off the gas in turns 25-45 mph.After 25 thous miles you will hear a slight knock.After 50 thous a louder knock.After 75 thous louder yet.Are you getting it?Its nothing to worry about,the torsen uses a funky set of worm gears to do its job,these gears generate this knocking clunking sound.I PROMISE YOU I"VE LOOKED INTO THIS TO THE EXTREME.The only way to stop the noise is to replace it with a NON torsen type spider carrier,and trust me you WON"T like it after driving with the torsen.The car handles so much better with the torsen installed.MOST people never notice the noise unless someone points it out to them if the car has low mileage.I can remember going bk to the dealer and driving a 2002 z28 with 15k on it to compare it to mine.The same noise was there but the sales guy didn't hear a thing UNTIL i carefully pointed it out to him.HE SAID and a quote "WTF IS THAT!!!! My 1st torsen broke a gear and it was replaced with a new one at the dealer,SAME NOISE only it was less when new.

ps if you want to waste your time and money go help stray animals or help the homeless.FORGET ABOUT THE REAR!

black
    99 Z28

lol...maybe that is not what it is then...it is really LOUD and annoying. Sounds like a dang horse is galloping next to me except at a higher speed than me. REALLY LOUD.

lol...maybe that is not what it is then...it is really LOUD and annoying. Sounds like a dang horse is galloping next to me except at a higher speed than me. REALLY LOUD.
    dam you need to get over this!take your car out to the track,if its a auto put it in neutral then floor the throttle and jam the shifter into drive.This WILL FIX THE NOISE!
    If its a m6,i want you to put it in reverse then floor the throttle,dump the clutch then without lefting off the throttle put in the clutch,jam it into 1st and dump the clutch.This SHOULD FIX IT! Good Luck.
    Last edited by YoMommasTA; 11-06-2006 at 07:01 AM.

black
    99 Z28

..um......yea............

..um......yea............
    LOL i'm just messin with ya.I understand how you feel about.I was the same but after my wallet cornholed me overit i just let it go.You should too.Trust me on this.

black
    99 Z28

lol..yeah im thinkin im gonna have to and just spend the money on new rotors and new struts to replace the shitty KYB AGX's I have!

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA View Post
    dam you need to get over this!take your car out to the track,if its a auto put it in neutral then floor the throttle and jam the shifter into drive.This WILL FIX THE NOISE!
    If its a m6,i want you to put it in reverse then floor the throttle,dump the clutch then without lefting off the throttle put in the clutch,jam it into 1st and dump the clutch.This SHOULD FIX IT! Good Luck.
    LMFAO. I recommend draining all the fluid out of it then running it down the interstate at 130 mph. This laps the gears in real good and prevents them from making noise. You could add some fine sand in the diff for good measure.

Really though, I've quit worrying about mine. I'll wait until it breaks then do something about it. Now if somebody could find me a Detroit Tru-Trac for the 10 bolt I'd be up for a swapperoo.

HUGGER ORANGE
    1999 camaro SS

no one like the AUBURN? i had the torsen in my car and then replaced with the AUBURN and it was like going from an ice rink to a cat clawing at the carpet. theres a slight growl when turning corners but its well worth it.

if they (gear driven carriers) were so good then they would stop using clutch disks and brake pads. lol
    everyone has their own opinions, mine is the torsen sucks, and i would rather have to replace clutch packs every couple years than have a long lasting greasy (no grip) posi any day.

btw, check the fluid in the rear and the tranny. you may also have a rear wheel bearing that is no good.
    i would just pull the cover off and see whats inside. i know its not a spider gear carrier but sometimes pieces break off and they just sit in the fluid. my old 4x4 broke a spider gear and a piece lodged BEHIND the pinion, and another piece lodged in between the carrier and ring gear. i drove around for three weeks (until i found a scrap rear for parts) with it like that. it made a clunking noise, but i new when it broke cause there was a loud thunk and the truck shuddered for a second and then kept on going. i was only going 80 (canadian kilometers) per hour at the time.

black
    99 Z28

Black
    98 Camaro Z28

Say BlackZ28... Just came onto the site, and it's been a while since your last post - any more developments? I've got a similar problem w/ the thunking noise in the rear, and reading this thread was not at all encouraging (even though it sounds very similar to my situation). The noise that I'm experiencing is two separate thunking noises on either side (both sides are individually distinct) and has progressively got worse. The sound occurs whenever I hit a bump of the slightest degree (less noticible, but still there, at higher speeds). Anyway, hope you got yours resolved and that you have some suggestions on the matter... Thanks.

P.S... I've replaced the shocks, lower control arms, and with a recent tire change, noticed that the axle bumpers were dangling (and thought "Wow!!! There's my problem!!"), but after changing those, it helped but only slightly. STILL FRUSTRATED AS HELL!!! (I've had my Z looked at by 4-5 different mechanics over the past 18mos, but to no avail. Guess it's looking like I'm going to have to pay to have the noise scoped out - what a waste.)
    Last edited by kwb; 07-19-2007 at 05:27 AM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I have some strange noise when coasting and turning hard left. Sounds like cink..cink..cink..cink. It doesnt do it every time though. I just live with it till something breaks-which sucks cause I hate noises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information