pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question Shift Kits Good or bad?

I have a 99 TA and it"s close to stock but I want to install a shift kit in the trans, but I don"t know if there will be a problem with it. Do I have to have anything done to the computer? or can I just install and go.what's a good kit to go with? I have no plans to install a stall right now but may later. Also I will be installing long tubes Later For sure.

I'de do a stall first, why do a shift kit ?, what r your other mods ?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Trans go is a great shift kit to use, its what I run.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Medium blue metallic
    99 Trans Am

I installed a regular B@M shift kit and the car now has a wicked 2nd gear scratch. But if I were to do it again I would install a trans go.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

ive been told a shift kit will also help increase the life of your tranny

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Did any of you have to do anything other than have the kit installed? was or is there any torque management problems with the computer?

Pewter
    02 Z28

I heard that a shift kit is good for the trany.
    is it a hard mod to do? what is the regular price for a shop to install the shift kit?
    Last edited by Empatho; 01-11-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28guy View Post
    ive been told a shift kit will also help increase the life of your tranny
    Yes it will because it stops slipage and lowers heat which is what kills trannys. I put them in my stock daily drivers the first trans service I do just for that reason.
    And No other mods are needed when you install it.
    We always use TransGo kits also.
    You'll notice a much better feel and more fun to drive.......When you put it in first it will stay in first until you shift.

Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thank you all for the infro, I know that they are good for the trans and they are a lot of fun to have in any performance ride. I have them in all three of my other cars, but none of them are computer cars.So I needed to know that to expect from the computer once I did it to the TA.I will be talking to the trans shop about prices to install one today.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    Thank you all for the infro, I know that they are good for the trans and they are a lot of fun to have in any performance ride. I have them in all three of my other cars, but none of them are computer cars.So I needed to know that to expect from the computer once I did it to the TA.I will be talking to the trans shop about prices to install one today.
    I have never had a tune.. had a shift kit, high stall, and trans cooler.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I heard that if you get a stall or a shift kit you needed to get the car tuned.That is why I asked .Some have said you do, some say you don't need the tune if you just do the shift kit or the stall.I guess that I will be doing the shift kit and see what happens.

No need for a tune. There is a simple way for snappy shifts on the 4L60E that doesn't require the kit.
    I installed kits in all my other cars with older transmissions but on the
    4L60E it isn't necessary, there is a much simpler way.
    Remove the pan as if for service. Rear passenger side of the case, where the main harness comes through the case, you will see the EPC solenoid with a 2 wire connector on it. It's black and round and faces towards the rear of the trans. Remove the 2 wire plug and you will see a torx screw. It's about a size 10 torx. You will want to turn it "clockwise" to increase line pressure. No more than 1 turn,,,,I suggest 1/2 turn and drive and see if you like the feel or not. You may have to remove the 3-4 accumulator directly behind the EPC solenoid to access the screw. Remove the 3 10mm bolts and it comes right off.
    Increasing line pressure is basically what a shift kit will do among a couple other things. They do give you the ability to hold 1st gear manually for as long as you want as mentioned above, but I find this feature useless,,,why would you want to do that anyway? If the shifts points in the tune are setup properly there is no need to manualy shift it,,,leave it in drive and let the trans do it, It knows better and is more consistent. If you want to shift one manually buy a stick shift car.
    I have sent many rebuilds out the door this way and it has always satisfied the customer.
    Usually if you get a car tuned, line pressure is one of the things a tuner will do to firm up shifts for you. That way is fine too. turning the screw on the EPC solenoid accomplishes the same thing, only by a mechanical standpoint.
    Just remember if you go this route, and you have the car tuned, be sure to tell your tuner you have already increase line pressure at the EPC solenoid.
    This trick only works on the 4L60E trans that is computer controlled. Keep that in mind. Larry.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Warning don't adjust EPC solenoid if you have shift kit or plan on installing one!!!

Trans-Go states in there instructions you'll do deathly damage if you adj. the EPC and do the install of the shift kit.

It's a cheap way to firm up the shifts. Not saying it will damage your tranny but you get additional benefits from the kit other than boosting line pressure.

I didn't say adjust the EPC solenoid if you already had a shift kit,,,,I simply meant this to be a nice alternative, works affectively, and accomplishes the same thing the shift kit will do.
    If you plan on the shift kit later, just remember to return the setting on the EPC back to stock and there will be no problems.
    I have sent many 4L60E's out the door with this mod, aside from the few internal upgrades, and customers love it. They also like the fact I have saved them some money on a shift kit.
    Sorry for the confusion, thought this was self explanitory. Larry.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I knew about the adjustment of the EPC, but I was told that it would be bad for the trans in the long run.I never did it because some said 1/4 turn and some say 1/2 and no more.which one is it? It's true there is no need for anything other than a frim shift to me. will there be any downs side to this method of getting frimer shifts? Plus this is something that I can do myself.

Not bad for the trans at all. All it does is increase line pressure. Thats a good thing, no more slippage on shifts.
    A shift kit also increases line pressure. Shift kits do a few other things that would require alot of explaination here. One such feature is being able to hold first gear, which I find useless anyway. If you are manually shifting an automatic you are only kidding yourself.
    Like I have mentioned, I do this to most of the 4L60E's I have built, and customers have been happy for several years. I also install hardened sun shells and a few other things that are commonly weak on 4L60E's, and haven't had a single problem.
    I wouldn't go more than 1 turn, this will give extremely hard shifts. I would try 1/2 turn and see how it feels. I find that 1/2 turn will satisfy most gear heads. Just the fact that you are decreasing the slippage on shifts will lengthen the usefull life of the trans. If you don't like the feel, simply drop the pan and adjust to your liking. I service my auto transmissions every 10,000 miles, and it's a simple adjustment while you are dropping the pan to change the fluid.
    This isn't to say that some other failure will happen down the road, (broken sun shell is pretty common, rear planetaries are common) but it will have nothing to do with the EPC and increasing line pressure. It's just the weak nature of this particular transmission.
    I learned this trick years ago from who I believe is the best transmission builder in the country. He builds transmissions for monster trucks, and also works for Richard Childress (of nascar fame) building auto transmissions for a truck series team that he owns on the side,,,if that makes you feel any better.
    Just make small changes and drive it. Don't go past 1 full turn, and keep track. If you install a shift kit down the road, you will want to turn it back to stock. Also if you have a custom tuner play with your car, make sure you tell him you have already increased line pressure at the EPC, because it is common for custom tuners to increase line pressure on the trans through the tune for firmer shifts. You don't want him to mess with this variable if you have manually changed it at the EPC. Hope that helps. Larry.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

I thank you for the info.I will be doing the mod as soon as I do my next filter change.All I need to do is just keep track of how many times I turned the screw.I think I'll go 1/2 and leave it at that. Once again thanks for the info.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I didn't say adjust the EPC solenoid if you already had a shift kit,,,,I simply meant this to be a nice alternative, works affectively, and accomplishes the same thing the shift kit will do.
    If you plan on the shift kit later, just remember to return the setting on the EPC back to stock and there will be no problems.
    I have sent many 4L60E's out the door with this mod, aside from the few internal upgrades, and customers love it. They also like the fact I have saved them some money on a shift kit.
    Sorry for the confusion, thought this was self explanitory. Larry.
    I know that you didn't say do both but you have to remember where we are at........... There is LOT's of kids on here that if you don't spell it out in plain english they don't get the big picture.

Aha,,,understandable Larry.

Thread Information