Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Exclamation Serious traction control issues. Cannot launch car

Alright, I need some help on launching this 99 TA. I tried launching at 2000 RPM's a couple times today and all it did was sit there are "wanna" roast the tires. Tried hitting 2nd after the 2000 RPM launch, and my ass end still went sideays... all while roasting the tires. Here my full list of mods :

6.0 LQ4 - stock internals
    5.3 liter Lingenfelter ported heads.
    LS1 throttle body/ intake. ( I have 25-40 HP hiding in those shitty parts!)
    Kooks 1 7/8 heads, custom dual exhaust, spin tech muffler
    Hotchkiss weld in SFC
    Hotchkiss Front and rear sway bars
    K@N air filter
    B @ M ripper shifter
    Moser 12 bolt, 3.73 gears
    BMR Torque Arm
    W2W Built Transmission. Viper steel 3/4 shift fork. New blocker rings and synchro's.
    Spec Stage 3 clutch.
    BF goodrich 275/40 G-force tires all the way around. Brand new.
    373 RWHP -- 409 RWTQ

Maybe I just absolutely suck at launching this car. I have tried many different RPM launch's. Today I tried at 2000 RPM, and then even tried to baby it out of the hole. With nothing but a shit load of tire roasting spin action. Somebody school me/ point me in the right direction to get this car to hook. I did not heat the tires up simply because I cant afford to go do burnouts and waste tire life.

I know If I put some slicks on the car it would probably lauch like a raped ape, But shouldn't I be able to do more than that?
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 07-03-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Well, I just went out and tried it again. I guess I just have to baby it out of the hole. Launching at around 2500 RPM's. If I dump tghe clutch and give it any more than half throttle.... it will just spin and spin. Needs wider and stickier tires I suppose. The low end torque is killing these tires. It would be one hell of a burn out machine no doubt.

Who wants to lend Hi-PO some spare tires??? I promise to give them back.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Anyone with any insight?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

sticky tires some thing like mt te streets and just more seat time. you may want to look at mt drag radials if you want to keep them on the car at all times but thay suck in rain and ware out in about 3000 to 5000 miles.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I don't have anywhere near the torque you do, but we are kind of close to the same HP levels. With those tires it is hard to get traction if you have a good drivetrain sending the power to the wheels. Ever since I replaced the stock clutch and had the tranny rebuilt in mine it is much easier to just sit and spin. Since I have not had much time to figure things out I do not feel absolutely confident in my launches yet.

Here is what I do though, I launch at about 3000 and less and I have trouble with wheel hop or bog. What I do with the clutch is just a fast release, or think of it as a slow drop and get into the throttle about 2/3rds - 3/4ths and hold it until the tires stop hazing then mash it down. With the BFG they just will not handle the power that you are applying to them (last time at the track I could not stop spinning after shifting from 1-2 without letting off). It will take some practice, but you should be able to get around 2.00 60' times. I suggest practice at the track, best way to actually gauge what works.

On a side note, when I launch on the street it is from idle, same idea with the feet, just the traction is to low keep from doing anything other than a burnout.

2000 Trans Am WS6 LS6
    2006 GTO LS2

I had the same problem after heads, cam, headers install. Whenever I went wot within the first 1/8th on the track, the car would spin and get sideways. I bought 2 more wheels and installed MT Drag Radials 275 40 R17 on them. Whenever I go to the track, I would put the MT on and drive it the track. With the MT, I can go wot from the line and no spin at all. I can also launch at 3200 rpm and still no traction problems. My 60' times are around 1.6 sec. Once I return from the track, I put the street tires back on the rear. My advise is to get some Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on the back, you will enjoy the fun.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Yea, im slowly finding out that these tires just arnt meant to hook up at all. 400+ RWTQ and shitty ass bfgoodrich tires = no traction. There are worse problems to have.

How loong do the Mickey Thompson DR last driving on the street?? WHats a "decent" tire to drive on the street to get a decent hook and not go thru tires every 5000 miles?

Thanks guys.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

enjoy the smoke

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    enjoy the smoke
    I cant afford to!!!

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the nitto dr's last the longes but the mickey tompsons have the most grip. like most things you have to pic on how long thay last or how well they hook. im just trying to find 2 more stock wheels and put a set of dr's on them.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Im searching like hell right now for two used rims as well! Hopefully I find them before you do!! jk

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

lmao...if you do find a set of 4 ill split it with you

Thread Information