Black
    1993 Mazda Rx-7

Semi-auto? Paddle Shifters?

Hello All,

A while back I began a project transplanting an LS1 with a T56 into my '93 Mazda Rx-7. I had my sub-chassis rebuilt by Henson Supercars for this transformation. I got my engine and transmission from a '02 TransAM with ~30k mi. Not long after that, I was in a motorcycle accident that rendered my right arm partially paralyzed! After a few years out of the game I want to get my car running. But, I can't shift anymore!

Does anybody have any advice on a semi-automatic transmission? I'd like to put in paddle shifters. I think I'm going to use a MegaSquirt ECU/PCM, but I haven't been able to figure out if it offers a transmission controller or not. Any suggestions or advice on how to go about doing this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

-Adam

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

I'll check with my brother in law he know's Larry Reyes and is supposed to see him in Nashville soon. He's a professioinal racer who became partially paralyzed and is organizing a race series for disabled drivers, and since he is close friends with Bill Taylor and Larry Coleman I'm sure they'd know something. I'll see what kind of stuff they use.

Black
    1993 Mazda Rx-7

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it. Just so you know. I have use of my biceps, forearms, and hand. I have some shoulder movement, but not a lot and I'm lacking external rotation (the real thing that will keep me from a shifter).

I wouldn't have any problems with paddle shifters on the steering wheel or even up/down shift in the center console. I was thinking that maybe I could use an automatic with electronic activation and set it up with paddle switches. From what I've seen, it looks like I'll need a stand alone transmission controller.

Thread Information