Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Ring and Pinion Opinions

Richmond, Motive, Performance...

I'm having to replace the ring and pinion (wish I could afford a 9" but there's no way I can do that right now). Anyone have better or worse experiences? I know the Richmonds are loud, but I want to make sure I get a gear that will last more than 8 months... no, seriously, 8 months and I didn't even drag it. Thanks for the opinions!

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Richmond, Motive, Performance...

I'm having to replace the ring and pinion (wish I could afford a 9" but there's no way I can do that right now). Anyone have better or worse experiences? I know the Richmonds are loud, but I want to make sure I get a gear that will last more than 8 months... no, seriously, 8 months and I didn't even drag it. Thanks for the opinions!
    Gears aren't loud if they're set-up the right way. No gear set is going to last if installed wrong.

Richmonds and motives are good choices.

Bright Red

Richmonds are notorious for a little whine, no matter how they are setup. If setup poorly/improperly they will scream. Mine just had a little whine, not bad, nothing real noticable- I noticed just because I'm picky like that.

I'm just hoping for something a little sturdier to last me a while until I have the ability to get the funds up for a 9". I'm looking at a Motive gear- looks like adding a better clutch and the 315's sorta' takes it toll quickly. I just didn't expect 1 week after tires were mounted!

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Richmonds are notorious for a little whine, no matter how they are setup. If setup poorly/improperly they will scream. Mine just had a little whine, not bad, nothing real noticable- I noticed just because I'm picky like that.

I'm just hoping for something a little sturdier to last me a while until I have the ability to get the funds up for a 9". I'm looking at a Motive gear- looks like adding a better clutch and the 315's sorta' takes it toll quickly. I just didn't expect 1 week after tires were mounted!
    All 4th gen f-body 10 bolts whine a little bit if you pay attention to it,even stock gears brand new from the factory.

I just installed a set of richmond 3.73's in my buddy's Trans Am. They whined less ,if at all, than my car's stock 3.23 factory gears did right off the showroom floor.

black
    02 ss camaro

Any decent power is going to break a 10 bolt no matter what brand or set-up.

If I did munch up my 10 bolt,I probably wouldn't put any money in it.I'd park the car till I had the funds for a 9 or a 12 bolt....just sayin

Bright Red

I'd love to hold off until I could afford a 9" but this 'bird is my daily and if I don't get to work, I don't get paid. If I don't get paid, I can't save up for the 9". See- catch 22.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Richmond gears certainly can be loud, even when set up correctly. Meaning depth and backlash.

Bright Red

Took cover off the rear- not pretty. Missing teeth on ring and pinion and a quarter size chunk taken out of the posi. Needless to say, ordering 9". Looking for buyer for kidney on Bolivian black market to help pay for it...

Thread Information