Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Replacing Drive Shaft

Question about 99 Camaro drive shafts. Can any one think of a reason why a 99 Camaro z28 with 90k miles would have its' drive shaft replaced? Is this common or could it just be some one beat the car or had a bad drive shaft? I have only had the car a few weeks and the other day while it was on a lift diagnosing a front end noise the shop asked me if i had a drive shaft put in. I said no, and asked why. They said well cuz you have a pretty new looking one on it. I thought it was strange to have a new drive shaft put on. I read a couple of other posts and it seems you would only do it for performance or to fix a vibration at high speeds. This 99 looks as stock as i can tell, except the drive shaft.

Thanks

JJ

maybe the previous owner cleaned it? i know when i had my car, i was itching to clean mine becuz it was all rusted

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks, I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can get a name or any part number markings off of it. Maybe that well help figure out if it is new or factory. I never thought about someone cleaning it.

JJ

If it's a Florida car with an aluminum drive shaft it'll look pretty good. If it's an A4 that came with 2.73's the steel one may have been replaced.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Here's one reason:

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

ouch that is not funny. sorry to see such devistation.

My car is a FL car and is an A4 with 3.23. I don't have a car fax, but I am gussing it has always been a FL car. It is most likely a trade in to a dealer. It seems common in Orlando that dealers will take trades and send those cars with a certain age or mileage to a dealer auction for other "buy here pay here" dealers to buy. I think the resale value of a 7, 8, 9 + year old car with more than 60k or so miles is something a dealer doens't want on there lot. Where i live you won't find a sinlge F body on a new/used car delear lot. I was surprised by this, but that's the way it goes.

JJ

98 Formula
    06 duramax

They're probably not used to seeing the aluminum shaft. Mine looks almost brand new.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

hey, i see you are in orlando. we'll have to meet up sometime.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yes, I live in Deltona and work in Lake Mary. I have been to speed world many times when I owned a 99 Dakota R/T. I look forward to getting my camaro in shape to make a few passes. The car is strong but i would hate to break something so soon. I definitely enjoy the car here and there and have left my self side ways a few times, very nice power. If there is a F-Body club in O-town that would be nice.

JJ

Thread Information