Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Arrow Rebuild or New??

so I think my rear end is on its last leg big time. Right now I can afford a new rear end but just dont want to spend 3000 right now as I am looking to move soon....So if i get it rebuilt with non stock gears how long do you guys think it would last, Its NOT a track car and not driven everyday. The car is a 2000 and has 64000 miles on it. Do you guys think I can get another 64000 on a rebuilt differential (non stock gears)? Or should I just have a whole new on put it...also what rear end can be put in a 2000 trans am with out having to do modifications ??

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Honestly, with your situation, get it rebuilt and get a TA rear end cover. They add a good amount of strength and should be all you need if your not beating on your car everyday

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Whats wrong with it? Is it whining, popping, or what? If your not going to beat on it, just have someone rebuild it. If your brave, do it yourself.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well..........after checking out the gears and fluid I found no probelms,.....had it looked at as well and found no problems....it made a bad grinding noise for one day but its totally gone now and no problems....maybe a bearing was acting up, or somethng caugt between the caliper and pad i dunno....but for now all seems ok

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    well..........after checking out the gears and fluid I found no probelms,.....had it looked at as well and found no problems....it made a bad grinding noise for one day but its totally gone now and no problems....maybe a bearing was acting up, or somethng caugt between the caliper and pad i dunno....but for now all seems ok
    I had one rear end that gradually took a shit... It started eating away around the spider gears, and finally there was too much slack to work. (did you see any metal shavings in the diff. fluid?)

Another time with my truck, a bolt fell out of my caliper mount on the back. Whenever I would back up, it would catch on my rim! I thought my rear end was toast for a while and threw a temper tantrum until I figured out it was just a bolt

Glad you don't have to blow any money on an ass end.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

na the gears were perfect and so was the fluid, and there wasn even a single shaving on the magnet....i am gonna have to check the brakes,...will prob do it tmorrow gonna be nice here

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    na the gears were perfect and so was the fluid, and there wasn even a single shaving on the magnet....i am gonna have to check the brakes,...will prob do it tmorrow gonna be nice here
    Good deal, just check to see that all the bolts are there and tight... That fooled me once haha

Thread Information