Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Rearend Went, Need Tips

This is a discussion on Rearend Went, Need Tips within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS I would research a little on the CF drive shaft before dropping that much money on ...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would research a little on the CF drive shaft before dropping that much money on one. I've heard that rocks and other debris can cause damage to them because they are made of carbon fiber. I personally went with a PST.
    I run a CF on mine and never had a problem - looks like new. Might depend on the brand though - you get what you pay for.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Are you refering to the 9 inch as a bad rear end, or upgrading the 10 bolt as a waste of time? If the 9 inch - you are sadly mistaken. If upgrading the 10 bolt - you are quite correct.
    1st...i think you need to RE-READ my post thoroughly, as i can see you are having severe abilities in seeing EXACTLY what i said...

Are you saying the 9" is better then the 12 bolt.?.?.?.

Yes i am saying the 9" is nothing special, and not better then the 12 bolt, but just a diff everyone runs to for as per ease.

The pin bearing set up is anything BUT ideal... the pins are narrow and short, the 3rd bearing MUST be in the housing... it is not there as a precautionary upgrade...(as most people believe, it has to be there)
    If you think it is...you have a lot to learn about diffs

The 10 bolt USED in these cars are horrific....

Saying the 9" is the end all like you seem to be on a path to doing.... is so untrue...

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Before I ordered my driveshaft, I did find an adapter u-joint that would have worked at our local NAPA. I agree though, the stock piece would just be the "next weakest link" in the chain. There have been a few posts on here in the past year or so where guys have torn up their stock shafts.
    adapter or conversion joints are not for racing.... ANYTHING you get out of Napa, Advance or any of the other big chains are China junk....

The factory 3r series joint which is what you all have factory is much stronger then you think, upgrading to 1350 is not much of a upgrade.
    The 3r series 5-795 joint from spicer will easily handle 800hp as will the spicer 1310 in spl-22.

I would research a little on the CF drive shaft before dropping that much money on one. I've heard that rocks and other debris can cause damage to them because they are made of carbon fiber. I personally went with a PST.
    Whoever said that did much more then have a pebble hit it..

CF shafts do not come apart from a pebble hitting it, nor damage occur from such a thing....

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

The one I was looking at was $1000.hopefully the t/a will not be driven as much in the future,I want to get a cheap little truck soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Let's tone it down a bit. No need for the flaming to get your point across.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
    Whoever said that did much more then have a pebble hit it..CF shafts do not come apart from a pebble hitting it, nor damage occur from such a thing....
    Just stating what I read on this site. I know CF DS are supposed to be stronger and offer less rotational mass which helps with vibration. I am just kind of skeptical is all.

How long have CF DS's been around? Just wondering.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

1st...i think you need to RE-READ my post thoroughly, as i can see you are having severe abilities in seeing EXACTLY what i said...

Are you saying the 9" is better then the 12 bolt.?.?.?.

Yes i am saying the 9" is nothing special, and not better then the 12 bolt, but just a diff everyone runs to for as per ease.

The pin bearing set up is anything BUT ideal... the pins are narrow and short, the 3rd bearing MUST be in the housing... it is not there as a precautionary upgrade...(as most people believe, it has to be there)
    If you think it is...you have a lot to learn about diffs

The 10 bolt USED in these cars are horrific....

Saying the 9" is the end all like you seem to be on a path to doing.... is so untrue...
    Maybe you should RE-READ my post as well. I was simply asking a question to clarify your statement. As for which rear end is better, that is a matter of opinion. Many with M6s prefer to run a 9 inch, as they seem hold up better. Whereas many with A4s prefer to run a 12 bolt. There are pros and cons to each, and I suggest that the OP research and then decide as to which rear end might suit him the best per his needs/goals for the car. Also these are not the only two rear ends available for our cars either - so there are those rear ends to factor in as well (although the 12 bolt and 9 inch seem to be among the more popular).

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Just stating what I read on this site. I know CF DS are supposed to be stronger and offer less rotational mass which helps with vibration. I am just kind of skeptical is all.

They've been around since at least the 80's - not sure if they were made earlier than that though.

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

CF shafts have been in use for 30 years.

CF offers less weight to get moving (decreases your time)
    CF removes vibration transfers thru the tube
    CF offers some safety if it should break....since normally they should splinter (depending on who's shaft you use and how many times they wrap it, some shops use so many layers they do not splinter when they break)
    CF also is better as for its rigid design... unlike steel and AL cf doesn't twist...if it does it fails... Steel and AL twist, steel doesn't have the ability to return to it's original form when it does twist, AL does return if it twists...
    stl can twist up to 3% of it's length before it fails, whereas AL can go as much as 11% and then return

More dreams than money... Cobra Killer's Avatar

White
    99 Z-28

So do you guys recommend going through a shop and have them build me a 12 bolt? Or just order one from the net? I cant believe they have found a way to make these 10 bolts stronger.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Killer View Post
    So do you guys recommend going through a shop and have them build me a 12 bolt? Or just order one from the net? I cant believe they have found a way to make these 10 bolts stronger.
    I would order right from the manufacture unless Mark at KYSPEED can hook you up on pricing.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I had a terrible experience with a online vendor(thunder racing) ended up paying almost $3000 all together for this rear including paying to send my axles back to moser to have the correct reluctor wheels installed,so I highly recommend ordering straight from moser or strange!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

If you order a moser axle from a vendor/dealer, you are getting EXACTLY what you would from moser....Same thing except you went thru their dealer system.....

Though there is a chance the vendor will give you a break on price whereas the Manufacture will not.....or they will lose dealers to sell there product....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you order a moser axle from a vendor/dealer, you are getting EXACTLY what you would from moser....Same thing except you went thru their dealer system.....

Though there is a chance the vendor will give you a break on price whereas the Manufacture will not.....or they will lose dealers to sell there product....

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I got exactly a pain in the ass experience,not to mention a month's wait,when moser says it only takes 3 days to build,and then when I did get it,it was ordered wrong! F*ck vendors order direct from manufacturer,it might cost a hundred bucks more,but it will be right!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went through a semi-local speed shop and the price was less than Moser's. Had no issues with the order. If I had to do it again, I would be calling up Mark at KY Speed.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Well if thunder racing would have order my 12 bolt correctly I would have saved a hundred bucks over moser's price,but since theu are incompetent and refused to pay even a portion of the cost of their mistake,I am having to pay about $372 bucks more for extra labor,shipping costs to send the axles back to moser,and the extra 2 weeks the car is down in the shop.not to mention the f ing run-around they gave me about shipping dates.
    Posted via Mobile Device

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

You think moser doesn't make mistakes....

I have ordered a few things for customers and they made some mistakes....

From bearings, to wheel bolt pattern, to length....

Not hard to hand you a paper and fill out the measurements and then fax it to them....

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I think moser knows what reluctor wheel goes on a 98-02 t/a!
    Posted via Mobile Device

1971, 73,78, 85,92,95,

Yeah and when i tell the man directly at moser I need 28" and on a 5.5 bolt pattern and get 28" and 5 on 4 bolt pattern....and the customer is standing next to me.....what would you say....wait, and the customer says to me "i was standing right next to you when you ordered it, how did they F it up" while i gotta deal with his unhappiness and help him get to the track tomorrow, while moser relaxes and i play damage control for them for free.....
    Then the customer is mad at who......not who they should be mad at...

Have you ever seen how these big operations operate....

There is 2 or 3 brains there and a army of people told to do this..

You called a dealer..... you said you want XX, he called moser and said i got a customer that needs a XX, they said ok it's in stock or not or it's 3 days out or whatever and that is that..

How in the world could the dealer DO ANYTHING to F you up..... Wait...he took the reluctors off......

If you went to moser.... like i went to ups....like when i saw ups personnel loading package cars by throwing and kicking boxes in them...
    It was then that i had to say.....you know what the customer is right he probably didn't do a god damned thing but open the box and took out a dented shaft.....

How about this....... This was f'in priceless..... a tci trans....the best of everything they had.....we get it...we hear a noise when removing it from it's crate....
    Take the pan off and the valve body is dangling in there....

Is that my fault, i am the dealer.... i did nothing but make a phone call and direct how it was to be.....

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

the reluctor deal was the icing on the cake,they(vendor)gave us the run around for a month,they promised no more than 4 seperate times the axle would ship out on a certain day.i had to call them every time,they never called us back when we left messages,and when they reluctor wheel issue came up they said they "thought" the one they ordered was right.there is a post in aag where i tell the entire story(what do i do now,the nightmare 12 bolt)if you read that i think you will better understand why i was upset with the vendor,i am sure you run your business better than these people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information