Rearend advice??

This is a discussion on Rearend advice?? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I had someone tell me to put a 12 bolt because the 9 inch would take more power to turn... ...

Black/Silver Stripes
    2000 Trans am Ws6

Rearend advice??

I had someone tell me to put a 12 bolt because the 9 inch would take more power to turn... What rear end would you use and where would be the best place to purchase??

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

A4 or M6?

Black/Silver Stripes
    2000 Trans am Ws6

that would help huh lol... its m6

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you're going to drag race it alot I'd get the 9 inch. You won't notice any difference in the hp loss between the two.

Black/Silver Stripes
    2000 Trans am Ws6

alright.. its gonna be mostly a street car and occasionally brought to the track.. Im just curious because the other day i talked to a guy and he mentioned that to me because i was thinking about a 9 inch and he said as long as ur not planning over 600 hp then you should stick w/ 12 bolt... just making sure...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well a 12 bolts fine. I have one in my M6 (Strange) but they're not indestructable. Mine has held up pretty good, makes alot of noise tho. 9' will tend to stay the quietest and with a Detroit Locker can take whatever you throw at it.

Autofab Race Cars has the best pricing i've found on the Moser and Strange rears by far.....ask for Josh 410 796 8777

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

go with autofab
    i bought a nine inch moser about two weeks ago from them, it took almost a week to get it and i am waiting on it to come back from being powder coated now

the help was great and they acually screwed up and ordered the axles with the exciter rings but they were more than willing to fix the problem for me but i told them i would just disconnect the abs and everything would be fine

oh and moser wasnt willing to work with them but autofab was going to eat the mistake,so all in all i would say service is great

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

and just incase make sure your axles have or dont have the exciter rings on them,if you dont know an exciter ring looks like a gear on the axle right behind the plate on the end of your axle with the studs that you bolt your rim to
    a sensor reads the teeth on that gear and determines how to apply the brakes off of that
    sorry if you know all of this i just didnt want anyone else getting the wrong setup

that is how you know if you have a 3channel or 4 channel abs

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

From my reseach, the 12 bolt is certainly an upgrade from the 10 bolt, however many seem to experience a good bit of whine, etc. after a couple hard drops on a M6. If you're running a decent tire, anywhere near 400 rwhp and plan to take a couple runs down the track a year, I would recommend you just go with the 9 bolt and be done with it.

That being said, there are plenty of guys out there running a 12 bolt on A4 cars (and some with M6's) that are very pleased with the product.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    and just incase make sure your axles have or dont have the exciter rings on them,if you dont know an exciter ring looks like a gear on the axle right behind the plate on the end of your axle with the studs that you bolt your rim to
    a sensor reads the teeth on that gear and determines how to apply the brakes off of that
    sorry if you know all of this i just didnt want anyone else getting the wrong setup

that is how you know if you have a 3channel or 4 channel abs
    Another easy way to see if you have 3 channel or 4 channel ABS is if you have the stupid fun arresters on your car (aka traction control) then you have 4 channel. Traction control needs to see both rear wheel speeds, not just the differential ring gear.

Thread Information