Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear is gone.

rapter34

Angry Rear is gone.

Well it finally did it I had suspected that it wold be going out by the noise, My stupid 10 bolt is no more. I always knew this would happen just kind of a bad time with me starting my summer job. now comes the endless debate about what rear I should get. I always hear that the 9" is the cheapest way to go and are very strong. If people would like to weigh in and give me some input as to what to get i.e. where to get a good one for a low price and what options I should get.

White
    2002 Ponitac Trans Am WS6

I have a Moser 9" in mine. Any aftermarket place can sell you one and they are all about the same price.

2002 WS6 Trans Am
    Mods To Many To Mention.
    The Money Pit

rapter34
    how much was yours with installation?

White

Mine was with out the 4channel set up.The axle was about $2250. Install about $350.I wasn't even going to try this install in the driveway.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

First of all, is your car A4 or M6?

rapter34
    its m6

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well if it's gonna be drag raced alot with sticky tires I'd go Moser 9 inch or the Strange S60. Otherwise a Strange 12 bolt will do.

rapter34
    isnt the 9 cheaper than the 12? what are the big differences in noise and ride quality? also how long does moser take to deliver on an order?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

rapter34
    well it looks like im going to be ordering the 9". At least now I can go balls to the wall without a worry in the world about my rear

rapter34
    Im looking at some of the options for when I order and was wondering if there is an advantage for going with an aluminum case? and do I go with the 1350 yoke or 1310?

rapter34
    so im on the phone with the shop where it is at and the guy is telling me that I should replace it with another 10 bolt and that he has friends who are pushing 600 HP on it. Im not calling him a liar but damn 600HP with the 10 bolt

White
    1999 SS

no 10 bolt, unless its a $200 used one to bandaid you bye. Drop the cash now, or drop another 10 bolt later.

White

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    so im on the phone with the shop where it is at and the guy is telling me that I should replace it with another 10 bolt and that he has friends who are pushing 600 HP on it. Im not calling him a liar but damn 600HP with the 10 bolt
    Just forget the 10 bolt. Trust us it ain't worth it. You will be pouring cash into a dead axle.Anybody with hp. will tell you go 12 or 9 end of discussion!!!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

While there are certainly (freak) occurrences of guys throwing 450 rwhp at a 10 bolt for a bunch of runs at the track, I would recommend you just step up to a 9" rear and be done with it.

The benefit of the aluminum shaft is reduced weight (and hence, reduced parasitic loss from the drivetrain). Given that the 9" rear is already heavier than the stock 10 bolt, lots of guys go with the aluminum shaft.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I've seen bolt on six speeds break 12 bolts. 10 Bolts? Lol! As far as your 9 inch goes, personally I'd get the Detroit Locker, 35 spline axels, aluminum center section and don't forget to have them put a drain plug on it. Nice choice btw.

rapter34
    ok what is the difference between trutrac and Detroit locker? also what is the difference between 31 and 35 spline? thanks

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

35 spline will be stronger. No downside, just more exspensive I believe. As far as lockers, the Detroit Locker is just about indestructible. It will make ratcheting noises when you make turns as both axels are locked together while driving straight, kinda like a spool, but will still disengage going around turns. It's a lil noisy, some like it some hate it. The True trac is more like a posi. Quiet seamless operation, jury is still out on the abuse it can take tho.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Sorry

Well here I would HIGHLY recommend going with a 9" and Not spending the money for a Moser.

We went over this in vast detail many times now. Here is probably the best one with many pics for you to see.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=s60

I posted a link in that thread for you. They are great guys and will blow Moser's price out of the water.

If you don't have that kind of money right now just hit the junkyard. You should be able to get one for $200-300.

Here is a link again just in case. They manufacture in house and can make the housing ANY length and for any chassis.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing

A Detroit locker uses dog teeth to lock which is the best in my opinion.I like to do donuts and Love the noise of the locker. Clutch type posi's don't like donuts.

And unless you are going to have 800+ ft lbs of tq you'll Never break a qaulity 31 spline axles. I have a car that goes 9.20's and 1.28 60 ft's for years now on 31's to give you an idea.
    Last edited by LS2Tuner; 05-18-2008 at 07:10 AM.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Well here I would HIGHLY recommend going with a 9" and Not spending the money for a Moser.

We went over this in vast detail many times now. Here is probably the best one with many pics for you to see.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...&highlight=s60

I posted a link in that thread for you. They are great guys and will blow Moser's price out of the water.

If you don't have that kind of money right now just hit the junkyard. You should be able to get one for $200-300.

Here is a link again just in case. They manufacture in house and can make the housing ANY length and for any chassis.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Quick-Performance-Racing

A Detroit locker uses dog teeth to lock which is the best in my opinion.I like to do donuts and Love the noise of the locker. Clutch type posi's don't like donuts.
    Click for full size
    And unless you are going to have 800+ ft lbs of tq you'll Never break a qaulity 31 spline axles. I have a car that goes 9.20's and 1.28 60 ft's for years now on 31's to give you an idea.
    Do they sell em with torque arm mounts for the 4th gen? Didn't see any on their site. The complete 9" rears they do sell don't seem to be any cheaper than the Moser's I see advertised.

Thread Information