Rear Ends

This is a discussion on Rear Ends within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Good morning. I am consiering a set of 4-10 gears, ahave an M6. Is it possible to break the rear ...

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

Rear Ends

Good morning. I am consiering a set of 4-10 gears, ahave an M6. Is it possible to break the rear end with street tires? Wont the tires spin before u break the ring and pinion ? How are these gears from a roll compared the the 3-42s ?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Cop View Post
    Good morning. I am consiering a set of 4-10 gears, ahave an M6. Is it possible to break the rear end with street tires? Wont the tires spin before u break the ring and pinion ? How are these gears from a roll compared the the 3-42s ?
    much faster, youll love them......and YES u can break the rear at stock power levels.......runnning street tires u should be fine though.....drag rads+ high rpm launches at the track could easily equal the end of your rear

black
    02 ws6

once you blow your rear is just a simple swap, or does blowing it do more damage? how much is a new rear?

black
    99 Z28

yea u can break the rear end with street tires

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by emoFTW View Post
    yea u can break the rear end with street tires
    sure a lot of things CAN happen.......your engine can blow up for no reason what so ever as welll..............its not likely to blow up your rear on street tires if u know how to drive your car.......im on my 2nd 6 speed ls1 fbody ...the 1st being a 99 6 speed z i beat the PISSSSS out of for 40k miles.......rear didnt even whine when i got rid of it........as long as your tires are breaking loose youll be fine for a long while....theres a reason im still running street tires and not drag rads...somthings gotta give.....its either your rear or your tires ..pick one

Spiral Gray
    2004 Auto Corvette

How much faster 2 or 3 tenths or so ??

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Im stock with street tire and I broke my rear doin a fishtail onto a street. Never really beat the piss outta my car but I did drive it and still broke. 10 bolt fail

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Im stock with street tire and I broke my rear doin a fishtail onto a street. Never really beat the piss outta my car but I did drive it and still broke. 10 bolt fail
    ouch..how many miles on the car? u the orig owner? most stories i hear about broken rears just tend to come from guys that launch there car at the track often

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

I went through 4 rebuilds on my stock rearend in my '98 M6 T/A RamAir. Whining that I couldn't handle. Had the car for 152K miles, never took her to the strip and always had street tires on her. The factory rearends were under engineered for the power output of the factory engines....obviously! I have 4.10's in my '00 T/A but it's got a 9" Midwest Chassis rearend underneath it too. From what I hear, it's supposed to be bulletproof. The launch with 4.10's is amazing, and it raps through the gears so fast...you are shifting like...bam, bam, bam. My first quick gear change and several after that were evidenced by my inexperience to the 4.10's, cuz I hit the rev limiter every time!!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    ouch..how many miles on the car? u the orig owner? most stories i hear about broken rears just tend to come from guys that launch there car at the track often
    107k ive had it for 8k of that. Took it to the track once and didnt lauch it hard or ever really launch it. Im guessin the original owner had their share with that but ford 9" will be here in about a month with 4.10's

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

you will love the 4.10s i installed them in my old 6 speed and they were fine until i launched the car on stickies but i beat the hell out of it street racing and never a problem even with drag radials

i saw about a tenth faster in the 1/8 mile but they will really shine from a roll

Thread Information