Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Rear end rebuild

Hi I'm started to notice that my rear end my 98 TA is getting louder. The car has 105K miles on it. I dont race on the track. I do occasional hard take off's that's pretty much it. I know the stock 10 bolts are not very reliable but I can't afford a 12 bolt. How will it cost to get all the parts to rebuilt my rear end?

Im comfortable replacing the axles and bearings but im not so sure about the pinion and carrier bearings. I know that the gears have to align perfectly if not there will be damage eventually. If I get all the parts OEM can I used the same shims and it will stay aligned? and how can I torque the pinion bearings correctly?

Can I use the axles of a rear end that has traction control in a non traction control rear end?

Im trying to see if I can tackle this but I might need to take my rear end to a respectable place or get me an used one to run the car in the meantime. thanks.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

It'll probably cost too much to have someone rebuild it, depending on what wrong with it(rough estimate maybe in the $900 to $1500 range). The cheapest solution is to buy a used rear end assembly from a junkyard, eBay, Craigslist, or from our classifieds if you can find one ($200 to $500) and swap it in yourself.

Black
    1998 Z28

^^^picking up a used rearend is the easist and least expensive way to go.
    Just gotta make sure replacement rearend is same channel as rearend being replaced.
    98s' had Auburn 'posi',99-02 had Torsen 'posi'.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the replies. Is there a number or markings on the rear ends that will help distinguish between the different rear ends? I know the M6 ones have the 4.10 gears and i believe mine is 3.23 since is an A4. I got a person that parts out these vehicles and he has rear ends availables.

May I ask why I have to use an auburn rear end? thanks.

Black
    1998 Z28

BEST to use a rear from a 98-02.
    Don't use a rear from a V6 as it probably won't have a posi
    Option codes:
    M6-GU6=3.42
    A4-GU2=2.73 GU5=3.23

NO,you don't have to use a rear that has an Auburn 'posi',I was just stating what years came with what type of 'posi'.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanZ28 View Post
    BEST to use a rear from a 98-02.
    Don't use a rear from a V6 as it probably won't have a posi
    Option codes:
    M6-GU6=3.42
    A4-GU2=2.73 GU5=3.23

NO,you don't have to use a rear that has an Auburn 'posi',I was just stating what years came with what type of 'posi'.
    Thanks. I know these codes are on the door of the car, but what about if the rear end is already out of the vehicle. I mean I would think that the person selling it will know but you know how that goes. is there a difference is size and or lenght in a V6 vs V8? Any codes stamped on the rear end itself?

Black
    1998 Z28

no on-rearend identification that I know of.
    V6 looks identical to a V8 rearend.
    count pinion rotations to turn axle(s) once will tell ratio.
    turning an Auburn axle causes the other axle to turn exactly the same.
    turning an Torsen axle does not cause the other axle to turn most of the time.
    pull the cover and look

Auburn posi

Torsen posi

driving down to Daytona for Turkey rod run today,so I'll be offline until Thursday
    Last edited by oldmanZ28; 11-24-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thanks for the pics and info. have fun at the Turkey Rod.

Black
    1998 Z28

got a full agenda:Turkey rod run,Universal Islands of Adventure,Old Town in Kissimmee,Coyote Ugly in Ybor,Roundup near Tampa,Cowboys in Orlando,Spring Hill to visit my daughter,6 local(?) cruise-in/club meets to try to attend,all in 3 days(maybe 4).

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

hey bud I was like you think I could not afford a 12blot but I look at how much it cost to rebulid the 10 blot, you have to put in a 4 channel posi if you want to keet your asr ($350-$500), gears(same price range) if you are not doing to work yourself, whitch on them 10blot you really want someone to put it in, if you have some one rebuild it anywhere from 500-1000 bucks, and if your going to do all that get a rear end cover to the bolts stonger,

I bought my Moser 12blot with 3.73, new yolk, cover, Tru-Track posi 33 spine axels for $2500, and had it put in for around $350, now I went balls out on my 12blot and bought every opion, you dont really need the cover and axels that are that beefy, I am like you I dont go to the track but I do get on it, plus I have a rebult auto with coveter, l add up all the cost and yes the 12blot cost around $250 more to put in but I happy with my 12blot, every sence I put it in I love how the car feels, its feel like a more richer and refined car, so My adive is to do what I did, add up all the cost for the 10 blot rebulid, and call moser see whitch opioins you want and see how much that will cost you(12blots start at $1200 and go up with all the opions you put on there) and see whitch one is better for your needs and budjet for me I was willing to pay just a few hundred more and get a better rear end that I dont have to worry about , I seen 10 blot rebuils go pop just a few hard launches, people have rebulild there 10 blot and ramp on them everyday, but like the roman and persain empires, where stong there dint last just like the 10blots hope this help yea,
    2002 Camaro Z28 Stock Ls1 longtube Slp Headers,Slp Y-pype, Flowmaster 80 series ,Level 10 Trans, Moser 12 blot 3.73s 33-spine axels tru-track posi, 335rwhp 345rwtq (STOLEN!!! 02/2011)

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    hey bud I was like you think I could not afford a 12blot but I look at how much it cost to rebulid the 10 blot, you have to put in a 4 channel posi if you want to keet your asr ($350-$500), gears(same price range) if you are not doing to work yourself, whitch on them 10blot you really want someone to put it in, if you have some one rebuild it anywhere from 500-1000 bucks, and if your going to do all that get a rear end cover to the bolts stonger,

I bought my Moser 12blot with 3.73, new yolk, cover, Tru-Track posi 33 spine axels for $2500, and had it put in for around $350, now I went balls out on my 12blot and bought every opion, you dont really need the cover and axels that are that beefy, I am like you I dont go to the track but I do get on it, plus I have a rebult auto with coveter, l add up all the cost and yes the 12blot cost around $250 more to put in but I happy with my 12blot, every sence I put it in I love how the car feels, its feel like a more richer and refined car, so My adive is to do what I did, add up all the cost for the 10 blot rebulid, and call moser see whitch opioins you want and see how much that will cost you(12blots start at $1200 and go up with all the opions you put on there) and see whitch one is better for your needs and budjet for me I was willing to pay just a few hundred more and get a better rear end that I dont have to worry about , I seen 10 blot rebuils go pop just a few hard launches, people have rebulild there 10 blot and ramp on them everyday, but like the roman and persain empires, where stong there dint last just like the 10blots hope this help yea,
    I agree with you. At the end it prolly cost me about the same or more. The thing is I just don't have the $2500 bucks at the moment. I'm going to keep running this 10 bolt until breaks. If at that time I can afford the 12 bolt I'll go for it. If I can't I'll just buy me an used 10 bolt.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Thats the way I am also. My power level doesn't make an upgrade a priority. Yes, the 10 is a POS, but the 10 bolt is also just fine for most stockish daily drivers who don't super abuse the thing with wheel hopping launches.

I've been running 10 bolts for the past 8 years on low 13 sec, high 12s cars without any issues. I'm not easy on them, but I don't abuse them...much.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Thats the way I am also. My power level doesn't make an upgrade a priority. Yes, the 10 is a POS, but the 10 bolt is also just fine for most stockish daily drivers who don't super abuse the thing with wheel hopping launches.

I've been running 10 bolts for the past 8 years on low 13 sec, high 12s cars without any issues. I'm not easy on them, but I don't abuse them...much.
    Agreed

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

I knw 10 bolt sux. But I see the difference between. Torsen and auburn Posi. But what's the diffence? They look totally diferebt. What's the difference from each other?

I hope some 1 can answer my question
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    I knw 10 bolt sux. But I see the difference between. Torsen and auburn Posi. But what's the diffence? They look totally diferebt. What's the difference from each other?

I hope some 1 can answer my question

I was told the Auburn is for cornering and the Torsen is for straight lines. The auburn i had busted at the drag strip and twisted my driveshaft into at launch. Just my experience with the Auburn.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

auburn use cone shaped clutches to transmit power. They work great when new but wear out fast.
    Torsen uses gears to create posi traction under load. They are pretty complex to understand how they work and even harder to explain. Theoretically since they don't have clutches, they don't wear out.
    Here's a video on the Eaton Trutrac which is the same as the Torsen.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZmsY2YvVsc&feature=fvw[/ame]

Thread Information