Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear End Options

This is a discussion on Rear End Options within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Several years ago I had a modded 2000 Ws6 with a six speed that I was blowing rearends out of ...

Blue
    2001 WS6 TA

Rear End Options

Several years ago I had a modded 2000 Ws6 with a six speed that I was blowing rearends out of right and left. I put a Moser 12 bolt in and the whine was horrible. I eventually put a Ford 8.8 hybrid rear end in that was built by a guy named Craig from the Fort Worth Area. I loved that rear end!, it was quiet and held up to an unbelievable amount of abuse. I have a modded 2001 WS6 that I am currently building that I desperatly need a good rear end for. Does anybody know of there are still any of the 8.8 hybrid rearends being built? If not, where is the best place to get a dependable 12 bolt?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Strange 12 bolts are supposed to be nice.

Personally, I would go with a Moser 9", or if you have the money... Midwest fabbed 9".

The Moser 9" is pretty affordable.
    370 CI - Twin 6766 Turbo - Jakes stage 5 4L80E - MWC 9" - Holley Dominator

Build in progress...

2002 WS6 / 2009 G8 GT

Cost wise... buying a pre-built f-body ready rear end, or finding a good local shop to build something? Any major cost differences?

There is a guy named Cam on LS1 Tech who builds 31 spline 8.8s with torque arm mounts, all F-body hardware, 9" axle ends, and your choice of width. You choose what axles you want; either keep the Ford bolt pattern, or get the Chevy bolt pattern. I'm talking to him right now, about building me an 8.8. He's got like a thousand passes on his, with zero failures. In fact, I haven't heard of any 8.8s failing (knock on wood). With the 9" ends (that eliminate the c-clips) the 8.8 is rumored to be stronger than a 12-bolt and nearly as strong as a 9", but is considerably lighter and you don't lose the HP like you do with a 9. Plus, the trac-loc posi units found in the late model Exploders/Mountaineers are very strong, and are available in three great gear ratios for F-Bodys: 3.55, 3.73, and 4.10.

If you need any 8.8 or 9" parts, I can get them for pretty cheap. I can get the 31 spline 8.8s from Exploders/Mountainers, 28 spline 8.8s from Mustangs, and I even have a 9" out of an early 80's Bronco. It's the second strongest factory 9 built by Ford and has the 31 spline axles, big bearings, and big brakes. The only 9 stronger than this one, was the nodular case with Daytona pinion support.

Most Strange 12-bolts whine...LOUD. Most Moser 12-bolts will start to whine after a couple 4k clutch dumps. 8.8s don't whine. 9s don't whine. You can build a pretty much bulletproof 8.8 for under $1500 bucks (even cheaper if you can fab up/weld your own brackets, torque arm mount, etc). You can find some used 12-bolts for about the same amount, but you'll probably have to go through the rear and inspect it for damage from the previous owner, costing more money. I haven't really seen too many used 9s for sale. Let's be honest, the 9" is the best rear ever built, and people normally hold on to them. However, they're not without drawbacks...heavy, lose 3-5% hp, different pinion angle, etc. I know when I priced out an M9 the way I wanted it, it was going to be nearly 3-grand...ouch!!

Just shoot me an email if you need any more information.

I'm in Del Rio, TX.

Thanks,
    OG
    Last edited by ogfalcon; 01-09-2010 at 06:45 AM.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

ok,i have priced 12 bolts from moser and strange and they are close to 3 grand,i want to keep my abs and tcs so that rules out a 9 inch. i love the 8.8 ford as i never had any trouble from it in the 4 v8 mustangs i have owned (87,92,96,97) so how much for a fully assembled 8.8 hybrid ready to bolt in and more importantly will i be able to keep my abs/tcs. my car is a 02 ws-6 with a auto trans,it doesn't see the dragstrip much and is a daily driver the factory 10 bolt has accumulated over 200k miles so i don't need the strongest rear axle known to man but i would like to have something stronger than a 10 bolt because future plans include a engine swap with a goal of 450 rwhp. thanks

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    ok,i have priced 12 bolts from moser and strange and they are close to 3 grand,i want to keep my abs and tcs so that rules out a 9 inch. i love the 8.8 ford as i never had any trouble from it in the 4 v8 mustangs i have owned (87,92,96,97) so how much for a fully assembled 8.8 hybrid ready to bolt in and more importantly will i be able to keep my abs/tcs. my car is a 02 ws-6 with a auto trans,it doesn't see the dragstrip much and is a daily driver the factory 10 bolt has accumulated over 200k miles so i don't need the strongest rear axle known to man but i would like to have something stronger than a 10 bolt because future plans include a engine swap with a goal of 450 rwhp. thanks
    I have ABS and TCS with my Moser 9"

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Like 35th said, You can keep TCS and ABS with a Moser 9".

You can also have a 4ch setup with a Ford 8.8. Just go over to "tech" and do a member search for "Cam." Ask him all the questions you'd like. Basically, he will build you an 8.8 set up with all the Fbody stuff and new Moser axles for less than $1500 bucks. Just tell him that "Gimme" (the guy from TX) recommended him. If you go with Cam, he'll supply everything you need, except the gears/posi. You'll have to supply that. I can get 31-spline gears/trac-lock from my area for prolly 150 or so. If you hit up a junk yard, you'll find TONS of 8.8s. However, the Mustangs have 28 spline axles, and the Exploders/Mountaineers have 31 spline axles. You want the gears out of the Exploders/Mtneer. If you want to get brave, (or have somebody local that can set up a rear), I can get you a whole 31-spline 8.8 or even a Ford 9. Hope that helps. Feel free to email me.

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Heard that poeople experienced issues with the tcs/abs with a 9 inch.also moser's catalog says that a 9 inch doesn't support abs/tcs so that's why I said that in my post.I stand corrected.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

So 12 bolt moser or strange?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

So 12 bolt moser or strange?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Between the two 12 bolts, I would personally go strange.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That 8.8 setup sounds good. How much whine is there?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea which one works and makes less noise?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

oh also what diff are you guys running? spools, clutch LSD's or worm type LSD's, lockers? what is your drug (lol) of choice?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    That 8.8 setup sounds good. How much whine is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Yea which one works and makes less noise?

the ones that make less noise are the ones that are setup and broken in properly...

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Between the two 12 bolts, I would personally go strange.
    I am leaning towards the strange 12 bolt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

white
    83 mustang coupe

I'm coming out with a trans brake and a 200 shot of n20 on a 8.8, but with a spool, the 8.8 is tough as nails. Ls powered mustang of course.

white
    83 mustang coupe

625 to the wheels with n20

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    the ones that make less noise are the ones that are setup and broken in properly...
    TOO true . How many people actually keep thier foot out of it for the full breakin.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Midwest performance chassis fab 9 inch ftw so many options it is worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information