Thread: Rear End Noise.

Sunset Orange
    2002 Z28

Rear End Noise.

Hey guys, I have a stock rear end on a 2002 Z28. I've been hearing a whomp-whomp-whomp noise coming from back there. Any ideas as to what this might be? Thanks.

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Dead squirrel caught in the driveshaft???

Sunset Orange
    2002 Z28

Rear end noise revised.

Well, now that the dead squirrel theory has been eliminated. What else could it be? I also get a load banging under heavy acceleration. Sounds like a hammer hitting the bopttom of the car in the rear.

1995 Z28 & 2002 Z28

Without actually hearing it, it sounds like a carrier bearing, this could be a result of not changing the oil or sheer beating on it. Pull off the inspection cover and check for metal fielings, you can also pull each cap off and check the races for abnormal wear. OR you could order a 12 bolt and be done with it....

99 Firebird Formula

Perhaps the pinion nut has come loose.

Navy Blue Metalic
    2002 Trans Am

I have that noise on my 2002 TA. I checked the magnet on the housing cover and it was caked with metal shavings. I change my diff oil myself and am confident that it's not from neglected maintenance. If the problem turns out to be the carrier bearing, what should I expect to pay at the dealership to have this fixed?

99 Firebird Formula

I would put money on the fact that it is more likely your pinion bearing(s) than a carrier bearing. Very rarely do they go bad...But yes, lots of shavings (not just normal limited slip clutch wear) is something to be concerned about. As far as cost at the dealership, I am unsure. I usually charge 6-7 hours labor to overhaul a rear end, but every shops labor rates will vary. New bearings for the rear end will probably run around $150 after you add in fluid, etc. Call a few dealerships beforehand and get an idea of price. Sometimes they will give you cheaper prices just to get you in the door...instead of if you just brought the car in and they gave you an estimate that day.

Sunset Orange
    2002 Z28

6-7 hours to overhaul a rear end? Dude, at that rate alamantia was right. I should bite the bullet and buy the 12 bolt and be done with it. I think I have everything figured out though. I had a bad u-joint causing the "whump" sound. And my new Y-Pipe and Flowmaster was causing the clanking. After some close inspection, I found the weight on the drive shaft was not clearing the new 3" pipe. Also the stock hangers do not fit a Flowmaster hanger very well. We had to tack a few small plates in place to keep it from moving. All in all, I wasn't nearly as bad off as first thought.

Sunset Orange
    2002 Z28

New problem, how can I check the fluid level in the rear end? After inspecting, I found quite a bit of oil on top of the differential (no evidence of a drip in the driveway). Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, I found the fill plug (a little plastice cylinder like plug?) very loose. I pressed this back in but am unsure how to check the level. Also, is the Lucus Oil synthetic 75W-90 good to use as a replacement? Thanks guys.

99PontTA
    the little plastic doo dad you refer to is the vent...the fill plug is below that on the housing...look for a square holed plug you can fit a 3/8 drive tool rachet or 3/8 drive extension into...then turn COUNTER CLOCKWISE to remove the plug.The oil level is checked at this hole.It should be within 1/2 inch of the hole.so as long as you can touch the oil with yer little finger inside the hole yer GOOD TO GO>you should be able to fit a 3/8 drive breaker bar into the space even if the exhaust is tight.Lucas oil is fine...but i'd use Mobil 1 synthetic 75-140 if you drive like a fool.....Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 if you drive normal and regular gear from any auto store if you wanna go cheap...it works well too....i use the Mobil 1 cause I LIKE IT! its good fer a little more fuel mileage and the chix dig my style.

Thread Information