Thread: rear end noise

red
    2002 z-28

rear end noise

I am trying to get this darn thing to work. I can build a computer from scratch (2-AMD 2.8GHZ processors 4GB of DDR3 RAM 1gb VIDEO cARD) built 3 years ago, but I can't figure out this website. I have a 02 Z-28 M-6 tranny
    3.41 auburn and I hope again I write this and someone can read it this time. I have launched car and bent driveshaft, Replaced with spohn 4130 Chrome -moly. But rear end makes noises. Have lifted it up and ran and gear and listened with stethoscope. Yes,serious. I cannot tell if it is carrier bearings,pinion, axle bearings. My question if this post works this time? Has anyone had same problem with rear=end noise. I removed cover and seen minimal metal shavings. Replaced cover and of course posi clutch fluid in "toothpaste tube: and gearoil, but seen no problem with ring and pinion and can't tell on bearings. Could I have crushed a ball bearing from launch?

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

What does the noise sound like and when does it make it?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Also the rears get noisy ase the mileage goes up and the harder you drive it the worst it gets. Mine made a whine noise for months before the teeth came off the gears.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I don't know if this is related to your problem but my rear was making a pretty loud whining sort of noise when I would turn occasionally and I changed the Differential Fluid and added the LSD additive to it and it went away. Just a suggestion....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

stock 10 bolt? yeah they'll get noisey if you pound on them. You may have crushed the crush sleeve a little bit and now the gears aren't contacting each other the same way they were and that'll cause a whine.

red
    2002 z-28

02 Z-28 rearend noise

I am glad my post made it through and totally appreciate the advice.
    I put my car up on drive up ramps then put the rear axle on jack-stands. Then I put it in gear and listen. I heard the tranny making a "knocking" sound. Sounded like something broke up in tranny. But since I have new drive shaft(stock aluminum was bent ~ 1/8"?). Now the noise is only in the rear. It is kinda a rumbling noise that slows down to nothing when I stop. Makes the noise wether clutch in or out. It is not too loud but noticeable. Car has 58K miles, but I have got on it. It has not made noise since launches. I just go about 30MPH and nail it in first(don't touch clutch). ASR off of course and she will spin both tires and even fishtail(love LS1 motor). That is when she started to make noise. Like comment about crush sleeve. Whatever bearings(pinion and carrier) don't think axle? I have done ring /pinion backlash(total bitch) on old truck. Would like to go to 4.11's maybe axles. Are bearings and auburn tough enough. I am limited on funds. As we all are I think. Sorry I am long here. Rickus

black
    2002 WS6

Sounds like a bearing issue to me. I had the pinion bearing fail on mine, and it made a Wawa type of nose, that increased or decreased with speed.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

on the subject of rearend noise, mine makes a sound only when i turn at a slow rate of speed it did it at 40k miles when I bought it and sounds exactly the same with 56k miles, limited slip maybe? no slipping during accelleration.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

well if you want 4.11 gears, then you'll need a new pinion and ring gear so i guess you can just figure it out when you do the swap. Unless the previous owner did a gear swap and did not get them connecting with each other very well. Gear swaps are a PITA so good luck to ya

red
    2002 z-28

You post your cars, Thanks for comeback. I "might " post my picture with my baby and the pool chlorine doing a bleach burnout with the 3.41 auburn in 10 bolt. Have you young folks done that before. That chlorine really makes the tires smoke. take care Rickus

red
    2002 z-28

I've done ring and pinion before. Shimmed it up and had no housing spreader. Front of my 61 Apache 20, Dana 44, Put dana powr/lok in front. Still have gear marking compund and put news paper through gears to check patern. Mg midget is unlocked & 72 Jeep cj-5 has lock rite in front and power trax in rear. I come to this website to learn and share what I know. Rickus.

Blog Entries

pewter
    1999 camaro ss

I was wondering about the crushed sleeve, bearing sleeve? what and where is it?

red
    2002 z-28

02 z-28 rear-end

I can't see a thing in 10 bolt (stock) rear end. only noise when wheels turning on blocks or driving and coasting. Don't mean to push this, but I concur it is my pinion or carrier bearing making the (rumble) sound. I do not think it is axle bearing.

red
    2002 z-28

I will telll you what it is, when I fix or have it fixed. Meanwhile I drive my 72 jeep. 61 Apache needs registration and 79 mg midget needs mucho work, I own many so one is always running

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z/28

Similar issue

I have an 02 Z28 with just under 50k and the rear end sounds exactly as you describe. I finally replaced the original tires and now all I can hear is the wow wow wow of my rear end when im going down the road. Same as described, its there when the clutch is engaged or not. I have inspected the rear end for leaks and everything looks good. Please keep me posted!

Thread Information