Results 1 to 7 of 7

Rear end noise?

This is a discussion on Rear end noise? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So lately ive noticed a very small clunking noise when im rolling at slow speeds but on y when i ...

  1. #1
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Rear end noise?

    So lately ive noticed a very small clunking noise when im rolling at slow speeds but on
    y when i have my car in neutral...its a 6 speed. but curious what that could be if anything. i only hear it when im rolling in my driveway about 5mph very slow but the u joints seem good i just am not sure what the sound is. Im sure it has to do w the rear end cause that all everyone tells me about with these cars (typically mustang guys) they just tell me how bad the rear ends are. but i really dont have the money for one right now so id like to get some mileage before i buy a 9" thanks for your help and hope i dont get bad news haha

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    I would'nt be surprised if it is your rear going. Weakest link in your drive line and known to go on our cars. Even the 6ers can have rear axle issues. But I'd try checking your torque arm for tightness and rear trany mount first.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #3
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would'nt be surprised if it is your rear going. Weakest link in your drive line and known to go on our cars. Even the 6ers can have rear axle issues. But I'd try checking your torque arm for tightness and rear trany mount first.
    I will check that today the sound made me think something with the driveshaft like universals it was like a hollow sound if that makes sense

  4. #4
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    I will check that today the sound made me think something with the driveshaft like universals it was like a hollow sound if that makes sense
    Yes it does make sense. Try checkin those things first before diving into a new axle tho. The torque arm can sometimes work itself loose. The rear trany mount issue some have goes clear back to 3rd gen days.. Good Luck..

  5. #5
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Or it could be a normal noise, just the noise of the gears working when coasting at slow speed in neutral like that. My car has always made this noise, 5 years now.

  6. #6
    Member Camaro69Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Agawam Mass
    Posts
    334

    Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Or it could be a normal noise, just the noise of the gears working when coasting at slow speed in neutral like that. My car has always made this noise, 5 years now.
    that would be great...i know my old trans am made a similar sound in neutral at low speeds but figured id ask cause alot of people on here know these cars inside and out i dont know much about them and i just got it a month ago so just little sounds stand out to me right now.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    that would be great...i know my old trans am made a similar sound in neutral at low speeds but figured id ask cause alot of people on here know these cars inside and out i dont know much about them and i just got it a month ago so just little sounds stand out to me right now.
    And any differential noise in our cars is scarey However, I seem to be one of the few people who are glad that GM put in a strong engine and not a strong rear. I'd rather have this *possible* problem then have to throw $2500 in the motor to hope for mid-low 13s @ over 103 MPH.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. rear end noise
    By rickus in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 10:36 AM
  2. Rear End Noise
    By nasdag in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 11:22 AM
  3. Rear end noise
    By BDESHIFTER98 in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 05:00 AM
  4. Question: rear end noise
    By Brad(WS/Z0.6) in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 01:45 PM
  5. Rear end noise
    By 980birds in forum Drivetrain
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •