Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rear End Leak?

This is a discussion on Rear End Leak? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 74K and no doughnuts this month...

I rather be wakeboarding SexyWS6Mama's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6

74K and no doughnuts this month

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Contrary to old school, your diff may need service every now and then. GM limited slip diffs have an additive to the gear oil to keep the clutches from wearing out and the additive itself has a limited life, you might want to have it changed, and make sure whoever does it uses the additive or you will be replacing a lot more than you want to in a few thousand miles

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SexyWS6Mama
    I went to get the pinion seal replaced and they started talking about a crush sleeve and how I need to get that replaced as well. Then he stated that I should probably have a diff service because my fluid smelt burnt.

I went to the shop to get the pinion sealed fixed and that's all I left the shop with.

Someone explain the other stuff to me please.
    He just means your fluid was probably old. And when gear oil gets old, it STINKS. Keep up with rear end services every 20k-30k miles or so.

The crush sleeve can be reused, they just need to set the pinion bearing preload to 8-12 inch/lbs tq instead of 24-32 inch/lbs tq (which is what you would use if it were new). It is what goes between both pinion bearings. It's a good idea to replace it if you are changing gears, or if you overtighten it.

99PontTA
    Quote Originally Posted by keliente
    He just means your fluid was probably old. And when gear oil gets old, it STINKS. Keep up with rear end services every 20k-30k miles or so.

The crush sleeve can be reused, they just need to set the pinion bearing preload to 8-12 inch/lbs tq instead of 24-32 inch/lbs tq (which is what you would use if it were new). It is what goes between both pinion bearings. It's a good idea to replace it if you are changing gears, or if you overtighten it.
    please explain how you reuse a crush sleeve?I assume you are a dealer tech.....be sure of what you post.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

He just means don't overtighten and crush it further, it is generally acceptable to do it that way

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    please explain how you reuse a crush sleeve?I assume you are a dealer tech.....be sure of what you post.
    I meant just what I said.

You can reuse the crush sleeve. You just need to be very careful when re-tightening, because if you tighten just a hair past the specified preload, then you will end up replacing the crush sleeve as well. You can't undo it and tighten it again like you would a bolt/nut should you pass the specification.

99PontTA
    I meant just what I said.

You can reuse the crush sleeve. You just need to be very careful when re-tightening, because if you tighten just a hair past the specified preload, then you will end up replacing the crush sleeve as well. You can't undo it and tighten it again like you would a bolt/nut should you pass the specification.
    BULL...you can't reuse it...this is why dealers should NOT work on rears...this is why i spent 2k fixing my rear after two dealers worked on it...each claiming the other didn't know what they were doing.There is only one way you could reuse thr crush collar and that would be if you marked the pinion nut and yoke and measured the bearing preload before removing the nut.Then if it was within specs you could reuse the nut,tighten it to the mark,check the preload and then if it was within specs add a small amount more turn to the nut and recheck the preload on the bearing.BUT NOONE would go through this much trouble and end up either overtightening the nut OR if they get it back close to where it was there is no preload on the crush collar and THE NUT TURNS ITSELF BACK OFF AS YOU DRIVe................................ASK ME HOW I KNOW ABOUT THIS????

99 Firebird Formula

Yeah you're right you can't reuse it. What do I know, I'm only ASE certified and do this for a living.

Just because one idiot screwed you over and left you with a whiny rear end doesn't mean they all will.

The nut turns itself off when you drive IF IT IS INSTALLED WRONG. With the factory shitty gm pinion nuts you have to 'ping' them...i.e. when it's ready to go, take a punch and smack the top of the nut in a couple places so that it cannot remove itself. Usually when you buy aftermarket gears w/ an install kit, it includes a heavy duty nut.

You do not need to mark the nut when you remove it. You can reuse the crush sleeve but beware of re-tightening it.

I have no idea what I'm doing though...probably only set up 100 or so rear ends with no problems whatsoever, new crush sleeve or not. How much do you really know about this anyway if you have to take your car somewhere to get it fixed?
    Last edited by keliente; 12-29-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You had a bad experience and you come yell at us about it? Someone did something wrong to your car and you magically know everything there is to know about rear-ends? Oh wait, you don't work on it yourself and you have to pay someone else to do it but you still know better than the dealer does how it should be done? I've done it, more than once, never had a problem. Not to mention the nut came back off as you drive, it tightens in the opposite direction of pinion rotation. . .hmmmmmm. keliente is cooooooorect

99PontTA
    Yeah you're right you can't reuse it. What do I know, I'm only ASE certified and do this for a living.

Just because one idiot screwed you over and left you with a whiny rear end doesn't mean they all will.

The nut turns itself off when you drive IF IT IS INSTALLED WRONG. With the factory shitty gm pinion nuts you have to 'ping' them...i.e. when it's ready to go, take a punch and smack the top of the nut in a couple places so that it cannot remove itself. Usually when you buy aftermarket gears w/ an install kit, it includes a heavy duty nut.

You do not need to mark the nut when you remove it. You can reuse the crush sleeve but beware of re-tightening it.

I have no idea what I'm doing though...probably only set up 100 or so rear ends with no problems whatsoever, new crush sleeve or not. How much do you really know about this anyway if you have to take your car somewhere to get it fixed?
    bullshit!

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

dangit, keli typed it all faster than me

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

can you not have a simple discussion without calling anything someone says that is in disagreement with you bullshit? I have yet to see a thread where someone disagrees with you that you don't say bullshit and act like we're all jackasses for disagreeing with you

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 99PontTA
    bullshit!
    This thread will no longer continue.

I am very sorry that you had some bad experiences, however that does not mean that all dealerships are bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information