Rear end gear change

What would i need to change from 2.73 to 3.83. I have a chevy 10 bolt out of a 2001 camaro with posi. Is there a kit i can buy?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSleeperBenz View Post
    What would i need to change from 2.73 to 3.83. I have a chevy 10 bolt out of a 2001 camaro with posi. Is there a kit i can buy?
    You can go to places like Summit but the typical gearings in that range are either 3.73 or 4.11's. The big problem with going to shorter gears on the 7 1/2s is the teeth get thinner and weaker, if you are laying down a good amount of power, they wont last.

What is this going into?
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    You can go to places like Summit but the typical gearings in that range are either 3.73 or 4.11's. The big problem with going to shorter gears on the 7 1/2s is the teeth get thinner and weaker, if you are laying down a good amount of power, they wont last.

What is this going into?
    Sorry typo 3.73 is what i meant. I heard i need to get a special spacer for my carrier because it is a 2 series and im going to a 3 series ring and pinion. Not quite sure. And funny you should ask. Its in a 1984 mercedes Benz 300cd four linked with all chevy drivetrain. Im from california so with it being a "diesel" theres no smog.

Im running a th400 trans so with the 2.73 its a dog off the line but i have top end forever. But id like to be quicker instead of having all that top end.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Im running a th400 trans so with the 2.73 its a dog off the line but i have top end forever. But id like to be quicker instead of having all that top end.
    You could also go with a shorter tire to take whatever ratio you put in down a little too.

My concern is what I ran into on my '89 TA that I had, I switched out 2.73's for 3.23's, and I ended up having several teeth break on me with some Richmonds. I am not saying it would happen to everyone but the thinner the teeth, the worse it could get.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry typo 3.73 is what i meant. I heard i need to get a special spacer for my carrier because it is a 2 series and im going to a 3 series ring and pinion. Not quite sure. And funny you should ask. Its in a 1984 mercedes Benz 300cd four linked with all chevy drivetrain. Im from california so with it being a "diesel" theres no smog.
    Yes, they make a spacer for installing "3" series gears in a "2" series carrier. The reason for this is that the pinion is offset from the carrier by a greater distance in a "2" than in a "3". Even though a "3" series pinion gear will drop in and a "3" series ring gear will bolt up, there would be a gap between the teeth without a spacer. I believe that some companies may also make a thicker ring gear to compensate. This avoids the need for a spacer and would be stronger. Been some time since I have looked into this though - I had to go with a spacer for a boneyard sourced "O" axle in our '70 Olds.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Yes, they make a spacer for installing "3" series gears in a "2" series carrier. The reason for this is that the pinion is offset from the carrier by a greater distance in a "2" than in a "3". Even though a "3" series pinion gear will drop in and a "3" series ring gear will bolt up, there would be a gap between the teeth without a spacer. I believe that some companies may also make a thicker ring gear to compensate. This avoids the need for a spacer and would be stronger. Been some time since I have looked into this though - I had to go with a spacer for a boneyard sourced "O" axle in our '70 Olds.
    I take it that Richmond is not one of the manufacturers that make a thicker ring gear?

I am assuming the 2.73 carrier is an open diff? I'd just get a three series posi carrier with 3.73 gears. Also an install kit. It comes with bearings, crush sleeve, seal, nut, shims, and some grease for setting your tooth pattern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Do you happen to know where to get the spacer im having trouble locating one.

Quote Originally Posted by hubes3845 View Post
    I am assuming the 2.73 carrier is an open diff? I'd just get a three series posi carrier with 3.73 gears. Also an install kit. It comes with bearings, crush sleeve, seal, nut, shims, and some grease for setting your tooth pattern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Its actually not an open diff. Its a limited slip. Thats why i want to just change the gears instead of buying a new carrier. They get pricey for sure.

Its actually not an open diff. Its a limited slip. Thats why i want to just change the gears instead of buying a new carrier. They get pricey for sure.

Here are some spacers. I'm pretty sure all the camaro 10 bolts are 8.5 rings, but I'm not positive about the newer ones. I think the 7.5's were s-10's and astros.

https://m.summitracing.com/search/pa...g-gear-spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you happen to know where to get the spacer im having trouble locating one.
    Summit, Jeg's, Motive Gear, and Strange Engineering all have spacers.

Black
    1998 Z28

2001 Camaro has 7.5/7.625 rears. A rear with 2.73 would have a Torsen 'posi'. Most V6s' had 3.08s with open carrier. The 2.73 series carrier(2 series) would require 'thick' gears. For that 2 series carrier there are 3 sets (3.42,3.73,4.10) that are available as 'thick' sets and are available from a few aftermarket manufacturers. A spacer is a 'last resort' usage situation. Any variance in the thickness of the spacer(comparing a couple different places of the spacer) will cause an inconsistent lash setting.
    Black 98Z A4 ,Yank SS3600 convertor,:SLP driveshaft loop,STB,PHB,LCAs,'flow-pac CAI,SFC,take-off 17x9 SS rims;StainlessWorks 'Y' & chambered exhaust,BMR LCA Relos,QA1s DblAdj-rear,Kenny Brown 6 Pt bolt-in cage,VGX pads

Thread Information