Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

which rear end is better?

This is a discussion on which rear end is better? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; you drive an automatic don't you? Your tranny is probably gonna go long before your rearend does. It's a crapshoot ...

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

you drive an automatic don't you? Your tranny is probably gonna go long before your rearend does. It's a crapshoot on whether or not the rear holds up in these cars, but automatics don't have NEAR the rearend failure chance that standards do. Wait till it breaks, cause the automatic tranny will most likely go first.

'99 Z28 It's got the BADASS mod
    IT'S FOR SALE here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f38/99z28-lower-price-70562/

so, I would stall the A4 and have to get a new tranny as well if I have 500rwhp? how's that? what do you suggest get a new tranny then stall it and get a cam that goes with the stall rating as well... is that the logical progression?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

depends what you want. Once you get a cam and stall you will up the shift points and rev limiter, and that alone kills the 4l60e eventually, but at the power you hope to make with h/c and especially with a s/c and it will be toast in no time. I wouldn't jump on replacing it before you have to, unless that's just the way you prefer to mod. When you're ready you can either have yours built or buy a built tranny. It's generally just as cheap to get a well built tranny from FLP for 2 grand as it is to have it done by a joe schmoe shop down the street from you. I like the FLP stage 4 4l60e http://www.flp2win.com/cart/transmission.php I don't trust Joe Schmoe down the street, and FLP is a great company.

Basically what I'd do is go ahead with the h/c and stall, and decide for yourself if you'd rather get the tranny now or wait till she blows. With the automatic, worry about the tranny before the rearend though.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I'm assuming with 368rwhp you already have headers at the least, and likely an LS6 intake and a few other goodies?

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    I'm assuming with 368rwhp you already have headers at the least, and likely an LS6 intake and a few other goodies?
    yeah, full botls on, lid, full exhaust, pulley, gears 3:73, now I need AFR heads and a cam, then 3200 stall... that should put me in the 440rwhp.
    I have to see how the tranny holds up on those mods, then proceed forward like you mentioned.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

That's the best plan in my opinion. Just save up the money for the tranny or rear and you'll be ready for whichever you need. At that power level you may be alright for quite a while, you just never know.

thanks for info mate!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information