Thread: Rear End

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Rear End

So i need to swap my rear end. i was thinking a 9" over a 12 bolt, but do i want a strange or a moser?
    Can someone chime in with some info on this and help me make a educated choice...

I have a 00 Trans Am, 6-speed.. and i know i need to swap the rear before i hit the track because if i hookup im going to SMASH it!!!!
    Then all i will have is cool little pieces to hang on my key chain..

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Moser 9"
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Moser 9"
    This is the one i am leaning toward the most.... why do you suggest it over the strange?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I also run a Moser 9". Pretty stout unit. Ordered it and had it in about 1 week. I have heard there is a wait for Strange or MWC rears. Moser seems to cost slightly less, depending on the options. A 9" is recommended for a M6, as the 12 bolt doesn't seem to hold up quite as well.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I agonized over what to get for our car to. Here's the thread I posted: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/how-pick-rear-125182/ The Strange S60 is also an option if you want something that is totally bulletproof.

I believe the breakdown goes something lke this:

Strength: S60 > 9" > 12 bolt

Weight: 12 bolt < 9" < S60

Efficiency: 12 bolt > S60 > 9"

The efficiency is mostly related to the pinion offset from the centerline of the ring gear, if I recall correctly. Car Craft had a good write up on this topic maybe 2 years ago. We're an A4 car so I went with the Moser 12 bolt, 33 spline axles, welded relocation and sway bar brackets, 4 channel, and True Trac. That was $2,800 in bare steel.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Pretty sure Strange does not offer a 9" housing for our F bods so that should narrow your choice down...

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Pretty sure Strange does not offer a 9" housing for our F bods so that should narrow your choice down...
    yes but Moser make one

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 2000dreambird View Post
    yes but Moser make one
    I know that. If you do then why did you ask?

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

I know that. If you do then why did you ask?

i should have written it as two questions .... do i want a 9" or a 12 bolt??????????? do i want a Moser or a Strang???????????????

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

i should have written it as two questions .... do i want a 9" or a 12 bolt??????????? do i want a Moser or a Strang???????????????
    Well if you want a 12 bolt than that's easy, you want the Strange. Moser 12 bolts torque arm mount sucks, not an issue with their 9" tho. I have a Strange 12 bolt and like it but if I could do it over I'd go with the Moser 9". Being as you have an M6, that's the way I'd go.

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Well if you want a 12 bolt than that's easy, you want the Strange. Moser 12 bolts torque arm mount sucks, not an issue with their 9" tho. I have a Strange 12 bolt and like it but if I could do it over I'd go with the Moser 9". Being as you have an M6, that's the way I'd go.
    after i opened this thread i heard about the midwest FAB 9"..... do you know anything about that one? you think it would be overkill?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Overkill - yes it might be. But some will say "Anything worth doing...is worth over doing." Someone on here has a FAB 9 and it looks badass.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

after i opened this thread i heard about the midwest FAB 9"..... do you know anything about that one? you think it would be overkill?
    Personally I like the standard Moser one so you can run any torque arm that you want but that's just me.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I installed my MWC Fab 9" last year and still think it was the best mod I've done. It's quiet (of course it'd be hard to hear anything over my exhaust) and was one of the easiest installs I've done. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is went with the full length torque arm instead of the tunnel brace mounted one. It's made trying to fit exhaust a real pain. The only problem I have is a small leak at the pinion seal- granted for the money I shouldn't have a single leak. All in all I think mine ran almost $4k after powder coating, suspension parts, and all the extras so not only is the MWC overkill in power, it's a bit pricey but I think it's worth every penny if I don't have to replace the rear again!

I posted some pics in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/mwc-rea...rrived-146101/
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

silver/black
    00 trans am,SLP,Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    I installed my MWC Fab 9" last year and still think it was the best mod I've done. It's quiet (of course it'd be hard to hear anything over my exhaust) and was one of the easiest installs I've done. The only thing I wish I'd done differently is went with the full length torque arm instead of the tunnel brace mounted one. It's made trying to fit exhaust a real pain. The only problem I have is a small leak at the pinion seal- granted for the money I shouldn't have a single leak. All in all I think mine ran almost $4k after powder coating, suspension parts, and all the extras so not only is the MWC overkill in power, it's a bit pricey but I think it's worth every penny if I don't have to replace the rear again!

I posted some pics in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/mwc-rea...rrived-146101/
    Thanks for the info man.... think ill be going with the FAB, im pushing 525 RWHP and i have plans to boost in the future

Black
    2001 Firehawk Formula

Here is a good article for the Moser 9 vs S60. S60 is heavier and less efficient.
    Strange S60 & Moser M9 Rearends - Bullet Proof Backends - Tech - GM High-Tech Performance Magazine

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The Moser 12 bolt does not have holes that run through the casting for the torque arm. Instead, four (4) shorter bolts are utlized and they have an odd looking dual stepped lock washer. UMI specifically states in its instructions that the Moser torque arm mount can be problematic and you need to check the bolts often. This being said, I installed our 12 bolt two years ago and haven't had any problems with the bolts loosening. The bolt threads and holes were cleaned with brake cleaner and medium strength Loc-Tite was utilized.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have a Moser 9" and it has handled everything I throw at it...without effort.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Thread Information