Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Rear Diff Additive

Had my rear end fluid changed about 3-4months ago and I have noticed that it is whining more than usual "specifically at interstate speeds"...I know the GM Additive was not used and they put synthetic oil in the rear end. Do you guys recommend the GM Additive? I've read quite a few threads on this subject and seen some people say yes and some people say no.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Yes. Get the GM additive and change you gear lube to conventional "Dino" oil. Our rears are weak enough, don't help it to an early grave.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Yes. Get the GM additive and change you gear lube to conventional "Dino" oil. Our rears are weak enough, don't help it to an early grave.
    so switch to non-synthetic and add the additive?
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I just used synthetic with the additive in it already and I haven't had any issues and it has been like that for a couple of years.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Even though the stock rear has a torsen type posi that utilizes gears rather than clutches GM recommends the use of the additive to combat what is described as a "rusty screw" type noise. I have also read that dino oil is recommended over synthetic, but I have never seen a good explanation for this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'll most likely get answers all over the place for this as everyone seems to have their own way of doing it. This is another example of where I try not to over think things and stick with factory recommendations. My strange rear specifically said not to use synthetic and to run additive. The lack of additive really shouldn't make your rear whine though....it would make it chatter. The synthetic could possibly be why your rear seems a little louder. Personally unless it's really loud I wouldn't worry about it too much but then again.....I wouldn't run synthetic in there and would have the additive.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    so switch to non-synthetic and add the additive?
    YES

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

The additive allows the differential disconnect going through turns without making any noise. The additive doesn't reduce noise. Only the gear oil reduces the noise and lubricates the carrier bearings.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the friction modifier can make noise ( or lack of it rather) but the noise will be a chatter through turns. It's due to the clutches not engaging and disengaging smoothly across the face of the clutch. The question really becomes does the modifier effect the weight of the gear oil? I'm sure it does but how much I don't know. A thicker oil will be quieter but rob more HP. I go back to my original statement though......if you're unsure stick with what the factory recommendations are.

ps
    I'm pretty drunk right now

Thread Information