question on gears

This is a discussion on question on gears within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hi there, Looking for some experience here. I have 353's on my 99m6 ss. wondering what I could expect for ...

black
    1999 camaro ss

question on gears

Hi there,

Looking for some experience here. I have 353's on my 99m6 ss. wondering what I could expect for engine revolutions when doing 65mph if I switch to 411's. Also wondering about 1/4mile gains to be expected with that same chage.

Anyone have any ideas? I am fairly new to this drivetrain performance upgrading stuff...

Thanks for feedback!

racing rev

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I just upgraded to a 4.11 from the stock 3.42. At 70 MPH, my RPM was 1500 and it is now right around 2000. This is for a M6.

Not sure on the 1/4 mile time. Someone will chime in.

BTW - I LOVED that gear change!
    It's on jackstands.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I have 4.10's... Is it a big difference between 4.10's and 4.11's? If not my revs are at like 1800-2000 as well doing 65..

And for 1/4 mile times... well truth is you wont see better times unless you get better tires. My personal experience with nitto drag radials...

Before: I would bog at the line and then just spin 1st and 2nd and my 60's were 2.3, 2.2 and even 2.4 at times..

Now: I hook as soon as i launch and then just goes sideways and spins like crazy all 1st, 2nd, and with street tires even 3rd goes sideways but my 60's are a little better 2.2, 2.1 and on a good day 2.0 but never anything below 2.0 cuz i NEEEEED better tires!!

But you will have lots of fun with new gears

black
    1999 camaro ss

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one...what is a 60??

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys!

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by racingrev View Post
    You'll have to excuse my ignorance on this one...what is a 60??

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys!
    60 feet time when you launch at the drag strip. I have a m6 and had 4.10 and loved them at 70 mph it was 1900 rpms and does help you accelerate. No track time for me didn't want to blow the 10 bolt but blew anyways on the street

black
    1999 camaro ss

ok thanks...just got beat by a cobra the other day and I want to avoid that happening again. I suppose I may need more than some gears though unfortunately...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is your car stock? What year Cobra? Gears do help with acceleration but won't help you any off the line unless you have some sticky tires....but then if you grip hard out of the hole...your 10-bolt rear won't like that too much and might say bye bye to you.

black
    1999 camaro ss

The cobra was a 2003 I think.
    My car is pretty much stock. Just some msd wires, plugs, coil packs, slp cme, slp lid, high flow filter, and smooth bellows. Has the ss package so if I understand that means 353 gears. I am also wondring if the fast intake/throttle body is a worthwhile upgrade...but again you are likely very right. W/O sticky tires all for naught.

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

You have 3 42 gears you need some headers and even a ls6 intake and tune will help. Ok
    The street you will need a least a cam to maybe probly not beat a pulleied cobra my cobra put 470 hp to the wheels. Maybe heads and cam if you want to spend some money what to you want out of the car.
    Last edited by zmg00camaross; 06-19-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fat fingered

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you plan on doing heads and a cam I would say yes to a FAST, otherwise, spend the money on something like headers if you don't have them already. BTW - All 4th generation M6 cars came with a 3.42 gear...

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

you dont have 3.53 gears at all you have 3.42's if your a m6 car. Going to 4.10 gearing you wil be about 1900-2000 rpms at about 65mph its not a big deal and your car will benifit way more. You really wont pull better times unless you got some sticky tires, if you do improve it will very little due to no traction. In your case thats good because if you did have traction and pull off good times you will most likely blow your rear end. Key is youll be in your power quicker and stay there longer even if your not taking off from Zero so no worries. I have to agree with above although there are people with 4.10's or 4.11's with H/C or F/I, traction will be a major issue and its best to stick with the 3.42 gears.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    you dont have 3.53 gears at all you have 3.42's if your a m6 car. Going to 4.10 gearing you wil be about 1900-2000 rpms at about 65mph its not a big deal and your car will benifit way more. You really wont pull better times unless you got some sticky tires, if you do improve it will very little due to no traction. In your case thats good because if you did have traction and pull off good times you will most likely blow your rear end. Key is youll be in your power quicker and stay there longer even if your not taking off from Zero so no worries. I have to agree with above although there are people with 4.10's or 4.11's with H/C or F/I, traction will be a major issue and its best to stick with the 3.42 gears.
    Did you read any of the other posts in here? lol....you just summarized everything already said on this page.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

na, didnt read it at all. Just read your original post. Ive had 5 camaro's and done rear swaps on all. So i know well how it effects performance and reliabilty, if you feel that i wasnt informative then so be it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    na, didnt read it at all. Just read your original post. Ive had 5 camaro's and done rear swaps on all. So i know well how it effects performance and reliabilty, if you feel that i wasnt informative then so be it.
    You were informative...just yankin on your chain.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

If your getting gears, dont forget to tune your speedo for it. Because it will be waaaaay off! 60mph will be the new 45mph...

black
    1999 camaro ss

Cool

This site is great. Love it that a guy like me can benefit from the experience of othrs when deciding how to spend the money I dont have on the car I enjoy so much.

Thank you all for your input.

Thread Information