silver
    2002 camaro z28

question best rear end gear

Any recommendations for the best rear end gears on the street for a 2002 camaro z28?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by johntruax View Post
    Any recommendations for the best rear end gears on the street for a 2002 camaro z28?
    General rule of thumb:

A4 = 373
    M6 = 410

It will largely depend on what your ultimate goal is for the car. Do you plan on running just bolt-ons? Cam? FI?

Another rule of thumb, don't invest any money into the stock 10-bolt.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 02-13-2010 at 01:04 PM.

71 datsun

The term "best" is not the best way to ask a question, what might be best for me may not work well for you. the proper way to go about this is to ask your self exactly what you expect to do with the car, this greatly influences whats best for you, in general rear gears mostly only help a little when compared to other mods, for a auto car you would be better off doing a converter and some other bolt ons first. if your car is a stick and you only are interested in the best gear for drag racing then you want to figure out what gear when combined with your tire size and power level will put you threw the traps at the ideal RPM that assures you have used your cars potential to its fullest in getting down the 1/4, to low of a gear and you may find that your either having to shift into a higher gear then need be or revving past your cars optimum power band. by posting all the information about your car and intentions guys here can much more precisely give you a good idea on a nice gear for your set up.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Then I need to get the same info on my setup also. Presently I have added Heads, Cam, Intake, Headers, with an est. HP of around 390 at the wheels. I have a stock M6 trans, stock drive shaft, stock 10 bolt with 3.42. Car does have good suspension, LCA, Bags, BMR torque arm, Adj, Panhard, Subframe Connectors. Currently rolling on 305/35-18 with M/T drag radials, Please help me determine what would be the best choice of gearing for this setup. Thanks

71 datsun

Quote Originally Posted by Fastdaddy View Post
    Then I need to get the same info on my setup also. Presently I have added Heads, Cam, Intake, Headers, with an est. HP of around 390 at the wheels. I have a stock M6 trans, stock drive shaft, stock 10 bolt with 3.42. Car does have good suspension, LCA, Bags, BMR torque arm, Adj, Panhard, Subframe Connectors. Currently rolling on 305/35-18 with M/T drag radials, Please help me determine what would be the best choice of gearing for this setup. Thanks
    sounds like you want to focus on drag racing so in your case some where between a 3.73 and a 4.10 would be fine. use this page to see the difference in MPH at each rpm for a given gear ratio http://www.f-body.org/gears/

BLACK
    2001 T/A VERT.

Hey Fastdaddy, I have almost the same setup as your runnin w/same hp & close tire size 295-35-18 I went w/4.10's & feel's perfect!!! I owned the car for years & never used 6th gear!!! LOL!!!

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by johntruax View Post
    depends what you want, if you want to wake it up a little and keep relativly good gas mileage go with either 3.90's or 4.10's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fastdaddy View Post
    if all your worried about it going fast save for a new rear end and get some 4.56's

red
    2000 Z28

For the quarter, 4.56's are a little steep. I'd guess that with 390whp, you're peaking at around 6300-6400. With your tire height, 6500 rpm limit and a 4.56 gear is about 112MPH in 4th. Your car is probably a little faster top speed wise than that in the quarter. You could shift to 5th, but that would hurt your ET, or bump the limiter to 7000, but that will reduce your reliability unless you start looking at lightweight top end stuff (ie...spendy) and better than stock rod bolts. 4.11's will give you 125ish at 6500 in 4th which should be good for your power level without murdering your valvetrain.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the input. It sounds like 4.10/4.11 would be a good choice for my setup. I still want the streetable style, doesn't see to much track time, but would like it to be a little quicker off the line..Thanks

Hopefully a 9" ford is in the plans....so for now? Trying to take it easy if there is such a thing.

Thread Information