Propeller shaft question??? Picture enclosed!

This is a discussion on Propeller shaft question??? Picture enclosed! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I have recently swapped the master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate flywheel, clutch, and all bearings and also replaced the ...

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Question Propeller shaft question??? Picture enclosed!

I have recently swapped the master cylinder, slave cylinder, pressure plate flywheel, clutch, and all bearings and also replaced the leaking rear seal. I am 90% there... However this little bar came out of the rear propeller shaft between the rear yoke / driveshaft? Does this little bent piece of metal go in between the roller bearings? I cannot seem to find this little doohickey in any of the helms manuals and since it is bent - was bent when it came out, there is really no easy way of seeing exactly where it went or what it does? ANY assistance will be greatly appreciated! and hopefully I can return the favor with some torque specs or words from the manual in the future. Thanks for your

Green Red Black
    71 SS 00 SS 06 Impy SS

Do you have a steel driveshaft? The picture is way fuzzy but the only thing that it reminds me of is a balance weight for the driveshaft.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

No sorry for the fuzzy picture, it's an alluminum driveshaft which seems to have weights tacked on it?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Never saw anything like that before - should be nothing between the DS yoke and pinion yoke? (other than the u-joint of course)
    2000 Phoenix WS6 Trans Am
    Pride of Western PA Car Shows

426RWHP/418RWTQ N/A (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)
    584RWHP/510RWTQ Massaged by TNT (Mustang Dyno MD-1750)

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Hmmmm Kaliente said that even though the picture seemed fuzzy it remindered her of the keeper on the U joint Im going tby the dealership today to see what they know and if anything buy a new one since this one came out bent... Thanks for your help and I will post my findings out tonight.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Here's my findings...

Well went by the dealership today first stop the parts room pulled up the drawings and NOTHING EVEN CLOSE was on there! I told the guy that when I saw it it was on the front (closest to the motor) of the U joint. But I don't remember how it seated??? He then took it back to there well known Trans Am Mechanic - good guy and he said the only thing it reminded him of was a brake pad clip? The mystery continues but I guess I will leave this as a "spare part" and pray since this is bent and I don't want bent parts going back in- maybe I'm just crazy but seems crazy to put something mysterious and broken back in it especially when I'm not exactly sure what it is well here goes the install completion and a loss of many of fingernails. I'll let you all know how it goes . A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO KALIENTE FOR YOUR HELP ON THIS AND OTHER ISSUES!!! I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR INPUT ON MY PROJECT. Thanks people!

Weird...don't have a clue. Definately not a brake pad clip though.

Pewter
    01 Trans Am

Maybe I should have made this a contest? Free bag of cheetos for whoever correctly tells me where to buy this as a new part, what it is, and how to install it - and I know what a flux capacitor looks like and this wasn't invented when the doc hit his head on the toilet. Kaliente your almost there, couple more answers and that finger coloring goodness is yours!!!

1998 M6 vert TA

I have a similar metal plate in the back of the driveshaft: it keeps the roller bearings together and at the right distance to fit into the yoke. Mine is welded to the caps of the bearings.
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Quote Originally Posted by tici
    I have a similar metal plate in the back of the driveshaft: it keeps the roller bearings together and at the right distance to fit into the yoke. Mine is welded to the caps of the bearings.
    That's what it is. Mine came out too. No worries.

Thread Information