Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Problems with axle seal. Am I being ripped off?

Okay, so this is the second axle seal I have had to have replaced on the TA in the past two months. The dude says that the replacement seal is "just a temp fix" and we'll have to have the whole axle replaced soon. Is this true or does dude just not know WTF he's doing? It was crapping axle grease out behind the break drum and onto the tire rim, back passenger side, even After the seal was replaced last month. I'll post some pics if needed. What should I do if it's still leaking after this replacement?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If the axle is grooved where the seal rides then you'll have to replace the axle for it to seal properly.

OTOH, I know they make offset axle bearings for when the axle is bad where the bearing rides. maybe they also make and offset seal? I really don't know.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

How do the wheel bearings look? I bet the bearings are worn causing you to go through seals. I know at work we always replace the bearings with the seals regardless to avoid this problem.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    How do the wheel bearings look? I bet the bearings are worn causing you to go through seals. I know at work we always replace the bearings with the seals regardless to avoid this problem.
    Had a rear end job right after I got the car in Jan. of 2007. The bearings were probably replaced then. Should they be worn down already? The axle is grooved so I guess we'll wind up getting the axle replaced within the year.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    If the axle is grooved where the seal rides then you'll have to replace the axle for it to seal properly.
    OTOH, I know they make offset axle bearings for when the axle is bad where the bearing rides. maybe they also make and offset seal? I really don't know.
    It is. Shit. Great. Something ELSE to have fixed. I've got an oil leak that they're gonna have to drop the motor to fix the leak, $1,750 for that little errand. I swear I love TA's but I must say I paid 10,500 for it in Dec. of '06 and I've had about 8,000 worth of non-mod repairs done. I'm hoping at some point to get to the bottom of the barrel and have every fucking thing that's wrong with it fixed so that eventually I can have some fun things done.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Sounds like your mechanic should send you a Christmas card every year ... $8k is a boat load for a BMW much less a T/A

silver
    2000 formula

i try to fix everything ..........i dont make 100$ a hr like the stealership charges.......if i had to..........i could drop the motor myself.........for a 10$ gasket

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
    Sounds like your mechanic should send you a Christmas card every year ... $8k is a boat load for a BMW much less a T/A
    Yeah, no shit.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i try to fix everything ..........i dont make 100$ a hr like the stealership charges.......if i had to..........i could drop the motor myself.........for a 10$ gasket
    I wish I had the place to do it and the knowledge. The dude I've been taking it to is a local garage, not the stearlership.

Thread Information