Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Problem with rear-end or drive shaft

Okay, so I've been hearing some funky sound coming from the back of my car. I took it in to my mechanic to have it checked out. He tells me (with this bad look in his face) that he wants to show me something. We walked under the car while it's on the lift and he grabs the driveshaft and as he rotates it one way it makes a small bang before it rotates. Then as he tries to rotate it the opposite way, it bangs and then it rotates, like it's hella loose or something. I'll have to waite until next Tuesday to have them take a look at what might be the problem.

Now, the rear end is stock and does have 4.10 gears. This is my dailydriver so I'm not brutal on the car. I haven't done any dumping of the clutch at +3000 rpm, nor have I done anything to damage the rear end like hitting the car against something or going over huge potholes. Any ideas as to what could have cause this problem? Most likely this is going to be $1500-$2000 out of my wallet and want to get as many opionions as to what could have happened.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Ditch the rear and buy a 12 bolt. Putting money into a stock rear stupid.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I just had $1500 work done to my rear end. They said that it was my bearings that went out. I was at 48,000 miles. Bought the car with 35,000 miles. I don't know what kinda abuse it had before I got it though. But that is what happened to my car...when it went out I tried to drive and when I would start to take off and release the clutch, there was this horrible bang! I'm just glad i had a warranty. How many miles do you have on it?

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Ditch the rear and buy a 12 bolt. Putting money into a stock rear stupid.
    He is correct,,,especially when you start talking upwards of $1500,,,sheeesh you can buy a drop in and ready to go 12 bolt or 9 inch for about $2,000 and be done with it. It's the best upgrade to any 3rd or 4th gen you can do in my opinion,,,the 7.5 inch 10 bolt was the biggest mistake GM made with these cars.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    Okay, so I've been hearing some funky sound coming from the back of my car. I took it in to my mechanic to have it checked out. He tells me (with this bad look in his face) that he wants to show me something. We walked under the car while it's on the lift and he grabs the driveshaft and as he rotates it one way it makes a small bang before it rotates. Then as he tries to rotate it the opposite way, it bangs and then it rotates, like it's hella loose or something. I'll have to waite until next Tuesday to have them take a look at what might be the problem.

Now, the rear end is stock and does have 4.10 gears. This is my dailydriver so I'm not brutal on the car. I haven't done any dumping of the clutch at +3000 rpm, nor have I done anything to damage the rear end like hitting the car against something or going over huge potholes. Any ideas as to what could have cause this problem? Most likely this is going to be $1500-$2000 out of my wallet and want to get as many opionions as to what could have happened.
    it might just be the u-joint... but i dont know how much play it has in it

cross your fingers that thats the case because u-joints are 10-20 bucks and easy to replace

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

WOW!! That was fast.
    Quick stats:

1) 1998 Z28
    2) bought the car in 2001 with 25,000 miles
    3) car was purchased somewhere in central California (highway miles?)
    4) car has about 82,000 miles on it
    5) put in 4.10s about 3 1/2 years ago
    never dumped the clutch past 2k rpm off the line - always from a roll
    6) there's about 1/2 inch in play

Thanks for the quick help. The thing is that right now i really can't afford to drop $2-3K for a new rear.

Dark Blue
    2000 S-10

crawl under the car and look at the u joint

turn the driveshaft back and forth and see if you can see any play in the u-joint, it shouldnt be difficult to spot.

if u cant see any play the problem is probably worse.

if its a rear end problem it shouoldnt be a $2000 fix

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

could also just be a loose bolt inside the housing. Had that similar problem turns out one of my braces that hold the pumpkin in place were not tightened by my local Pontiac dealership (which went out of business). They were in there to do some warranty work. Hopefully you will get lucky and it be something small. My mechanic found that when I was getting my 4.10s installed. New 4.10s, new (k, slightly used)axle, new bearings, plus labor was still under $500. And he supplied all the parts. Hopefully you have a good mechanic too...

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

There was some play with the u-joint. Hopefully, next Tuesday when I take it in, I'll be hit with only a $$ fix - not a $$$$ one.

Thread Information