Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Possible to rebuild a torque converter???

Like the title says is it possible to rebuild the torque converter? Reason me asking is because a friend of mine has a wrecked TA and he says the tranny wasn't at its all best before he wrecked it, the torque converter has a burnt like smell to it. So is it possible to get a torque converter rebuilt? Thx in advance.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Yes it is but as far as I know you need to send it back to the manufacturer to get it rebuilt especially if it is an aftermarket unit, if it is a stock one I wouldn't bother with the stock unit and buy an aftermarket one. What torque converter is it?
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-18-2014 at 06:52 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Possible to rebuild a torque converter???

Im not sure on which torque converter it is, let me try to find out. It wouldn't be possible to rebuild it by sending it to a shop tho?

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

If it is an aftermarket converter, it def can be rebuilt, but it wont be for free. If it is a factory convertor, then now is the perfect time to upgrade to an aftermarket 1. For what they cost, it's one of the best bang for the buck deals for an auto trans. Depending on the mods to the current engine, you can get the perfect match for your current mods and future mods. Most aftermarket companies give you a free re-stall. That's where they change the stall settings to a higher (or lower) stall, depending on your application.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    If it is an aftermarket converter, it def can be rebuilt, but it wont be for free. If it is a factory convertor, then now is the perfect time to upgrade to an aftermarket 1. For what they cost, it's one of the best bang for the buck deals for an auto trans. Depending on the mods to the current engine, you can get the perfect match for your current mods and future mods. Most aftermarket companies give you a free re-stall. That's where they change the stall settings to a higher (or lower) stall, depending on your application.
    It's an aftermarket converter of that im sure. I guess I'll try taking it over the border to see if they can rebuild it and how much. Thx guys

Thread Information