rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Posi Vs. Truetrac

So the time has come for a 12 bolt. I made one pass with the POS 10 bolt on drag radials and heard a loud ass pop, so that was enough for me, last thing I want is to tow this thing home.

Due to the fact that I do DD the car a little, plan to use it on road racing courses, and use it on the strip I've decided I should stick with a LSD and stay away from a locker/spool unit.

So I have 2 questions. 1: should I go with a posi or truetrac? I know the basic structural difference between the two (Posi uses clutch packs. Truetrac uses worm gears). From what I understand the Truetrac is more reliable and can handle more torque, but since I'll be road racing I also need a unit that'll behave under tight cornering conditions, so in that regard, do the two units have any differences?

Question 2: are the 33 spline axles overkill? From what I understand, the formula to calculate torque rating for the axles is as follows: 1st gear ratio X Ring and Pinion Ratio X Peak Torque X .9 (drive line loss). From what I hear, the 30 spline is rated 6200 lb-ft. So if I eventually work my way up to 450 RWTQ (ambitious, I know), with 4.10s, i'll be at 4416 lb-ft. So I should be fine with the 30 spline right? I don't wanna overkill and lose power on the dyno due to going with the 33 spline if they aren't necessary. (I go to dyno events and such).
    M6, MS3 Cam, FAST 92/92, LS7 Clutch, Hurst Comp/Plus Shifter, Lid, K&N, OBX LT's, 3in ORX True Duals, KYB AGX shocks, BMR 3-Point SFCs, BMR springs, BMR Adj. PHR, LCA Relos, STB, 315 NT555Rs, DeepDish C5Z06s.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Subscribed as I am very hard on my toys and will probably be down this road sooner than I hope.

Thread Information