Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Posi True Trac questions

Im getting my Moser 9" installed in my car and it has a True Trac posi. What is the difference over the stock 10 bolt limited slip diff? Will this provide better traction at all? in the summer its my DD, does the posi cause it to corner differently or cause noises around turns such as tire screetch or different feeling in the car when turning?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

true track is a worm gear diff I belive. Standard diffs are clutch packs that are friction based. I have talked to people that say the trutrac will not hok up as fast as a typical limmited slip but I don't know personally
    http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...trac/index.htm

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

For a DD that goes through rain and possibly snow, I would go with the TrueTrac. The TrueTrac is basically the same thing as the Torsen but stronger. They are great at maintaining traction and from keeping the rear from loosing traction around a tight turn. A posi should not lock up and make the tires squeal when going around tight turns except if the clutches are packed tight. Packing them tight can be a little annoying and cause a wierd vibration in the floor when they do slip but it is a cheap alternative to a locker or spool. I prefer the posi as it is way more fun to drive if you like hanging the tailend out!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    For a DD that goes through rain and possibly snow, I would go with the TrueTrac. The TrueTrac is basically the same thing as the Torsen but stronger. They are great at maintaining traction and from keeping the rear from loosing traction around a tight turn. A posi should not lock up and make the tires squeal when going around tight turns except if the clutches are packed tight. Packing them tight can be a little annoying and cause a wierd vibration in the floor when they do slip but it is a cheap alternative to a locker or spool. I prefer the posi as it is way more fun to drive if you like hanging the tailend out!!
    So what is the difference between a locker/spool and a posi? I thought with a posi the tires were pretty much locked together unlike one wheel peel you can get from a limited slip?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

with a spool your tires are locked all the time. Great traction, but with good tires they hammer hard on tight turns do to not being able to unlock. Locker is noisy and slams in, but has great straigt traction.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    So what is the difference between a locker/spool and a posi? I thought with a posi the tires were pretty much locked together unlike one wheel peel you can get from a limited slip?
    A posi and limited slip are basically the same. One wheel peel is an open rear.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

A posi and limited slip are basically the same. One wheel peel is an open rear.
    Ok so with the posi unit in my Moser 9" i shouldnt have any problems around turns then?

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Ok so with the posi unit in my Moser 9" i shouldnt have any problems around turns then?
    No, you should not have any problems. you shouldn't even hear it.

Now you can pull the clutches and add a shim to tighten it up but it may get noisey but it will stay locked.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

No, you should not have any problems. you shouldn't even hear it.

Now you can pull the clutches and add a shim to tighten it up but it may get noisey but it will stay locked.
    Ok thanks for your help. Its all put together allready so im not messing with it. Im just swapping it with my broken 10 bolt

Thread Information