Posi rear's are fun with worn tires

This is a discussion on Posi rear's are fun with worn tires within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; This is the first time I've ever noticed this but with these cheap ass Dayton Daytona stock size tires on ...

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

Posi rear's are fun with worn tires

This is the first time I've ever noticed this but with these cheap ass Dayton Daytona stock size tires on my Z-28 the rear end skips and barks the tires whenever I make a sharp turn from a stop or slow roll. One of my buddies from work thought my car was messed up the way it would hop around while turning, heh, heh, nope it's just a posi being a posi. Anyway to the point, would a 3.73 or 3.42 benefit me greatly on an Automatic camaro? My Z-28 has the 3.23's now and has a really hard time finding traction till over 55mph. A stall converter is in the near future as well, something around a 3500 RPM stall. Thanks

RED
    1998 TRANS AM

If you really want some fun go with the 3:73's,but the 3:42's are a good step up.3:42 doesn't sound like a big jump,but what is the kicker is that the 3:42 has 0nly12 teeth pinion,wereas the 3:23 has 13pinion,thats a good jump on torque.plus the 3:42 also has 1 more tooth on the ring.so numerically not a big jump,but the way it occurs is the trade off,what does this mean?it means you still get good mileage,& performance.I have a 98 t/a w/ 3:42,I had to replace the rear end(you know worn bearings,all that)& had gotten a 3:23 because my rpo code was 3:23(someone had changed it previously)well needless to say I had to have my 3:42 back,I really dig that hard hit comin on,& you know what thats about,when she's comin on she's not holdin back!your choice,its definitely worth it. p.s.your gonna need tires to handle it

Thread Information