Met. Blue w/gold Flakes
    1998 Camaro Ultra-Z

Unhappy Please Help...No clue whats going on!

Okay guys, I have a 98 LS1 Camaro....now whats happening is very weird. My car drives normal, even races really well at the track, however, whenever I am driving and need to slow down...I push the brake and right when I am coming to a stop, I feel these crashing thunks from under me...sort of near the differential to the transmission. People have suggested its my U-joint broken, but i was comfirmed by someone else that the 98 and up Z28's dont even have u joints. So any I wonder if you guys can me, thanks.
    -Richard

black
    2002 WS6

First off, who ever told you that you don't have u joints is full of it, they allow for movement between the rear axel and the tranny amung other things. The beast recomendation I can give is to get the car up on stands and go over the entire drive line looking for any brokrn or loose parts, ioncluding the brakes.

Met. Blue w/gold Flakes
    1998 Camaro Ultra-Z

Yeah , i thought that was weird, no u joints....but when i went down the dealership and they told me there is no ujoint for my car in the system...I was like "what?" Well, i definately know its not brakes, they work great. The thunk happens when the transmission changes/lowers the gears, mainly 2nd to 1st. Ive had this problem for even 2 years now, Ive race with out problems and everything, it just buggs the hell out of me and my fam/friends. My tranny did get rebuilt right after this occured, and even the transmission guys told i need to check something out in the differential, but I just wanted to ask you all, becuz well, I dont want to spend a $1000 dollars just for the dealership fags to look at it!

black
    2002 WS6

One thing does come to mind, well two, one easy to check, the other not so much. Drop the drive shaft and check the tail shaft and slip yoak on the drive shaft for any binding, look for bent/broken splines and forgein material. The other would be somthing in the in the 1-2 ciciut of the tranny which could be anything. I have an old powerglide that does the samething but have yet to take it apart to find out the cause. I have no other ideas beyond that. If it was something in the diff you would really notice it all the time, but i guess it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the inside and the axel shaft for abnormal wear.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Check the torque arm bolts/mount.

Thread Information