Pinion Seal

This is a discussion on Pinion Seal within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Yes, again so I replaced the pinion seal on my 2002 and it only turned out to leak worse than ...

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Pinion Seal

Yes, again so I replaced the pinion seal on my 2002 and it only turned out to leak worse than the previous one so upon some web searching I found that 02's have a different seal than the rest of the cars and if replaced with another seal then it'll only leak like a mofo, the way it has been leaking.... Anybody have a clue where I can get the 02 pinion seal? Dealership? If I could get a part number I would forever be thankful!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

01-02 Fbody's use the larger pinion seal, which is part number 12471523

I also think you need to remove a sleeve for it to fit correctly if you have the smaller pinion seal.

Either way should work.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    01-02 Fbody's use the larger pinion seal, which is part number 12471523

I also think you need to remove a sleeve for it to fit correctly if you have the smaller pinion seal.

Either way should work.
    Thanks!! I will try that one and hopefully the leak stops or at least goes down to a minimum till the 12 bolt can be purchased

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would verify that part number if you can. I found that information on the other site.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would verify that part number if you can. I found that information on the other site.
    Yeah I googled it and came up with some results right away, looks like I'm gonna have to do the pinion seal and yoke seal to stop the leaking. Got the part numbers to those as well now, thanks again!

Edit: Looks like all I come up with is a "yoke kit" ($70ish) can't I just get the seal or is that what the "kit" actually is?
    Last edited by silverWS6; 07-27-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Yeah I googled it and came up with some results right away, looks like I'm gonna have to do the pinion seal and yoke seal to stop the leaking. Got the part numbers to those as well now, thanks again!

Edit: Looks like all I come up with is a "yoke kit" ($70ish) can't I just get the seal or is that what the "kit" actually is?
    You can get just the seal at AAP, Napa, AZ, etc. Take your old one with you to be sure it fits. The ID is different between the earlier and later versions. No dealer required.

Jon
    35th Anniversary LE # 167 SLP # 1084

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by jfl330 View Post
    You can get just the seal at AAP, Napa, AZ, etc. Take your old one with you to be sure it fits. The ID is different between the earlier and later versions. No dealer required.

Jon
    I don't have the original one anymore the problem started when I did my gears, the guy apparently put the wrong seal on so that would leak a little so then I tried replacing it and then it just kept leaking but it was more this time.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i keep reading that these 10 bolts tend to bust the pinion seal alot... mine needs to be replaced but it a very small leak. is just aggravating to see the bottom of the car all greased up...

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    i keep reading that these 10 bolts tend to bust the pinion seal alot... mine needs to be replaced but it a very small leak. is just aggravating to see the bottom of the car all greased up...
    Ughhhh yeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Mine is disgusting mess now

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have the same problem. Always had the greased up under carraige for a small pinion leak. I changed gears and it's the same deal with the new seal. I am going to try a new seal soon, but not expecting any improvement. I get about a drop or two on the driveway after driving as well, super annoying. Maybe someday I'll have the cash for a completely new rear.

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Yes, again so I replaced the pinion seal on my 2002 and it only turned out to leak worse than the previous one so upon some web searching I found that 02's have a different seal than the rest of the cars and if replaced with another seal then it'll only leak like a mofo, the way it has been leaking.... Anybody have a clue where I can get the 02 pinion seal? Dealership? If I could get a part number I would forever be thankful!!
    Hate to break it to you man, but usually you only get one chance to replace a pinion seal after the crush sleeve on the pinion has been crushed. Usually by the second attempt the crush sleeve is shot.

This requires the pinion to be pulled back out and a new crush sleeve installed prior to the new pinion seal being installed.

You might get away with it...but the preload will probably end up on the high side, and pinion bearing failure will result.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by vette&ws6 View Post
    Hate to break it to you man, but usually you only get one chance to replace a pinion seal after the crush sleeve on the pinion has been crushed. Usually by the second attempt the crush sleeve is shot.

This requires the pinion to be pulled back out and a new crush sleeve installed prior to the new pinion seal being installed.

You might get away with it...but the preload will probably end up on the high side, and pinion bearing failure will result.
    Thats why i havent mess with it either i heard this before too.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Well it looks like I tried to bite a bullet that's too big for me... Last time I replaced it, I just pulled the driveshaft out (only on the rearend side), took out the yoke then pulled out the old seal, put the new seal in, tightened the yoke bolt(?) again, put the driveshaft back and called it a day

blue
    1999 TransAm

hmm, so basically it's best to just leave it be? so, if one is to stop the chronic leaks, one has to do an differential overhaul and re-setup to properly get a new seal and crush sleave on? seems mine has always leaked, and continues even after a diff rebuild a few years ago...

i guess the question is - does anyone have one that doesn't leak?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mine started leaking at 12K miles on a garage queen. That was right about the time I got my 9". I got lucky and was able to sell it for $425

Black, Black
    2000 Vette, 2006 MC SS

At the chevy dealership we have a hunch that the reason pinion seals leak on these f-body's is because of the torque arm design.

This is only a hunch and I don't have actual proof. I think that the bolts for the torque arm that run through the snout of the rear differential housing may cause the housing to distort at the pinion seal area and become slightly out of round. You would most likely not see it with your naked eye and of course the new seal will take the shape of the housing when driven in. This will cause the new seal to start leaking after no time at all.

When I had my 2002 WS6 I just lived with the seepage. If its leaking badly then you may want to take a close look, or even measurements, of the pinion seal
    bore.

Like I said...I don't know this to be fact. Just some food for thought.

Thread Information