pedal wont return after master cylinder change

This is a discussion on pedal wont return after master cylinder change within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok so i replaced my stock master cylinder with a Ram adjustable one and now i cannot get the pedal ...

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

pedal wont return after master cylinder change

ok so i replaced my stock master cylinder with a Ram adjustable one and now i cannot get the pedal to return on its own.. I bled the new master before inserting the line into the slave, meaning when i hold the pedal down and push the line in, fluid comes flying out. so then i proceed to insert the line into the slave, it like clicks in then i give it a tug and it doesnt come back out. so i have whoever is helping me pump it 3 times, hold it to the floor and i crack the bleeder screw, close it, they release and we repeat. Fluid is coming out of the bleeder. but the pedal will not return on its own.

As a test i lowered the car, started it, pushed the pedal in and it wont go into gear.

Everything was working when i pulled the stock master out. my slave would not magically take a dump on me between switching these out. so what gives?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Sounds like something is a mess inside the car with the peddle assembly. Can't remember where the return spring is but I think it's inside at the firewall. sounds like it might have come undone?
    Another problem I used to have older vettes is the booster pushrod size and length. it could be getting jammed in the master or not be long enough.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

well even if the return spring is broken i should still be able to build pedal pressure correct? the spring is still up there and intact so i doubt it but ill look at it.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

alright so i took it back out and tried bench bleeding it. Well when i bench bled my last one, the stock one, i bench bled it until it got very very hard to push down. On this one, it never gets firm or even gets harder to push down. So what could be bad in it?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Oh duh Your talking clutch master. ok tell you what man I would post this in the manual trans section. a lot of guys in there know RAM parts. http://www.ls1.com/forums/f65/

Thread Information