Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Passengers side axle play: in/out

This is a discussion on Passengers side axle play: in/out within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Zapper2003 the fucking camera is the biggest piece of shit in the world, i got ONE picture ...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    the fucking camera is the biggest piece of shit in the world, i got ONE picture and im positive its blurry. regardless, im not going to pull this in the whole way out due to the LSD springs/plates putting incredible tension on the pin and i'm afraid once it does come apart, its going to be REALLY apart.
    The springs will not come out. Take a brass drift and tap on the pin.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I dont want those plates and springs for the LSD moving, ive got the pin halfway out, and the end of the plate that doesn't have the pin in it, has closed the pin hole up probably 1/16th of an inch or so and realigning i have an idea will be a bish.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

i've been using the hammer/punch method to get it to where i've got it so far. The pin is grooved pretty hard where the spider gear has ridden on it.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I dont want those plates and springs for the LSD moving, ive got the pin halfway out, and the end of the plate that doesn't have the pin in it, has closed the pin hole up probably 1/16th of an inch or so and realigning i have an idea will be a bish.
    They will not come out. And if they move, you can put them back into place.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

so basically just nut up and pull the pin the rest of the way out and get that pass. side axleshaft outta there..

either way, im looking at replacing the axle and carrier probably methinks...which i'd just do an entire axle if i was going that far.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

so basically just nut up and pull the pin the rest of the way out and get that pass. side axleshaft outta there..

either way, im looking at replacing the axle and carrier probably methinks...which i'd just do an entire axle if i was going that far.
    Well, I am thinking that you don't have a bunch of money to dump into the rear? So I would shoot for doing the repair.

Was the LSD working? I am guessing it wasn't

Was the rear low on fluid?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Money isn't a real issue, i do not know what the 'yard is going to charge for a complete unit, however, i'm going to guess somewhere in the 2-300$ range, depending on his mood and who i talk to, and they'll have to pull it. The LSD was working sometimes. If i did a brakestand it would work, however to take off around a corner from a stop only the inside tire in the corner would spin. The cover had never been off for the first 100k miles of this cars life, so i'm sure the LSD clutches were non-existant when I got it. Fluid level was good when i pulled the cover the first time, and when i refilled it was running out the fill hole when i plugged it back up, so to my knowledge, thats full.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Money isn't a real issue, i do not know what the 'yard is going to charge for a complete unit, however, i'm going to guess somewhere in the 2-300$ range, depending on his mood and who i talk to, and they'll have to pull it. The LSD was working sometimes. If i did a brakestand it would work, however to take off around a corner from a stop only the inside tire in the corner would spin. The cover had never been off for the first 100k miles of this cars life, so i'm sure the LSD clutches were non-existant when I got it. Fluid level was good when i pulled the cover the first time, and when i refilled it was running out the fill hole when i plugged it back up, so to my knowledge, thats full.
    O.K., I figured you were gonna throw an axle, c-clip and center pin in and go.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

would replacing both c-clips and the center pin be a feasable option? I am uploading some pictures here shortly of said pieces. The center pin is worn pretty good, as well as the passengers side c-clip, both worn, however, the axle itself appears to be OKAY, and i cant get the drivers side c-clip out because it won't push 'in' far enough to clear the metal plate of the spring thing

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

my T/A has a similar problem...when i get down on the rear tires and start to shake side to side it makes a clanking sound....and when im driving and turn to the left it makes a similar noise except much more rapidly.... any ideas?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

well i got the pin out and the cclip on the passengers side axle. I cant get the drivers side to push in far enough to clear the metal plate the spring is holding. Would it help to lightly tap the end of the axleshaft with a block of wood to maybe disengage the cclip and get it out of there? Heres a couple pics.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

that pin, on the bottom end (the way its oriented in the picture) is worn just like you see at the top next to that hole, but on the back side where you cant see it. The c-clip is worn and grooved like in the picture on the other side as well. The axleshaft itself is not worn.

Replace just the pin and the clips?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

ordered new pin, retainer bolt for the pin and 2 c-clips, gonna run me close to 40 bucks. We'll see how that does for the play in the rear, and if that doesn't help, next best thing is a whole new junkyard rear for 100$.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

ordered new pin, retainer bolt for the pin and 2 c-clips, gonna run me close to 40 bucks. We'll see how that does for the play in the rear, and if that doesn't help, next best thing is a whole new junkyard rear for 100$.
    Honestly, you should look into why the pin wore like it did. Replacing that pin is not gonna solve the problem.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

in order to get the spiders out those springs gotta come out and taking this thing down any further isn't in the cards. Im replacing the parts to basically prove that replacing them isnt going to take up the slop. Something else is causing this i'm sure. I will probably end up with a new rearend by spring with a bit of rear suspension mods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information